SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:37 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,079 Posts
Nice job Invenext and welcome to RC Groups. It's not clear from the pictures but did you add extra screws through the fuse into your new motor mount? Just thinking that the four screws holding the battery tray are small so some extra screws into the mount couldn't hurt. You wouldn't want to see your motor, lipo and esc try to exit through the front. Might upset the c of g
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:57 PM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
Reporting a successful maiden of my Phoenix today. Winds about 7-10mph so not perfect.........but I wasn't waiting any longer!

Had the 1600mAH 3S battery set level with front of battery tray. Launch at 60%throttle. Easy as, nice and smooth as it gently climbed. Flew for about 5 minutes with a mix of on/off power getting the feel of the model. Nothing crazy, though did perform two loops. Had to hold "up" elevator quite a bit when power was off, so determined battery needs to go back. Deployed flapperons and landed beautifully.
Shifted battery for second launch, so now 1 inch from front edge of tray, flew another 4 minutes on same battery, then landed as the winds increased. Checked motor temp. Was warm but not hot. Battery cool. On charge put 792mAH back into the battery.

Overall am very impressed with my initial flight of the Phoenix and look forward to getting the model properly trimmed out. Can't believe this plane from HK only cost $95 delivered to my door!
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Last edited by bonnie9496; Nov 15, 2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:07 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Got my second flight in today. Smooth day in Vegas, i HAD to bring the plane down due to the sun setting! It just wanted to float forever. I'm flying with a 3s 1300 battery, a 30A Exceed Proton ESC, and this motor: http://www.toysonics.com/aeorc-a28xl...ess-motor.html

MORE than enough power on the stock prop for easy climbs to altitude, and I'm only burning 26a and around 300w at max throttle.

Again, very impressed with this plane, and all the advice available. Never would have known not to use the stock motor/esc combo without this thread!

-G
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:24 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Glad every one in enjoying there Pheonix gliders...

I sold mine the other week, got a good price..
I was happy , the guy that bought it off me was very happy,as all the mods had been done....

Only sold it as I wasn't flying in as much since I'd got my Cularis..

Spent the money , on buying another 2 Radians Mk1's
( just love them gliders)

Two for one ,can't be bad....

but I'll still keep a eye on this thread ,to help out in anyway I can...

Regards to all..

Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:21 PM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickg66 View Post
Got my second flight in today. Smooth day in Vegas, i HAD to bring the plane down due to the sun setting! It just wanted to float forever. I'm flying with a 3s 1300 battery,-G
Slick, Where have you positioned your battery when using the 1300mAH ?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:24 PM
nph
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Oct 2010
184 Posts
Flap setting recommendation_

I just finished building my Phoenix with flaps, added Hitec servos and just finished programming my radio for it.
A question though, since this is my second glider, Radian was the first, maybe I should adjust my flaps a little. Right now I have three flap positions, slightly up for the reflex, 3 mm roughly, then neutral position inline with the wing and finally for break (Landing) I have 15 mm down.

However since I would really like for it to go slow initially while I get used to it would it make sense for me to skip the reflex mode and instead have neutral, and Camber (slightly down and how many mm do you suggest) to slow it down?
Plus would that be a good way to slow it down while I am getting to know my new bird?

Thanks for any insights, still learning!
Btw, mine came with a lot of extra parts I never ended up using. The firewall is now metal and the only drawback I see is the fuss when I have to take it apart for transportation. Radian is so much easier but I like this fuse better!
nph is offline Find More Posts by nph
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:15 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
Slick, Where have you positioned your battery when using the 1300mAH ?
I have the battery aligned with the back edge of the battery tray
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:52 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickg66 View Post
I have the battery aligned with the back edge of the battery tray
Thanks for the info.
Keen not to add too much weight and have three batteries to use that I think might be suitable:
1600mAH 132g (have tried this)
1500mAH 121g
1300mAH 114g

Weather looks good tomorrow so hopefully will conduct more trial flights.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 02:14 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nph View Post
I just finished building my Phoenix with flaps, added Hitec servos and just finished programming my radio for it.
A question though, since this is my second glider, Radian was the first, maybe I should adjust my flaps a little. Right now I have three flap positions, slightly up for the reflex, 3 mm roughly, then neutral position inline with the wing and finally for break (Landing) I have 15 mm down.

