HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:48 PM
France
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
Hello, I'm fine thank you.

I didn't do this because I needed to validate the new CG in flight before.

So for the moment it's stuck in piece of foam, and by the way a part of the lipo is under the servo/reciver tray, so i'm not sure it will fit with it.
traumkumy is offline Find More Posts by traumkumy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:06 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traumkumy View Post
Hello, I'm fine thank you.
I didn't do this because I needed to validate the new CG in flight before.
So for the moment it's stuck in piece of foam, and by the way a part of the lipo is under the servo/reciver tray, so i'm not sure it will fit with it.

You can move that as well . . both trays are only held in place by screw's ..

By moving the servo tray back abit , you can do away with the plastic clevises at the tail end...
and use something like these..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...F5pack%5F.html

on the control rods . .

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Sep 20, 2011, 05:11 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
[/B]

By moving the servo tray back abit , you can do away with the plastic clevises at the tail end...

on the control rods . .

An excellent idea, thank you. I keep on fighting nose heaviness issues with this plane.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:11 AM
France
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
[/B]

on the control rods . .

This is a good idea thanks, but as I'm disassembling the elevator between each flies, maybe using something like this will be more accurate http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mm_10pcs_.html
To not having to do the trim at each filght.

As you seems verry inspired, maybe you have an idea to raise the front of the elevator by around 1cm to flaten the "V longitudinal" ? And maybe tighten it a bit in the same mod.
Last edited by traumkumy; Sep 21, 2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 01:50 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
743 Posts
I agree the CG is a hot item on this plane. (Isn't it ever on a sailplane)
The bird flies like a brick if you don't have it spot on. I made a mark on the inside of the fuselage where the battery should sit. I move it forwards about 5mm in windy conditions and I have it spot on if the weather is fine.

I think you have lots of space in there to move things, that's the great thing about not having a foam fuselage....

I also think the elevator is under an angle for a reason: If you have it lined up in the neutral position you should be allright. That means if you look at it from the side the horizontal tail has an angle pointing down. Do not alter the elevator but match this angle!
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Last edited by BarnOwl; Sep 21, 2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 02:18 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
I agree the CG is a hot item on this plane. (Isn't it ever on a sailplane)
The bird flies like a brick if you don't have it spot on. I made a mark on the inside of the fuselage where the battery should sit. I move it forwards about 5mm in windy conditions and I have it spot on if the weather is fine.

I think you have lots of space in there to move things, that's the great thing about not having a foam fuselage....

I also think the elevator is under an angle for a reason: If you have it lined up in the neutral position you should be allright. That means if you look at it from the side the horizontal tail has an angle pointing down. Do not alter the elevator but match this angle!
BarnOwl said it all...
Old Sep 21, 2011, 02:31 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
94 Posts
Just another thought...

How do you guys transport your birds around?
I ride a motorbike every where I go and secure my Radian in a trailer I tow behind, but the Phoenix will not disassemble easily into its original box like the Radian does. Any thoughts as to where one could get a secure carrying case for a phoenix?
S.Bartfast is offline Find More Posts by S.Bartfast
Old Sep 21, 2011, 02:59 AM
France
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post

The goal is to reduce this angle, not to completly remove it.

But from base this angle is 4,3* which is a lot. It's usually between 1 or 2, or under 1 for accrobatic or race plane. This angle (4,3) cause lot of drag, so reduce model speed and maneuverability, and is less needed with a 80mm gravity center.

(*) 4,3 is the total angle I mesured between stab and wing (thats what is call V longitudinal in french)
Last edited by traumkumy; Sep 21, 2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 04:15 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
743 Posts
Quote:
The goal is to reduce this angle, not to completly remove it.

But from base this angle is 4,3* which is a lot. It's usually between 1 or 2, or under 1 for accrobatic or race plane. This angle (4,3) cause lot of drag, so reduce model speed and maneuverability, and is less needed with a 80mm gravity center.

(*) 4,3 is the total angle I mesured between stab and wing (thats what is call V longitudinal in french)
Ok, I'm interested in the results, keep us posted!
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:34 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
491 Posts
Quote:
4,3 is the total angle I mesured between stab and wing (thats what is call V longitudinal in french)
How do I measure this on mine? Do you need a special tool?
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:25 AM
France
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
no special tool needed : http://aerololo.free.fr/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=184
Old Sep 21, 2011, 04:36 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Bartfast View Post
Just another thought...

How do you guys transport your birds around?
I ride a motorbike
Strap the Phoenix to your back , head down , ride like the wind...

see how fast you can go , before you feel your a55 leaving the seat.....

just take the wing off and still use your trailer....

Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:56 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
94 Posts
Quote:
just take the wing off and still use your trailer....
That is what I'll do, it's just that it is an open trailer and I don't want to strap the wings down too hard. With my Radian I just put the plane back in it's original box and strap the box down, and that works fine. I was after a large case or something to carry the Phoenix in, you know, like those aluminum camera cases people use. It's just that the wingspan is fairly large and they don't come apart particularly easily. Just wondering what other people do. Do you guys just carry them loose in the back of your cars or do you have something that you carry them in?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:40 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Bartfast View Post
That is what I'll do, it's just that it is an open trailer and I don't want to strap the wings down too hard. With my Radian I just put the plane back in it's original box and strap the box down, and that works fine. I was after a large case or something to carry the Phoenix in, you know, like those aluminum camera cases people use. It's just that the wingspan is fairly large and they don't come apart particularly easily. Just wondering what other people do. Do you guys just carry them loose in the back of your cars or do you have something that you carry them in?
Mate I reckon I'd slash my wrists if I had to take those wings off every time, or more likely the Phoenix would never actually see the light of day
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Sep 22, 2011, 01:20 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Mate I reckon I'd slash my wrists if I had to take those wings off every time
Taking the wings off doesn't phase me;
it's taking them apart that would have me gazing fondly toward the razor blades.
Last edited by S.Bartfast; Sep 22, 2011 at 01:55 AM.