Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:15 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC47 View Post
I also made a run to the Port-A-Potty after landing.
Are you allowed to fly FPV in these competitions?

Imagine that...
Winning "gold", "on the can"!
S.Bartfast is offline Find More Posts by S.Bartfast
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:25 PM
France
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
Had a good flight this afternoon, good weather, almost no wind, 45 minute on the sme pack with a bit of accrobatics and some land & takeoff.

But on a approach, where my goal was not to land but just to slowly follow the landing zone, the propeler get stuck in the canopy and I had an emergency landing.

Did it already happen to you ? how to deal with this ? tape on the canopy ?
traumkumy is offline Find More Posts by traumkumy
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:33 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traumkumy View Post
Had a good flight this afternoon, good weather, almost no wind, 45 minute on the sme pack with a bit of accrobatics and some land & takeoff.

But on a approach, where my goal was not to land but just to slowly follow the landing zone, the propeler get stuck in the canopy and I had an emergency landing.

Did it already happen to you ? how to deal with this ? tape on the canopy ?
I use a rubber band on all my powered glider canopys...

Holds the canopy on while in flight,
then the prop tight to the fuse when in transport....

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:58 PM
Joined May 2008
80 Posts
Hey there...sorry to hear about your Phoenix....did your canopy survive. i am looking for one as mine came off. any help will be appreciated. james
Cactusflyr is offline Find More Posts by Cactusflyr
Last edited by Cactusflyr; Sep 27, 2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: meant to email
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:12 AM
France
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
Hi, no damage at all, just an unwanted landing on a cultivated field (I hate doing that).

Beside of that I started to rebuild the inside, the servo tray as moved back by around 10cm, I've made a small support to hold the turnigy receiver verticaly in the big hole just beside the servos, and a long battery holder (17cm) screwed in the bottom of the fuse. I hope to have no difficulties to adjust the CG between 80-85 with this new setup.

I received the new radio (T9X) new motor, new ESC, and new servo but as usual I miss lot off small bits to mount them... Even the 1.8mm nylon clevis don't fit
Last edited by traumkumy; Sep 28, 2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:26 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
I did some work on the Phoenix yesterday. With my newly installed flaps I wanted a separate bec. So yesterday I installed a 3A bec and converted to 2.4GHz. Works just fine and now I just have a couple of hours of programming to do on my 8FG.

I have one question though. Im using the Orange Fasst compatible Rx from Hobbyking. Its a full range receiver so it should be fine even for a gliders, right? I've just recently gone from MHz to GHz so I'm not super confident in this yet.
Freddan is offline Find More Posts by Freddan
Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:17 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddan View Post
I did some work on the Phoenix yesterday. With my newly installed flaps I wanted a separate bec. So yesterday I installed a 3A bec and converted to 2.4GHz. Works just fine and now I just have a couple of hours of programming to do on my 8FG.

I have one question though. Im using the Orange Fasst compatible Rx from Hobbyking. Its a full range receiver so it should be fine even for a gliders, right? I've just recently gone from MHz to GHz so I'm not super confident in this yet.
I've got a few Spektrum Orange Rx's for Hobbyking,never had a problem or lose of signal with and of them . .

Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:53 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
Sounds good. I've been flying a couple orange ones in other planes but a 2 meter glider can travel pretty far away but I don't think there will be a problem, mostly checking to be sure. There's no need for satellite antennas or anything? Just a standard full range receiver with properly placed antennas?

Do these orange (frsky) receivers feature any kind of signal quality checkup like I've read some receivers have? Like a led blinking if there have been any loss of signal during flight. The small manual doesn't say much.
Last edited by Freddan; Sep 28, 2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:13 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
Actually I bought a Turnigy 9x transmitter for my son a year ago and we often go flying together. I have never seen any problems so far with this tx. He has put the er9x software on it and it is a great tx! In some ways it even beats my Aurora 9.
He's using the $ 8,00 Turnigy rx. So I bet these Oranges will do the job just fine!
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:19 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Sounds good. I've been flying a couple orange ones in other planes but a 2 meter glider can travel pretty far away but I don't think there will be a problem, mostly checking to be sure. There's no need for satellite antennas or anything? Just a standard full range receiver with properly placed antennas?

Do these orange (frsky) receivers feature any kind of signal quality checkup like I've read some receivers have? Like a led blinking if there have been any loss of signal during flight. The small manual doesn't say much.
I my self have a few of the Orange Rx's from Hobbyking..
2 x 6 channel and 1x 9 channel..
Using them with a Spektrum DX5e and with a Futaba 9c fitted with a Spektrum Moduel , I use the R100 Satellite Receiver with all of them..
Using them in my Phoenix 2000 / ST Fox Gliders / Multiplex Cularis ..
Never had any trouble or lose of signal...

Yes they bind the same way as a propper Spektrum Rx,you get the blinking LED if at any stage you've lost signal...

Sean
Last edited by skyhawk newbie; Sep 28, 2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:27 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
Using them in my Phoenix 2000 / ST Fox Gliders / Multiplex Cularis ..

Sean
Hey Sean, how do you like the Multiplex Cularis? Off Topic but I just wandered cause I'm looking for a bigger bird.....
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:43 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
Ive been programming crow and camber and reflex and all sorts of neat stuff, but this is my first glider so I barely know what to do with them. Had 2 flights today and got the hang of it, I think.

I have a question for you. When gliding in normal mode, no flaps or anything. How should I setup the elevator? My elevator is pointing ever so slightly up and in low speed it keeps it altitude well and flies very slow. If I dive just slightly and let it pick up speed it will want to climb pretty much right away.

What am I looking for here? What should a glider do when I let go of the sticks? Continue level and slow or dive slightly but gain speed?

Since my plane climbs with speed Im guessing it might be slightly nose heavy, or is it supposed to do that?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 03:45 PM
France
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
I'm far from beeing an expert, but for me it should flight like a handlaunched glider, quite low speed (but not loo slow) and flat as possible. Without doing theses stall / accelerate / climb cycles. In fact FOR ME it should be possible to throw it with the radio off, and it should fly gently.

Also found the recommanded CG was to conservative, I found 80-85mm with PredimRC and tested 80 successfully, more flat run now.
BTW it should be interesting to know what airfoil profile is used on the wing for more precise prediction of the flying speed.

For my side I received my T9X and I'm failling to setup crow, aibrakes or camber adjustement for soaring.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 06:20 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
I've got my CG set at 70mm ,but I like to have the phoenix nose heavy as I mainly use it for slope soaring,which it does very well...

Flying her as a warm liner the phoenix will do what you want it to do,
great for mild acro,but not to much or you'll snap the wings off..

See my Vid
inside loops / out side loops / rolls / wing overs ..

Pheonix 2000 Glider. (6 min 29 sec)

No crow , just flaps and ailerons ... flaps on there own are enough for me to slow it down for landing.....

Old Sep 29, 2011, 06:50 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,681 Posts
Quote:
Since my plane climbs with speed Im guessing it might be slightly nose heavy, or is it supposed to do that?
Rapid pulling up in a fast nosedive generally means the plane is nose-heavy.

It's caused by the elevator being trimmed significantly upwards to counter the weight at the front during normal level flight. Once airspeed increases in a dive, so does the downwards force on the tail caused by the elevator angle. However, the weight of the nose remains constant, irrespective of airspeed, and the net result is that sharp pull-up.

There's nothing inherently wrong with "slightly nose heavy", but it deadens control response and makes the plane feel less agile. Aft CG increases maneuverability and "excitement", up to the point where a human cannot fly the thing without gyro assistance
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Last edited by H2SO4; Sep 29, 2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: downwards, not upwards