Just 4 hex head screws..

Take my wings off every time..

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:46 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
Yeah the screws are pretty quick. But there's also 4 servo leads to connect and disconnect every time. At least if youre using flaps. But I still think.it's pretty quick.
Freddan is offline Find More Posts by Freddan
Old Sep 22, 2011, 03:49 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddan View Post
Yeah the screws are pretty quick. But there's also 4 servo leads to connect and disconnect every time. At least if youre using flaps. But I still think.it's pretty quick.
Never set up crow,so only have 2 leads as my flaps and ailerons are on Y leads....

hardly ever use my Phoenix as a field flyer , I'm mainly on the slope's and
as a Slope Soarer I can highly recommend it . .

Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:46 AM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,978 Posts
Come on.... it's not that bad.... an extra minute at the field.

In order to sneek my Pheonix on a family roadtrip vacation I took the wings apart and even removed the horizontal stab.... 5 mins total getting it back together.... 3 for the stab and 2 to get the wings back together and on the fuselage.... my wife didn't even know it was in the car !!! (Priceless )
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:46 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
my wife didn't even know it was in the car !!! (Priceless )
LOL...

The Sneakiness... (0 min 7 sec)
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:01 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
Come on.... it's not that bad.... an extra minute at the field.
Yeah, maybe that's what I'll have to end up doing. I'm just not too keen on running those tiny screws in and out of that timber every time I fly, but if that's how its gots to be, that's how its gots to be.
S.Bartfast is offline Find More Posts by S.Bartfast
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:25 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Bartfast View Post
Yeah, maybe that's what I'll have to end up doing. I'm just not too keen on running those tiny screws in and out of that timber every time I fly, but if that's how its gots to be, that's how its gots to be.
Well, I never have to unscrew it (yet) because I fly across the road....
But if you have to do it on a regular base, change them for hex screws, as skyhawk is suggesting. They are a lot easier to screw and unscrew then the philips ones the plane comes with.
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:12 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
You leave the wing in one piece . .
You just remove the wing.. 4 Hex head screw's

You don't take the wing apart... why would you . it's only 2 meters long...

Last edited by skyhawk newbie; Sep 22, 2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:25 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
512 Posts
Quote:
There's a guy here that cut some foam out and used velcro between that wooden strip and the wing instead of those screws.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Sep 22, 2011, 05:52 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
I couldn't take the wing apart even if I wanted to..

I glued the wing halfs together as well as the white wing joiner and wooden strip was glued in place then covered with fiber tape .

Old Sep 22, 2011, 06:00 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
For the flaps / ailerons used these fittings . .

Fiber tape on the LE ...

used heat shrink over the clevises at the tail...

Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:36 PM
Growing up is overrated
Bellevue, WA, USA
Joined Nov 2009
317 Posts
Iíve been a little quiet lately

Hi everyone
I have been a little quiet the last two weeks, life has really gotten in the way of having fun lately. I thought I would check in and respond to a couple of the questions that I just read, it’s been a little while.
To club17 and salkeld17, I put cooling holes in the front of my fuselage, reinforced it with plywood like you were suggesting, and have had no problems with the strength of the front end. I would guess I have over 50 flights on mine and it is holding up great. I posted some pictures in this post. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=557
Freddan, I cut a hole in the back part of the canopy to help with the air exhaust. I don’t know if it has helped, but putting it in the canopy didn’t affect the strength of the fuselage. Picture here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=368
S.Bartfast, I have to take the wing off and then take the wing apart each time I go to the field. I have an old Toyota MR2 and the wing won’t fit in my car in one piece. I hardened the screw holes in the wood piece on the wing with CA, and it is still holding up great after more than 50 flights. As for a case, I am looking into getting a small trailer for my bicycle, and I will probably build some type of case out of ľ” plywood to hold everything safely. I have never seen anything like that on the market, so if you find something I would be interested in seeing it. As far as the wing, it takes less than 5 minutes to assemble everything at the field, a little bit of a pain, but the flying is worth it.
And now to brag a little. On the 16th of this month I was able to get out to the field and had my best day of gliding ever. Over 52 minutes of thermal gliding after one 40 second motor run. Check on the September Big Sky contest and as of today a Phoenix 2000 is at the top of the leader board. Who would have thought that a $100 glider could do that?
Mike
MikeC47 is offline Find More Posts by MikeC47
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:20 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Well Done Mike. .

Thermal Leaderboard:

MikeC47
Glider/plane name: Phoenix 2000
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight: 9/16/2011 1:10PM
Duration of flight: 52:23, 40 sec motor run
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:36 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
Indeed! Gongrats Mike! So everybody that doubts the thermalling capacaties of the Phoenix 2000 should not be anymore....

Didn't you get a sore neck after such a long time? I once had a very long flight, but could not repeat it again with our Dutch summer.
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:53 AM
Growing up is overrated
Bellevue, WA, USA
Joined Nov 2009
317 Posts
Thanks skyhawk and BarnOwl. Yes on the sore neck, I have to admit that when I lost the last thermal and couldn’t find any more I was not that upset. I also made a run to the Port-A-Potty after landing.
Mike
MikeC47 is offline Find More Posts by MikeC47