HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:03 AM
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jul 2008
96 Posts
Bought Phoenix 2000 at Christmas, swapped all servos for 9g metal geared twin ballrace Gening and changed clevises but otherwise all standard (put tape on canopy just in case prop caught it). Checked setup with club pro adjusted everything to neutral, all links same length, setup flaps/crow aileron differential and expotential, original motor/prop and esc - result- flies like a dream, four flights today, each flight took the lipo down to 40% remaining on 2200 3 cell and no traumas. Motor felt fine on landing. Just need a touch of aileron/rudder mix .
Bob
BOBP2 is offline Find More Posts by BOBP2
Last edited by BOBP2; Jan 06, 2013 at 08:05 AM. Reason: added info
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:18 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBP2 View Post
Bought Phoenix 2000 at Christmas, swapped all servos for 9g metal geared twin ballrace Gening and changed clevises but otherwise all standard (put tape on canopy just in case prop caught it). Checked setup with club pro adjusted everything to neutral, all links same length, setup flaps/crow aileron differential and expotential, original motor/prop and esc - result- flies like a dream, four flights today, each flight took the lipo down to 40% remaining on 2200 3 cell and no traumas. Motor felt fine on landing. Just need a touch of aileron/rudder mix .
Bob
It is just a blast to fly for me. I like the way it responds quickly and will float like a dream. Glad your enjoying it !
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:25 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
no i haven't have the opportunity to do that yet...it's not a simple task and because i can get whole plane in my SUV at once, i feel it a task to take whole plane apart just for that purpose...i did fly again yesterday and i had the chance to catch some Thermos....i like the Glider, it's a cool looking glider but i may end up selling it...i think i'm gonna invest in a fiberglass Glider and get a motor that will get some serious climbing power. there's a guy selling one for $600 and i need to get funds for that one so i may end up putting this one for sale in the classifieds...not sure yet..haven't made up my mind....if i can find a motor that will fit in this glider that's more powerful and still be able to use 3s i may Keep...i'm just not sure...
i know the dia of the stock motor is 28mm but no idea of the bolt hole pattern, lots of 28mm motors on hobby king,and i think back a few posts was the stock motor watts. you just need to be sure to get one that will handle the prop and have correct bolt pattern
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:06 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,162 Posts
The HK 28XX 'Gold' Turnigy motors and HK 28XX Black NTM motors (the better motor of the two!) have slightly different patterns.
The Gold Turnigy motor is the same pattern as the stock motor, but to use the NTM, two of the holes on mounts need to be elongated.
(I'm pretty sure that's the way it went down when I had to replace after overheating my stock motor!)
-B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:10 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
how is the power difference...that's my main concern..if it's just a little better than i probably wont do it, i need to get a motor that i can notice a nice significant Climb..Even a motor that may allow me to use a 4s..i dont mind the extra Weight...if it's gonna mean great power, than i'm more happy with that...Remember i dont plan on Flying it around with that type of power,,i'm more concerned with Climbing power....Watts,,,,Pulling power
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:45 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Also does anyone have any idea of the Wattage in the Stock motor...Maybe i'll just customize frame and put a Freekn Scorpion motor in there..500W...i imagine the stock motor is no more than 150W? does anyone know?
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:02 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
Quote:
Also does anyone have any idea of the Wattage in the Stock motor...Maybe i'll just customize frame and put a Freekn Scorpion motor in there..500W...i imagine the stock motor is no more than 150W? does anyone know?
stock motor 2815/1050kv is 250watt .
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:25 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
ok great fstfwd..thanks for the Info..
here's another video clip of some Gliders...The Phoenix Evolution is kind of in the Middle...

Experience Pro 3.3M & Phoenix Evolution Glider (5 min 53 sec)
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:39 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,293 Posts
the numbers for my set are at post 2401 page 161 rhampton. $20 motor, yes 4s and 13x6.5. Yu have to swing a big prop for good thrust. Buy the scorpion and let us know how it goes. Got one in mind? I'd love to buy a scorp if I could. Flew yesterday doing 10 sec motor runs for 200m climbs, did three from this summary, those numbers are max so they settle down a bit. i think my worst was 178m. No lift though so I was down in about 2 mins. Would post a graph but can't get it of the software to jpeg.
Just as an aside can anyone tell me how to post a previous post as a link? Thanks.
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Last edited by mustflynow2; Jan 06, 2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:41 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,162 Posts
Hi rhamton, During the Evo flight, One of you mention the motor has not been on for five minutes, yet then one of you say you can hear the prop spinning. So that means it's windmilling, creating drag.

Is it not a folding prop or did it fail to fold or don't you have the brake turned on, on the ESC to help the prop fold?

(Going by the dust cloud on one of the landings, looks like you have not had much rain there for a while!?)

-B!LL!
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:53 PM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
750 Posts
Quote:
ok great fstfwd..thanks for the Info..
here's another video clip of some Gliders...The Phoenix Evolution is kind of in the Middle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjlMr0dWIsY
Wow, I like that video! Is it really (almost) up to the standards of the high-end gliders?
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:06 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,162 Posts
On the video again I was just thinking of anther thing.
I think your friend was flying it, doing STEEP turns (almost knife edge) at about 'one mistake high' and talking about tip stalls, which it did not do. then on landing, what happens, oops, looked like that may have tip stalled. Ouch!

Also, what's with the winch launch, it sounds like whoever is operating it is turning it off/on/off/on, is that so it does not go too fast and rip the wings off?

I remember years ago when I first learnt bungee cord launches not to climb to steeply at launch because that WILL fold the wings! - However I ever folded one set of wings, the lesson was learnt!
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:26 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Hi rhamton, During the Evo flight, One of you mention the motor has not been on for five minutes, yet then one of you say you can hear the prop spinning. So that means it's windmilling, creating drag.

Is it not a folding prop or did it fail to fold or don't you have the brake turned on, on the ESC to help the prop fold?

(Going by the dust cloud on one of the landings, looks like you have not had much rain there for a while!?)

-B!LL!
i noticed that prop also, the brake must not be set on the esc. But if your going to go bigger just be sure to set brake on new esc Nice bunch of guys you fly with ,and good video bud !
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:42 PM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
On the video again I was just thinking of anther thing.
I think your friend was flying it, doing STEEP turns (almost knife edge) at about 'one mistake high' and talking about tip stalls, which it did not do. then on landing, what happens, oops, looked like that may have tip stalled. Ouch!
Wouldn't call that a tip stall, it was not level at landing so it came down on a wing...... But. I agree, that was not the best flying I saw.
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:30 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
Wouldn't call that a tip stall, it was not level at landing so it came down on a wing...... But. I agree, that was not the best flying I saw.
yes that's correct...it wasnt really a tip stall, just a careless landing but he going towards the wind so that type of landing is expected.........2nd's before that he was trying to catch thermos and notice that the Glider didnt really have any Bad habits..so i'm actually satisfied with the way it flies..it's just that Damm motor is soooo slow...
as far as the break...i would assume that by default it would be on...i dont know why it's still spinning when i kill throttle...and yes that was my friend flying my Evolution so i could focus on the Filming....

those Real glider are high end $800 to $1500 Gliders so no mine doesn't compare buuuut,,,in the Sky, you could hardly tell the difference,,,,but performance,,,u boy....little embarrassed.....LOL..