Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:49 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha View Post
I've flown my Phoenix in really strong winds, performed steep dive maneuvers, loops and rolls and have never seen the wings flex. Currently making some elevator and rudder mods, so mine is down for the moment.
Well.. not flexing like in other planes i had (the HawkSky in stock config had a really flexy wings) but when in strong winds when i make a pass close i can see the wings wobbling a bit up and down... there is certainly some flexing there.. not much but some is ..

But that guy is really good with the controls.. also since he uses the Phoenix as a pure unpowered glider.. he has way more free space in the fuselage.. so maybe he can get more ballast there.. as you know in sloping the more balast the more speed if you can get enought lift
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:18 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
got out today for a flight,love this glider,it is so stable and floats like a dream.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:20 PM
KK4QIN
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,102 Posts
How does the Phoenix compare to say the radian? It seems to be a very good deal..

We are starting a bit of a glider competition at our club and i'm looking for a budget glider to go along with them.
nightfox7 is online now Find More Posts by nightfox7
Last edited by nightfox7; Mar 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:41 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
How does the Phoenix compare to say the radian? It seems to be a very good deal..

We are starting a bit of a glider competition at our club and i'm looking for a budget glider to go along with them.
That's like comparing apples, to oranges. The Radian's a 3 channel floater, while the Phoenix 2k is a 5 channel speed demon, that cuts through the air like a hot knife through butter.
Maximilionalpha is offline Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:31 AM
KK4QIN
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,102 Posts
Quote:
That's like comparing apples, to oranges. The Radian's a 3 channel floater, while the Phoenix 2k is a 5 channel speed demon, that cuts through the air like a hot knife through butter.
I gotcha! How does it handle just gliding and thermaling?
nightfox7 is online now Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:54 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
743 Posts
Quote:
I've flown my Phoenix in really strong winds, performed steep dive maneuvers, loops and rolls and have never seen the wings flex. Currently making some elevator and rudder mods, so mine is down for the moment.

Same here........as I see alot of gliders (Like my Radian Pro) flex like hell, the Phoenix has wings as stiff as a wooden pole!
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:26 AM
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Quote:
With a nice head wind, great! If you can find a good thermal, it'll handle okay and by that I mean because the wings don't flex enough, they slice through the air and therefore, won't let the plane thermal that great.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:45 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
624 Posts
Quote:
With a nice head wind, great! If you can find a good thermal, it'll handle okay and by that I mean because the wings don't flex enough, they slice through the air and therefore, won't let the plane thermal that great.
Huh??? That makes no sense whatsoever.
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism
Last edited by botulism; Mar 15, 2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: +
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:54 PM
Seeker of Thermals
Joined Aug 2004
624 Posts
Quote:
It handles just great as long as you keep the speed up and don't stall. Add a bit of camber with the flaps and it will thermal quite well. I've had several hour+ flights on just one 25 second motor burn.

--
Greg
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:49 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
It handles just great as long as you keep the speed up and don't stall. Add a bit of camber with the flaps and it will thermal quite well. I've had several hour+ flights on just one 25 second motor burn.

--
Greg
yes it will tip stall if you try to turn at very low speeds ( i know as i have done it) and it will float forever with flaps down for a stock motor i think it is VERY fast,not a climbing beast but the design allows it to cut the air and moves real fast.

skip to 2.12 minutes and youll see im floating the try to turn and down she comes,zero damage
Phoenix 2000 (2 min 23 sec)
Last edited by fastfwd; Mar 15, 2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:23 AM
Joined Dec 2012
11 Posts
back into gliding

hi

i used to fly power 25 years ago and got into gliders recently. have pretty much mastered the Radian and have a sophisticated lady but as it is winter not flown on the hi start. am i over my head with the Pheonix 2000?

i can fly and land the Radian in a football field and recently spec'd out and lost it.
Robert P is offline Find More Posts by Robert P
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:30 AM
Joined Dec 2012
11 Posts
back into gliding

hi

i used to fly power 25 years ago and got into gliders recently. have pretty much mastered the Radian and have a sophisticated lady but as it is winter not flown on the hi start. am i over my head with the Pheonix 2000?

i can fly and land the Radian in a football field and recently spec'd out and lost it.
Robert P is offline Find More Posts by Robert P
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert P View Post
hi

do you have the Phoenix or the evolution ? mine is the evolution with longer wings and it is a sweet stable plane,must even with the longer wings you need a little power when turning other than that it is easy to fly and to land. Think you will be just fine.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:22 PM
Seeker of Thermals
Joined Aug 2004
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
do you have the Phoenix or the evolution ? mine is the evolution with longer wings and it is a sweet stable plane,must even with the longer wings you need a little power when turning other than that it is easy to fly and to land. Think you will be just fine.
Not sure what you mean by that, FF. The only power I need is when I launch it to get it up to 200 meters. After that, the motor is shut off (automatically if I have my ALES timer in there). It's a powered sailplane. There's no need to be flying around powered.

I get the impression that some people think this is a hotliner, or an acrobatic electric flyer. It's a sailplane. You can fly however you want to, but it was designed (the wing/tail/fuse planform, the airfoil, the control surfaces) to be a sailplane. The only reason that motor is up front is so you don't have to lay out a hi-start or a winch. It isn't designed for motoring the sailplane around under power. You CAN do this, but it's not as efficient (or challenging) as hunting for nothing but rising air to keep you aloft.

The flaps are used for glide path control. And, to a lesser extent, speed control. They're typically used on landing to allow the sailplane to come in at a much steeper angle (than without the flaps) without gathering too much speed. They can also be programmed (if you have the right radio) as either full span ailerons, or with a slight amount of 'up' (for cruise mode - called reflex - typically used to get out of sink, or to cruise at a faster speed while looking for lift), or a slight amount of down (for slowing it down slightly - called camber - used primarily in a thermal to slow it down while in lift). Or - when programmed to deflect 45-90 degrees down, they are used as airbrakes (see above) on landing. By 'slight amount' referenced above, I mean a few degrees only.

I just hate to see the Phoenix / Evolution bashed for things it wasn't meant to do. Like 'oh, the rudder is completely ineffective to turn'. Or 'My dog rolls faster than this thing'. Well, that's because it's a powered sailplane.

Off my soapbox now.
--
Greg
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Rudder mod to make my Phoenix turn without using so much aileron.