SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 03, 2011, 06:28 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangerooger View Post
Thank you Dave! Have you got a 2.4 Mhz device? The antenna of my receiver has only the length of a finger!
I am using a Futaba 2.4 GHz radio. The antenna wires are about 5 inches long. No matter the length if the antenna is not shielded by metal or carbon the receiver should work ok.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:54 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
skyhawk newbie's Avatar
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
If your power readings are too high it means that you are using a prop that is too big. If you exceed the motor's power rating for very long you will burn it up.

Do not put faith in what other people say about prop sizes unless they have measured power data to back it up. A lot of users have no idea what they are doing in that regard.

You should record the voltage and current readings along with the watts when you use your meter. That will make it easier to diagnose later.
Thanks again Dave , Your a gent..
Think I'll just stick with the 9x5 as I'm geting readings of 265 Watts with the 2200mAh Li-Po ...
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:12 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear75 View Post
Hi guys thanks for the replies.Has anyone installed servos for the flaps?It should be able to land very gracefully with the flaps.Also what kind of glue is more suitable for attaching the servos?
I am considering adding flaps to my Radian. I am not a fan of gluing servos. When I mount them in foam I make a carrier for them from birch plywood and glue that in, then screw the servos to the carrier. I have been using hot glue but have heard good things about white Gorilla glue so might try that. If I go ahead with the project I will post. Right now I am waiting for some servos from HobbyKing.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:19 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
skyhawk newbie's Avatar
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
I am considering adding flaps to my Radian. I am not a fan of gluing servos. When I mount them in foam I make a carrier for them from birch plywood and glue that in, then screw the servos to the carrier. I have been using hot glue but have heard good things about white Gorilla glue so might try that. If I go ahead with the project I will post. Right now I am waiting for some servos from HobbyKing.
Cann't go wrong with the Gorilla Glue..
used it on my Pheonix to glue in Aileron and Flap Servo's...
Think half the world is waiting on Servo's from HK...
I'm waiting on 8 HTX 900...


..
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2011, 03:15 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
skyhawk newbie's Avatar
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,043 Posts
Finally got to maiden my pheonix 2000 today

Climb's like a rocket with the Turnigy 2836 motor / 10x6 prop / 2200 Li-Po
on half throttle... Shut the throttle off
OMG, it fly's great... inside loop's,outside loop's,barrel roll's ..very responsive ailerons , even had it inverted
A very enjoyable 20 mins flying..as I was looseing the light
Hardest thing about flying this is getting it to come down for landing

But it'll need fixing as when I was coming in to land I over shot ( forgot about the flaps) and hit some rock's..
motor pushed back into the very weak fire wall , wing now has a split half way through it ....
Motor will pull out of fire wall , but is not true anymore, so makes a horrible sound , but still work's...If I cann't sort out the motor and the firewall theres a guy in the UK selling Pheonix spares...
Wing can be repaired ..So it's out with the Gorilla glue and some fiber tape...

Hope the winds are light tomorrow as I'll be off flying again as soon as Possible..


Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:15 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Your flight report is encouraging. Thanks. Sorry it came to a bad ending but it sounds repairable.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2011, 05:24 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
skyhawk newbie's Avatar
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,043 Posts
Yeah...The Phoenix flys great alot faster then my Radian...( only flown that 3 or 4 times)
There's nothing wrong with the Phoenix, just lack of experience of the pilot ( me )
as I've only been flying 5 months and thats been over winter time so was not out every weekend.....
Mainly fly my little moded SkyHawk...
Skyhawk Glider.Flying in Ireland (5 min 35 sec)



Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2011, 05:33 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
skyhawk newbie's Avatar
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,043 Posts
The good news is I've fixed the wing....
Still trying to figure out how to make the fire wall stronger.....

mite just end up buying a new fuse and start form there...
some sort of alloy plate behind the firewall with arms that run back allong the inside of the fuse sort of cup shaped, if you know what I mean ...

Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2011, 04:40 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Berkie's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
Finally got to maiden my pheonix 2000 today

Climb's like a rocket with the Turnigy 2836 motor / 10x6 prop / 2200 Li-Po
on half throttle... Shut the throttle off
OMG, it fly's great... inside loop's,outside loop's,barrel roll's ..very responsive ailerons , even had it inverted
A very enjoyable 20 mins flying..as I was looseing the light
Hardest thing about flying this is getting it to come down for landing

But it'll need fixing as when I was coming in to land I over shot ( forgot about the flaps) and hit some rock's..
motor pushed back into the very weak fire wall , wing now has a split half way through it ....
Motor will pull out of fire wall , but is not true anymore, so makes a horrible sound , but still work's...If I cann't sort out the motor and the firewall theres a guy in the UK selling Pheonix spares...
Wing can be repaired ..So it's out with the Gorilla glue and some fiber tape...

