HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2011, 03:59 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosan1 View Post
Headlessagain! Hi Andy! Yes, great service from Giantcod, and they usually have stuff in stock, unlike a couple of big suppliers I could name! If not, their restock estimate is pretty good as well!
For the scoops I used the glue that came with my "first" electric plane (I last flew anything in the late 60's, up on Epsom Downs!) a Starmax Cessna! It's a bit like the old Evostick (sniff, mmm - that brings back.....nope, forgotten!) only almost clear, so presumably it's the solvents that make it stick so well! Shame I've only got a squeeze left! For the firewall I used Araldite, how well it sticks I wont know 'til tomorrow!
I was hoping to maiden the Phoenix then at an abandoned football field, as it's covered in softish sand (not a lot of grass out here!) 'til I get the trim/balance sorted, but the weather forecast is a 47% chance of rain, so maybe not! Then I have another visitor for a few days, so maybe the end of next week....!?! Will try for pics if I remember the camera!

Killervtwin! I'm starting with an 1800 3s, and keeping a 2200 3s in reserve; how was the balance with your batteries? Did it make a lot of difference?
Phil
Yeah... You cann't beat Giantcod .
I get my 9x6 props from them, for the 2836 Motor I have in my phoenix . .

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:07 AM
Joined Oct 2010
20 Posts
I would like the phoenix 2000 with a strong motor for fpv long range,
with: 35-48A 1100kv motor (Hobby King) and 4 S Lippo 5000 Mha
has anyone experience?

regards,
julian
Amsterdam
Julian Amsterdam is offline Find More Posts by Julian Amsterdam
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:33 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Amsterdam View Post
I would like the phoenix 2000 with a strong motor for fpv long range,
with: 35-48A 1100kv motor (Hobby King) and 4 S Lippo 5000 Mha
has anyone experience?

regards,
julian
Amsterdam
Hi Julian
I would have thought that this FPV model from Hobbyking would have been more suited to your needs as it is designed for FPV & it's pusher prop means you don't have a spinning prop spoiling your view
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=R7shd9Rkego
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16387
It can also take up to a 4500 3 cell for good duration. Only issue seems to be zero stock levels in the German warehouse.
However, a large flying wing would also work well.See here
Fly low, life is short (4 min 42 sec)

Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:44 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
That video was awesome by the way!
Freddan is offline Find More Posts by Freddan
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:00 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,160 Posts
I gotta agree, that video was indeed AWESOME.

To anyone who hasn't watched it, trust me...DO SO!!
(But as normal ignore the music)

B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:08 PM
Joined Oct 2010
20 Posts
thanks,

but I want power for towing advertising (5 meters. long) and I have the phoenix 2000 for this,
but I want this engine for the phoenix with Lippo 5000Mha 4S,
what do you think, is that okay

thanks,

julian Amsterdam
Julian Amsterdam is offline Find More Posts by Julian Amsterdam
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:40 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Amsterdam View Post
but I want this engine for the phoenix with Lippo 5000Mha 4S,
what do you think, is that okay
I have no experience with powering a Phoenix that way, but I'm thinking out loud...

The 5000mAh 4S weighs on the order of 500g+, which is say 350g more than the optimal battery weight for the Phoenix.

The NTM 35-48A 1100kv is 173g, which is at least 100g more than the stock motor.

A Plush 80A weighs 91g, which is say 60g more than the stock ESC.

All up it would mean a solid half-kg of extra weight for the airframe to carry. Would it "work", in the sense that it could be made to fly? If you can actually shove that battery into the fuselage and get it out again, maybe, but I expect the stall speed would make for scary landings and it would glide like a half-brick

That's before even contemplating the required nose reinforcement and CG location.

My suggestion would be to think about a bigger airframe, as headlessagain said.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:52 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
However, a large flying wing would also work well.See here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrm3eqh9Yjk
Andy
That really is one of the most awesome RC videos I've ever seen

During some of those canyon runs I found myself compelled to make the obligatory nerd references to Star Wars ..."Red One to Red Leader - hold them off as long as you can!"
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:56 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
I gotta agree, that video was indeed AWESOME.

