HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:56 PM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
549 Posts
Another 4 flights on the Phoenix today in perfect Spring weather, using the 3S 1500mAH battery set to the rear of battery tray. Average flights of about 15minutes, mix of gliding and power. Flying all stock power system and am impressed to date. Careful not to run under full power too much. Everything just comes in "warm"
Still using flaperons and at this stage see little need to install separate flaps.
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:40 PM
Joined Jun 2011
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomracing View Post
has anyone found replacement parts for the phoenix? i need a new wing. mine is a 4 piece wing now. had a fight with mr gravity, and a maple tree. guess who won?
get a hole spare plane for the price of one wing

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ider_ARF_.html
zutta is offline Find More Posts by zutta
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:37 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,155 Posts
Zutta, What do you mean by 'get a hole (whole?) spare plane for the price of one wing'?

Are you referring to fact that plane is;
1/ 'Cheaper' to buy at Hobby King or
2/ That they are the 'freebie' of the Day? (HK is currently running a 'freebie' promotion, other than postage the cost of an item is $0)

Other than that, I don't understand what you mean because I thought that's where everyone was buying the Phoenix 2000 from anyway.
I bought my two gliders from the AU warehouse at a slightly higher cost than the Hong Kong warehouse, but it balances out due to much lower postage.
-B!LL!

PS: Doomracing, Don't ya hate when the only the tree within 2 miles of the flying field is a magic one that jumps out in front of planes! -LOL
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Last edited by Fugitive_Bill; Nov 15, 2011 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:55 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,919 Posts
The problem with anything large from the HK warehouse is the postage as Bill has already stated but even worse is the customs duty & the Post Office admin cost for collecting it. I managed to avoid this on my first two imports (Flycat & F-35 EDF) but now my card is marked & every time it add's c.25 to the cost. I now see if it's stocked in the German warehouse before hitting the buy button. Just a shame they don't stock more of a range of models as I really fancy the Rarebear on 4 cells

Decals - as some have already stated, they are thin and can be a pain in the a to apply as they tend to curl back and stick to themselves. I cured this by peeling away about 30% of the sticker from the larger end and cutting off this portion of the backing sheet. I then applied a small piece of of backing sheet to each flame end as this weighed them down, stopping them curling up. Position the exposed portion of the sticker and carefully place in position. Don't press down hard on it until you are happy. I found I could peel it away several times without problem. Once happy gradually peel away the remaining backing sheet smoothing down as you go.

Some builder have commented on the need to add epoxy to where the vertical stab goes into the plastic bracket. My vert stab is a nice snug fit as it has some clear plastic glued either side of the base where it slots into the bracket. Perhaps some kits are missing this or maybe later kits have been modified..
The only build issue I had, despite the lack of any English instructions (mine consisted of 1 page of minute German text with just a few pictures)was one of the rear wing mounting holes is out of alignment. I have to push the two wing panels together whilst inserting and driving home the mounting bolt. This is after slightly enlarging the plastic insert. Anybody come across this problem and is the solution to sand the mating surface? I reckon it's about 2 mm out! I've also got a selection of screws left over but can't see where these would be needed as they aren't just duplicates.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:57 AM
Joined Oct 2011
25 Posts
motor fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_ATL View Post
That sound a very good idea... I do not plan to use motor all the time and would like to use this motor: http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?...e=12&line=GOLD

It will fit?
the diameter of the motor may be too large. Looks too heavy also. this is the recommended motor by the thread 2836 - 1000kv Turnigy heres the link
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8139
bluegsxr6 is offline Find More Posts by bluegsxr6
Last edited by bluegsxr6; Nov 16, 2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:28 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_ATL View Post
That sound a very good idea... I do not plan to use motor all the time and would like to use this motor: http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?...e=12&line=GOLD

It will fit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegsxr6 View Post
the diameter of the motor may be too large. Looks too heavy also. this is the recommended motor by the thread 2836 - 1000kv Turnigy heres the link
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8139
35mm OD motors do fit, but at 151g that AXi is probably twice the weight of an adequate motor for the Phoenix. This one is still large and beefy but much lighter:

http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?...e=16&line=GOLD

The AXi motors are very efficient - noticeably more than anything I've tried from Turnigy/HK.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:38 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,919 Posts
The extra weight and power will also put more stress on an acknowledged weak point
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:04 AM
Spain
Joined May 2011
93 Posts
removed...
datyip is offline Find More Posts by datyip
Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:04 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
772 Posts
Thanks for your reply...
Indeed I was considering this motor to the phoenix evolution 2.6m but as I know they share the same fuselage...
HF_ATL is offline Find More Posts by HF_ATL
Old Nov 20, 2011, 04:00 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,404 Posts
What do you guys think about mounting a 150g hd cam further out on the wing, so that the prop would be out of site? Do you think the wing would be strong enough for such abuse?
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Nov 20, 2011, 04:45 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
What do you guys think about mounting a 150g hd cam further out on the wing, so that the prop would be out of site? Do you think the wing would be strong enough for such abuse?
One wing being that heavy ,your heading for trouble...
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Nov 20, 2011, 04:53 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,404 Posts
i thought so
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Nov 20, 2011, 05:04 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
i thought so
Why not just make/build a platform that sits higher above the fuse and clears the view of the prop....

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:40 AM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,947 Posts
Just angle it away from the prop....

Hold on... most of the flight the prop is tucked away, folded.... are you sure you have a problem that needs fixing here?

Toppers
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:51 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
Just angle it away from the prop....

Hold on... most of the flight the prop is tucked away, folded.... are you sure you have a problem that needs fixing here?

Toppers
That was my first thought too!

Also it would it not take much of a counter-weight on the underside of the opposite wing tip to balance it out?

B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill