HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:31 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear75 View Post
Hi all I also ordered mine!I am so stoked,it should be here in a couple of days.Since i wasnt sure for the prop size, I ordered a spare 12x8 prop.Do you think its too big for the stock motor?I thought it would be a good idea to replace the motor with a 900kv, but I am not sure...Any thoughts and suggestions welcome,since I am a newbie,actually returning to rc flying after a 15 year absence...
Welcome to RC Groups!

This seems to be a popular one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8139

I had a 15 year break too, and am back in it again 3 years

I'm sure you'll enjoy the electrics (if it doesn't dive you nuts first!)

Make sure you get a wattmeter

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2011, 05:05 AM
Joined Jan 2011
28 Posts
Hi guys thanks for the replies.Has anyone installed servos for the flaps?It should be able to land very gracefully with the flaps.Also what kind of glue is more suitable for attaching the servos?
polarbear75 is offline Find More Posts by polarbear75
Old Feb 27, 2011, 06:08 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Welcome to RC Groups!

This seems to be a popular one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8139

I had a 15 year break too, and am back in it again 3 years

I'm sure you'll enjoy the electrics (if it doesn't dive you nuts first!)

Make sure you get a wattmeter

Kev
This is a 300 watt Motor...
If useing the stock 10x6 Prop your gonna burn it out,as you'll get 400+ Watts useing a 2200mAh Li-Po..

So use a 9x5 instead....265Watts

Bingo....
Useing a 1500mAh 3 cell Li-Po with the 10x6 Prop and T2836-1000kv motor....
I'm getting around 290 watts at 28.5 amps reading off my Watt Meter....

Sean

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Last edited by skyhawk newbie; Feb 27, 2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 06:17 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear75 View Post
Hi guys thanks for the replies.Has anyone installed servos for the flaps?It should be able to land very gracefully with the flaps.Also what kind of glue is more suitable for attaching the servos?
Fitted my Flaps yesterday..
Used HTX 900 Servo's , all round

Test fit before you Glue....
To glue them in , I used Gorilla glue and then some Fiber Tape
to cover over the servo's ...
Just make sure before you glue them in...
Plug all your servo's in to Rx and set to nautral...
I've got my Flap's on a Y lead going to my Landing Gear plug and
Switch on my DX5e

Old Feb 27, 2011, 07:00 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
If useing the stock 10x6 Prop your gonna burn it out,as you'll get 400+ Watts useing a 2200mAh Li-Po..

So use a 9x5 instead....265Watts

Bingo....
Useing a 1500mAh 3 cell Li-Po with the 10x6 Prop and T2836-1000kv motor....
I'm getting around 290 watts at 28.5 amps reading off my Watt Meter....

Sean

Thanks Sean for that advice mate.

Kev (just a touch of Oirish too!)
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:54 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,528 Posts
Quote:
If useing the stock 10x6 Prop your gonna burn it out,as you'll get 400+ Watts useing a 2200mAh Li-Po....

Useing a 1500mAh 3 cell Li-Po with the 10x6 Prop and T2836-1000kv motor.... I'm getting around 290 watts at 28.5 amps reading off my Watt Meter....
Something is wrong with those numbers. Assuming that both batteries are rated at 20C or better the current they can deliver to that motor should be about the same. The output current at a given load, if within spec, has nothing to do with the mah rating.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Feb 28, 2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:02 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,528 Posts
What is the inside diameter of the motor compartment? Would a 35 mm motor fit? I ask because I have a couple of those.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 06:02 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
What is the inside diameter of the motor compartment? Would a 35 mm motor fit? I ask because I have a couple of those.
Will be a bit tight , but mite just get it in there ..

Dave..If I change the ESC from a 35amp , down to a 25/30 amp ESC I've lying around,will that reduse the Watts on the Turnigy 2836 1000kv ?? Motor...
Still using the 10x6 Prop and 2200mAh Li-Po...
This is wrecking my head...
Old Mar 02, 2011, 06:37 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,528 Posts
Thanks for the answer on the motor compartment size.

The specs on the motor do not give a maximum current rating but if it is truly a 300 watt motor it should be 27 amps. A 25/30 amp ESC should be able to handle that unless you are going WOT all the time. A 25/30 amp ESC will deliver just as much current to the motor as a 35 amp ESC if it does not try to pull more than 30 amps.

What it will draw with the 10 x 6 prop however is something I have no way of knowing for sure. Check it with your watt meter and see. If it i less than 30amps with a fresh and fully charged 3-cell battery you should be OK.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 05:16 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the answer on the motor compartment size.

The specs on the motor do not give a maximum current rating but if it is truly a 300 watt motor it should be 27 amps. A 25/30 amp ESC should be able to handle that unless you are going WOT all the time. A 25/30 amp ESC will deliver just as much current to the motor as a 35 amp ESC if it does not try to pull more than 30 amps.

What it will draw with the 10 x 6 prop however is something I have no way of knowing for sure. Check it with your watt meter and see. If it i less than 30amps with a fresh and fully charged 3-cell battery you should be OK.
Been reading up on the Turnigy 2836 1000kv Motor....HK reviews ...
Still wondering I'm getting 400Watt+ readings off my watt meter
with the 10x6 prop...
Max size of prop I'm gonna use on this motor is 9x5.(290watts readings )).luckly I've got one to fit...
But still cann't figger out why my reading are so high as some of the reviews state there using props from 8x4 all the way up to 11x4...

still trying to get out and maiden her...

Last edited by skyhawk newbie; Mar 03, 2011 at 05:37 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 07:02 AM
Deutschland
Joined Mar 2011
5 Posts
Hallo to all! Nice to meet you!
My name is Michael from Wiesbaden Germany.
I found RC-Groups when I looked for information on Phoenix 2000 EPO.
I decided to buy this plane because I believe it will meet best my expectations to a beginner’s plane and that has enough potential to the future’s needs.
I bought mine in EBay a week ago with the following specs:
Battery : 11.1v, 1500mah 20C LI-PO battery ( included)
Motor 2815/1050kv outer runner Brushless Motor ( included)
Esc : 30A Brushless( included)
2.4G 6-Channel proportional radio control system (included ) ( 600Meters range)
EPO material
9g servos 4 pcs ( included)
lipo balance charger (included)

I like this plane very much. It look nice!
For it is my first foamy, I’ am little bit concerned about the softness of the surface. One hard grip forms a dent into it! These industrial products have nothing to do with old fashion craft!
Like most of you, I will change all nylon clevises to metal ones.
And now to my question:
Where should I place the cute receiver?
For I installed ailerons and flaps, I used two Y-harnesses. If I shove all the wires into the back bail (where the servos for the rudders are installed), the receiver and the flimsy antenna will be encircled by a Faraday cage. What will happen to the radio reception?
Thank you in advance!
Wangerooger is offline Find More Posts by Wangerooger
Old Mar 03, 2011, 07:48 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,528 Posts
It is not so important from a RF standpoint where the receiver is installed but the antenna must be placed where it is not shielded by meal or carbon. I( do not have a Phoenix yet but on my Radian I put the receiver in the compartment on the belly that houses the servos. For the antenna I pushed a piece of plastic push-rod tube into the foam along the bottom and inserted the antenna wire into it. As you said the antenna wire is flimsy and need to be protected from damage.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:09 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
It is not so important from a RF standpoint where the receiver is installed but the antenna must be placed where it is not shielded by meal or carbon. I( do not have a Phoenix yet but on my Radian I put the receiver in the compartment on the belly that houses the servos. For the antenna I pushed a piece of plastic push-rod tube into the foam along the bottom and inserted the antenna wire into it. As you said the antenna wire is flimsy and need to be protected from damage.
Dave...
I too have one (Radian) never liked the way the antenna in came up along the battery bay...that's a very good idea ...
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:45 AM
Deutschland
Joined Mar 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Thank you Dave! Have you got a 2.4 Mhz device? The antenna of my receiver has only the length of a finger!
Wangerooger is offline Find More Posts by Wangerooger
Old Mar 03, 2011, 05:24 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,528 Posts
Quote:
Been reading up on the Turnigy 2836 1000kv Motor....HK reviews ...
Still wondering I'm getting 400Watt+ readings off my watt meter
with the 10x6 prop...
Max size of prop I'm gonna use on this motor is 9x5.(290watts readings )).luckly I've got one to fit...
But still cann't figger out why my reading are so high as some of the reviews state there using props from 8x4 all the way up to 11x4....
If your power readings are too high it means that you are using a prop that is too big. If you exceed the motor's power rating for very long you will burn it up.

Do not put faith in what other people say about prop sizes unless they have measured power data to back it up. A lot of users have no idea what they are doing in that regard.

You should record the voltage and current readings along with the watts when you use your meter. That will make it easier to diagnose later.
Last edited by kaptondave; Mar 03, 2011 at 05:35 PM.