However since I would really like for it to go slow initially while I get used to it would it make sense for me to skip the reflex mode and instead have neutral, and Camber (slightly down and how many mm do you suggest) to slow it down?
Plus would that be a good way to slow it down while I am getting to know my new bird?

Thanks for any insights, still learning!
Btw, mine came with a lot of extra parts I never ended up using. The firewall is now metal and the only drawback I see is the fuss when I have to take it apart for transportation. Radian is so much easier but I like this fuse better!
If you're plane is going too fast you might have either your weight too much forward OR your elevator too much down.

Offcourse you can use your flaps for slowing down but it will also loose altitude rapidly.

Just play a bit with your battery by moving it back a bit and see how she's flying then......

I am perfectly capable of slowing it down to a near standstill without using the flaps. I use camber to give it more lift in a thermal and reflex to speed to another one.
If I use the flaps the plane practically stops in the air, you have to compensate with elevator to level it out though.....
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Nov 15, 2011, 05:33 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,079 Posts
Maiden completed today in less than ideal conditions with dull sky and 15 mph easterly. I used a Gen Ace 1800 25c 3 cell moved back to where the battery tray has a cut out for the esc cable and she balanced c.8mm forward of the c of g marks. I put in some up trim, pointed her into wind and at 75% power she was away. Way too much up and needed some left trim but I soon had her flying well. She handled the wind really well and slowed down nicely for a perfect landing. I had forgotten to set the esc brake on so the glide performance was hampered but this did at least mean that she landed in a short stretch.
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:48 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
784 Posts
Is really necessary to reinforce the firewall? Another option than using fiberglass?

thanks
HF_ATL is offline Find More Posts by HF_ATL
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:11 AM
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_ATL View Post
Is really necessary to reinforce the firewall? Another option than using fiberglass?

thanks
Lots of people are having very good experience just with putting the plywood part on the inside and the metal part (Both in the box) on the outside. You'll have to get longer screws to hold your engine but if you are not going full throttle all the time she should be allright!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:15 AM
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Maiden completed today in less than ideal conditions with dull sky and 15 mph easterly. I used a Gen Ace 1800 25c 3 cell moved back to where the battery tray has a cut out for the esc cable and she balanced c.8mm forward of the c of g marks. I put in some up trim, pointed her into wind and at 75% power she was away. Way too much up and needed some left trim but I soon had her flying well. She handled the wind really well and slowed down nicely for a perfect landing. I had forgotten to set the esc brake on so the glide performance was hampered but this did at least mean that she landed in a short stretch.
Andy
Congrats on a flawless maiden! You'll have lots of fun with this plane.
Wheater permitting I'll say.......at the moment winter is coming (! GOT) and not much flying here. Thermals she needs, waiting for spring to arrive.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:16 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
784 Posts
That sound a very good idea... I do not plan to use motor all the time and would like to use this motor: http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?...e=12&line=GOLD

It will fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
Lots of people are having very good experience just with putting the plywood part on the inside and the metal part (Both in the box) on the outside. You'll have to get longer screws to hold your engine but if you are not going full throttle all the time she should be allright!
HF_ATL is offline Find More Posts by HF_ATL
Old Nov 15, 2011, 03:38 PM
Joined Sep 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Nice job Invenext and welcome to RC Groups. It's not clear from the pictures but did you add extra screws through the fuse into your new motor mount? Just thinking that the four screws holding the battery tray are small so some extra screws into the mount couldn't hurt. You wouldn't want to see your motor, lipo and esc try to exit through the front. Might upset the c of g
Andy
Thanks! I was wondering if anyone would notice that was my first post. I have not added any extra screws. It seems strong enough for flight loads, and nothing will be strong enough for crash loads. I'm more worried that they could work loose over time. I moved the servo tray way back to accommodate a wing mounted receiver, freeing up the front servo tray screw holes. I may make an extension to the battery tray so I can tie in to those front servo tray holes, depending on where the battery needs to land to get the CG right. I like the recessed holes and would like to avoid any extra bumps on the fuselage.
invenext is offline Find More Posts by invenext