To anyone who hasn't watched it, trust me...DO SO!!
(But as normal ignore the music)

B!
Not just AWESOME , but bloody fast aswell...
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:11 PM
birmingham Al.
Joined Aug 2005
1,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosan1 View Post
Headlessagain! Hi Andy! Yes, great service from Giantcod, and they usually have stuff in stock, unlike a couple of big suppliers I could name! If not, their restock estimate is pretty good as well!
For the scoops I used the glue that came with my "first" electric plane (I last flew anything in the late 60's, up on Epsom Downs!) a Starmax Cessna! It's a bit like the old Evostick (sniff, mmm - that brings back.....nope, forgotten!) only almost clear, so presumably it's the solvents that make it stick so well! Shame I've only got a squeeze left! For the firewall I used Araldite, how well it sticks I wont know 'til tomorrow!
I was hoping to maiden the Phoenix then at an abandoned football field, as it's covered in softish sand (not a lot of grass out here!) 'til I get the trim/balance sorted, but the weather forecast is a 47% chance of rain, so maybe not! Then I have another visitor for a few days, so maybe the end of next week....!?! Will try for pics if I remember the camera!

Killervtwin! I'm starting with an 1800 3s, and keeping a 2200 3s in reserve; how was the balance with your batteries? Did it make a lot of difference?
Phil
the 2200 made it a tad heavier of course but not enough to worry about I am getting an easy 45 minutes climb and glide with power to spare ,like i said before the only thing I had to do was cut a few vent holes int the bottom temp reading are in the 91-95 degree range on bat esc and motor.it thermals nicely and flies like a glider .I also think the wings are stiff barely flexes .I am really having a hard time finding any faults with this one of the box .I will order a few more of these cuz a few of the guys in my club like it and flewn it and for 70 bucks receiver ready you just cant go wrong.
killer vtwin is offline Find More Posts by killer vtwin
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:01 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
Not just AWESOME , but bloody fast aswell...
Have a look at Nastcop420's other YouTube videos for more stunning FPV footage.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:15 AM
It's supposed to fly that way?
Spain, AL, Zurgena
Joined Mar 2011
106 Posts
Woah! That's a scary vid! I "crashed" 4 times in the first 2 minutes! While some of my local club members have wings, I think I'll stick to the Phoenix for now, at least until I can do more than have "semi-controlled crashes!"
Philosan1 is offline Find More Posts by Philosan1
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:26 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Have a look at Nastcop420's other YouTube videos for more stunning FPV footage.
Andy
Isn't this the guy that got the FPV law's changed . .After his stunt in NewYork..
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:20 PM
Joined Feb 2006
490 Posts
Epoxy Adhesive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
Sh.t, didn't realize that.....is there no other one with the same hole distance?
I actually firewalled from the inside with plywood and epoxy. If you use a plywood firewall you wouldn't need the cross (I didn't use it but I used the 2836-1000 motor)
I am doing the same inside plywood firewall. Unfortunately, 20 minute epoxy BSI (Bob Smith Industries) and JB Weld did not work for me. I searched this thread and found your plywood/epoxy application.

Could you please share how you managed to stick plywood to the fuse.

Thanks,

Del
delperena is online now Find More Posts by delperena
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:41 PM
Joined Feb 2006
490 Posts
Just Curious About Motor Mount Structure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC47 View Post
Adding a piece of plywood on the inside is one way of reinforcing the firewall on the Phoenix. It still relies somewhat on the plastic firewall, so this is best done before you have any problems with the existing setup. I think this is the fourth plywood piece I have made to reinforce the firewall, I make a new one each time I try a motor with different screw spacing. I thought it might be help someone else if I described the process I used. I want to apologies in advance, my dimensions will be in inches, I am metrically challenged. I have been using 3/32 plywood, the circle is about 1 in diameter, and 3/8 has worked great for the center hole. I used the X mount from the motor I am using to mark for the mounting screws holes, and the metal front plate from the Phoenix to mark for the cooling holes if you are using them. The outer edge should be beveled at about 30 deg. Once you are happy with the fit on the motor and in the fuselage, I have found it really helps to use just a dot or two of CA to attach the motor to the plywood. Do this with the screws partially installed through the X to keep everything aligned, and then tighten the motor on to the plywood for a nice fit. It is then much easier, but still not easy, to get the motor and the plywood aligned inside the fuselage. The first time I did this I used epoxy to attach the plywood to the plastic, but I found it just popped out when I took the screws out, so now I am just relying on the screws to hold everything together. I will attach a few pictures that help show the process. I hope this is useful.
Mike
I am in search of methods to attatching to the fuselage, specifically, a plywood firewall to the inside of the fuse nose. (Please refer tom above post).

Your method seems interesting. I am just curious how structural integrity is enhanced if it is not firmly attached to the fuselage, especially along the inside periphery of the nose.
delperena is online now Find More Posts by delperena