SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:40 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
the numbers for my set are at post 2401 page 161 rhampton. $20 motor, yes 4s and 13x6.5. Yu have to swing a big prop for good thrust. Buy the scorpion and let us know how it goes. Got one in mind? I'd love to buy a scorp if I could. Flew yesterday doing 10 sec motor runs for 200m climbs, did three from this summary, those numbers are max so they settle down a bit. i think my worst was 178m. No lift though so I was down in about 2 mins. Would post a graph but can't get it of the software to jpeg.
Just as an aside can anyone tell me how to post a previous post as a link? Thanks.
ok i'm a little confused..Did you use a different motor other than Stock? and if so which motor was it....i havent found a motor yet. i looked on HB at the 28xx series but all seemed like it would be same power....i dont mind spending on a more high end motor if i can find one that fits.....i would love to use 4s...the extra few Oz's is not toooo much of a concern,,,but i will not guess on a motor,,,i need to know what specific motor i can use on this glider and what prop and links to where to get it...other wise i will have to play the guessing game and buy a motor hoping it would fit....
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:44 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
ok i'm a little confused..Did you use a different motor other than Stock? and if so which motor was it....i havent found a motor yet. i looked on HB at the 28xx series but all seemed like it would be same power....i dont mind spending on a more high end motor if i can find one that fits.....i would love to use 4s...the extra few Oz's is not toooo much of a concern,,,but i will not guess on a motor,,,i need to know what specific motor i can use on this glider and what prop and links to where to get it...other wise i will have to play the guessing game and buy a motor hoping it would fit....
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_750kv.html

This is the motor I run, 4s, 13x6.5. If you read back from page 159 post 2382 onwards there is more info there. It's a cheap upgrade giving almost 2:1 thrust to weight. It may not be as efficient as a high end motor, but does the job ok. I like to call the phoenix a 'toyliner' . Mine is the 2000, maybe you need a bit more in the evo, but the firewall strength will limit.
I've just changed my outer sandwich layer to a piece of IC board from very thin metal that was bending, which I had been meaning to do for a while, 4mm ply on the inside. As you can see my nylon skin is like swiss cheese, original 16x16, 19x25 and the 25x25 for the motor I use now. So long as the sandwich is strong it is ok, even at 600w. What is you're auw on the evo?

Links:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2382

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2401

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2407
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Last edited by mustflynow2; Jan 07, 2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:46 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,295 Posts
Another pic
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:50 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,295 Posts
Can only load one at a time on this silly ipad
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:28 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
660 Posts
Quote:
....2nd's before that he was trying to catch thermos and notice that the Glider didnt really have any Bad habits....

.....motor is soooo slow...
as far as the break...i would assume that by default it would be on...i dont know why it's still spinning when i kill throttle...
I hope you don't 'break' your thermos. :-)

(Sorry, couldn't resist).
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:44 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
Quote:
the numbers for my set are at post 2401 page 161 rhampton. $20 motor, yes 4s and 13x6.5. Yu have to swing a big prop for good thrust. Buy the scorpion and let us know how it goes. Got one in mind? I'd love to buy a scorp if I could. Flew yesterday doing 10 sec motor runs for 200m climbs, did three from this summary, those numbers are max so they settle down a bit. i think my worst was 178m. No lift though so I was down in about 2 mins. Would post a graph but can't get it of the software to jpeg.
Just as an aside can anyone tell me how to post a previous post as a link? Thanks.
click on the number like 2427,then copy the page it takes you to. that will post it.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
Quote:
Another pic
ahh i see said the blind man just strengthen the ply mount and it would be good ..
i think ill leave it stock motor,i have other planes that will climb out of site .
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:00 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
click on the number like 2427,then copy the page it takes you to. that will post it.
Ah so that's how it's done! Thanks heaps for that
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:26 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Well i guess in certain circumstances the motor is duable....i decided to just leave it alone for now....too much trouble....once it's in the air, i seem to manage ok..it's just always that annoying lack of speed i have to deal with..
here's another video on my break Flying the Evolution

Phoenix Evolution Glider (3 min 30 sec)
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
If one is looking for a motor upgrade, for most any 2 meter glider, I would recommend a HobbyKing 2834 1250 kv. I'm using a 11X3.8 slo-fly prop on my Yak54 and getting a calculated thrust of 2.1kg! It uses less current with a 10X6" folding prop but I don't see any reason why one couldn't go to an 11X4 or 11X6 for the brief bursts of power one needs for a glider. This is a very strong motor.

That being said: I've only used the motor for a couple months and I can't speak to its longevity. And, Chinese quality control being what it is, there's always a chance of receiving a defective unit. I have still ordered 2 more for future projects. At a price of $17.00 I figure that I can replace the bearings or even the whole motor if I burn it out. I think it's worth a look.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17600
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:47 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
Quote:
Well i guess in certain circumstances the motor is duable....i decided to just leave it alone for now....too much trouble....once it's in the air, i seem to manage ok..it's just always that annoying lack of speed i have to deal with..
here's another video on my break Flying the Evolution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfE_CKu8yMk
Nice video man ! I just had a thought .. have you calibrated throttle on the esc ? You know throttle all the way up turn on TX plug in esc, after it gives you one or two beeps (check manual on this) drop throttle to bottom.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
hey sir rhampton ,i think this 590watt motor will fit the phoenix like a glove
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17600
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:50 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
U Serious? and it will be faster than that Piece of S#@%#**(# motor i have in there?
Damm i may end up keeping it now...let me research this
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
Hi, fastfwd. I love my 2834 and it has a lot of power but, frankly, I don't believe it will hold up to the full 590watts that they advertise. It gets fairly warm just putting out 375watts. Still, it's hard to find another motor in its class at the size and price. In fact, I love mine so much that I ordered 2 more for future projects!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:11 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,295 Posts
light southerly blowing

managed a 12 minute flight from a 10 sec motor run tonight, no thermal just a light breeze, maybe 8-10km/h at the most, not bad for the old phoenix 2000, auw at 1300 grams. when the red altitude line drops off I have decided to land as I am at a tight site with trees all around. launch was pretty bad too, nearly lost it back over my head