Hope the winds are light tomorrow as I'll be off flying again as soon as Possible..


Sean
Do you have a link for the guy selling spares?

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:30 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
skyhawk newbie's Avatar
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Do you have a link for the guy selling spares?

Kev

I've just had a E-Mail from them, there out of stock at the moment..
E-Bay seller...... gamecyclecouk

So I'll just buy another ARF one from R2hobbies 50.23c + postage
http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddet...od=rcpl2401001

after working out the price from Euro to GB pound it's just as cheap to buy and have full spare Phoenix ..


Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2011, 05:37 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
skyhawk newbie's Avatar
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
The good news is I've fixed the wing....
Still trying to figure out how to make the fire wall stronger.....

mite just end up buying a new fuse and start form there...
some sort of alloy plate behind the firewall with arms that run back allong the inside of the fuse sort of cup shaped, if you know what I mean ...

Sean
Firewall and engine are sorted
ended up using fiberglass on both side's of the firewall...
Had to use longer screws for the engine mount as the firewall in now about 4mm thick...
Will get some photo's up tomorrow...


..
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:12 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
skyhawk newbie's Avatar
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,043 Posts
C of G...???

I've just got a Great Planes C.G. Airplane Balancer , so want to set C of G spot on...
In the Pheonix 2000 Manual it say's C of G is 70mm (-/+ 5mm) from LE..
The Wing Chord is 200mm...
I've been told to use this methord to find CofG
measure the wing from leading edge (LE) to trailing edge(TE)...
Chord = 200mm
devide Chord by 4 (=50mm) then mark the wing back from leading edge ....
devide the Chord by 3 (=66mm) mark wing again...
Your left with two marks on the wing...
50mm and 66mm ?

But manual says 70mm

Who's got a Pheonix and what have you set your C of G set at...


....
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:03 AM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
F-111 John's Avatar
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
I've just got a Great Planes C.G. Airplane Balancer , so want to set C of G spot on...
In the Pheonix 2000 Manual it say's C of G is 70mm (-/+ 5mm) from LE..
The Wing Chord is 200mm...
I've been told to use this methord to find CofG
measure the wing from leading edge (LE) to trailing edge(TE)...
Chord = 200mm
devide Chord by 4 (=50mm) then mark the wing back from leading edge ....
devide the Chord by 3 (=66mm) mark wing again...
Your left with two marks on the wing...
50mm and 66mm ?

But manual says 70mm

Who's got a Pheonix and what have you set your C of G set at...


....

The CG of any particular airplane is a function of the wing's airfoil. Different airfoils have different centers of lift, and your 'formula' doesn't take that into account. (Or maybe it does, and if you read closer that formula is only for a certain type of wing?)

What you're doing is making the center of gravity be in the same place as the center of lift when flying at cruising speed, so that a minimum amount of elevator trim is necessary for level flight. Less elevator trim means less drag, which means more efficient gliding.

Always at least start at the manufacturer's recommended CG range, then experiment from there to match your flying styles and tastes.
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:42 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
skyhawk newbie's Avatar
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-111 John View Post
The CG of any particular airplane is a function of the wing's airfoil. Different airfoils have different centers of lift, and your 'formula' doesn't take that into account. (Or maybe it does, and if you read closer that formula is only for a certain type of wing?)

What you're doing is making the center of gravity be in the same place as the center of lift when flying at cruising speed, so that a minimum amount of elevator trim is necessary for level flight. Less elevator trim means less drag, which means more efficient gliding.

Always at least start at the manufacturer's recommended CG range, then experiment from there to match your flying styles and tastes.
Thanks for the reply....

Manual say's 70mm (-/+ 5mm) So if I set for 65mm
thats close to the second mark (66mm) on my wing... (1/3rd of chord)

..
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:57 AM
-----
Woodstock 1's Avatar
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
I wouldn't set the CoG further forward of the manufacturers recommended point. Usually such marks are extremely conservative (i.e. too far forward). With time you will probably finalise on a setting that is considerably back from 70 mm to achieve a neutral trim. 65 mm may be unflyable.
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale HK Phoenix 2000 glider blk822 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Aug 23, 2011 08:21 PM
Discussion Still having electric problems with my hobbyking Phoenix 2000, Crashvideo kyrkbymannen Electric Sailplanes 3 Jul 09, 2011 08:34 PM
Discussion Ohhh noo, 2nd flight on the HobbyKing Phoenix 2000 KillerCut Electric Sailplanes 14 Jun 06, 2011 10:57 AM
Discussion hobby king Phoenix 2000 EPO Composite R/C Glider doomracing Electric Sailplanes 3 May 31, 2011 11:09 PM