HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:24 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
That's the same place i got mine fstfwd...on ebay...took 6 days to get it in mail....
i'm wondering now how much better tho,,, it would Fly with the smaller Wing,,,the 1.6m...i think this Glider and the power setup was designed for the 1.6m....Someone decided to ad a center piece and use a different manufactor to now sell as a 2.6m but failed to us a more powerful motor...so now we have more weight but no compensation in power...i'm now Temped to take off the Center piece and see how it Flies with just the 1.6m...i want to see if the performance will be more responsive in power and climbing...
Do it man ! Put the short wings on and let me now, i want to know how fast it is .. mine is very quick and will just spin around on its wing tip with long wings on.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:16 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Do it man ! Put the short wings on and let me now, i want to know how fast it is .. mine is very quick and will just spin around on its wing tip with long wings on.
You want to know how fast it is??? why?

ffw and rhampton, dare I say that you fellas may very well have bought the wrong airplane? The Phoenix 2000 and Evolution 2.6 are electric sailplanes. They do their job quite well, which is getting up to altitude with a reasonably powerful motor, and then gliding, covering as much ground as possible, while looking for lift. I have no idea how the Evo flies with that butchered wing, nor do I have any interest in finding out. There are lots of electric airplanes out there that might fulfill your need to bore some holes in the sky better than a 2m or a standard class sailplane. eg. the Parkzone T-28 - great electric airplane, can do some mild aerobatics, plenty fast enough. But y'know, it sure doesn't thermal very well Maybe Horizon will come out with the wing extensions to bring it up to 1.6meters for thermaling. Now how silly would that be?

--
Greg
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:33 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
You want to know how fast it is??? why?

ffw and rhampton, dare I say that you fellas may very well have bought the wrong airplane? The Phoenix 2000 and Evolution 2.6 are electric sailplanes. They do their job quite well, which is getting up to altitude with a reasonably powerful motor, and then gliding, covering as much ground as possible, while looking for lift. I have no idea how the Evo flies with that butchered wing, nor do I have any interest in finding out. There are lots of electric airplanes out there that might fulfill your need to bore some holes in the sky better than a 2m or a standard class sailplane. eg. the Parkzone T-28 - great electric airplane, can do some mild aerobatics, plenty fast enough. But y'know, it sure doesn't thermal very well Maybe Horizon will come out with the wing extensions to bring it up to 1.6meters for thermaling. Now how silly would that be?

--
Greg
Nope you need to read back a few posts, i think this is one sweet plane, it is faster than i need, i love how light it is, and how it floats like a dream,it is sir rhampton that thinks it needs more power i was teasing him about the speed and shorter wings. with the big wings, i have never even gone past 1/2 throttle as i never needed to, and the 2.6 wings stay on permanent, i have 3d plane,s if i want speed but im more into floating I also have two diamond 2500 gliders (best there is in my mind) a Super Sky Surfer,and a Sonic 185 glider. So no speed just isnt my concern, i did upgrade motor on super sky surfer as it is so big it was sadly under powered.
Last edited by fastfwd; Jan 04, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:23 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
I love flying my Phoenix Evolution 1.6m. The only time I wish it was larger is when I try to get higher in altitude. I would like to reach 1100 feet altitude. The highest I've been is 980 feet while flying the 1.6m Evolution. When I started to come down I lost control/orientation and it nosedived into the ground! So now I'm sort of scared trying to reach higher altitude. I keep thinking I might lose control again and see it nosedive into the ground. lol.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:30 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
I love flying my Phoenix Evolution 1.6m. The only time I wish it was larger is when I try to get higher in altitude. I would like to reach 1100 feet altitude. The highest I've been is 980 feet while flying the 1.6m Evolution. When I started to come down I lost control/orientation and it nosedived into the ground! So now I'm sort of scared trying to reach higher altitude. I keep thinking I might lose control again and see it nosedive into the ground. lol.
ouch !! did it total it out ??
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:16 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Sir Hampton,,,,,hmmm,,,,,i likes that......
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:44 PM
Joined May 2010
71 Posts
Altitudes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post

I've got an eagletree altimeter and the highest I have gone was a little over 1200 ft. I was able to keep orientation but to be honest it was not fun flying since if you took your eyes off it was hard to spot again. I think I was having a Yeager moment and just seeing how far i could go. I prefer the slope and some nice close in flying.
Jeebs77 is offline Find More Posts by Jeebs77
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
Sir Hampton,,,,,hmmm,,,,,i likes that......
Thats Sir Rhampton of the Everglades Rhamptons
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:07 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
Quote:
ouch !! did it total it out ??

Nope. I had to put fiberglass on the nose of the fuselage and I had to put in a new motor and prop. Besides that the rest was OK
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:30 AM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
Quote:
Nope you need to read back a few posts, i think this is one sweet plane, it is faster than i need, i love how light it is, and how it floats like a dream,it is sir rhampton that thinks it needs more power i was teasing him about the speed and shorter wings. with the big wings, i have never even gone past 1/2 throttle as i never needed to, and the 2.6 wings stay on permanent, i have 3d plane,s if i want speed but im more into floating I also have two diamond 2500 gliders (best there is in my mind) a Super Sky Surfer,and a Sonic 185 glider. So no speed just isnt my concern, i did upgrade motor on super sky surfer as it is so big it was sadly under powered.
I find it interesting to see what other people fly. Its kind of telling not unlike looking at someones bookshelves.

Having said that..

Fastfwd, you have fine taste in airplanes. I too have a D2500, SSS, a couple sonic 185's in addtion to the phoenix 2000. No 3D planes as of yet, but leaning that way for next spring/summer, something precision aerobatics perhaps. Additional aricraft are the e-flight ascent (my first glider), a Xeno, a popwing, a CTH Storm Chaser and a 750 class hexa.

But I can stop whenever I want to.

On the short list for aquisition are an X8 and Deep Reaper. I'm even thinking of picking up a d2500 fuz and wing set and attempt hacking together an entry level VTPR airframe! Either clipping the D2500 wings or most likely fabricating new wings.

Very hard to say which my favorite is.

BG
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Last edited by BravoGolf; Jan 05, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:22 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoGolf View Post
I find it interesting to see what other people fly. Its kind of telling not unlike looking at someones bookshelves.

Having said that..

Fastfwd, you have fine taste in airplanes. I too have a D2500, SSS, a couple sonic 185's in addtion to the phoenix 2000. No 3D planes as of yet, but leaning that way for next spring/summer, something precision aerobatics perhaps. Additional aricraft are the e-flight ascent (my first glider), a Xeno, a popwing, a CTH Storm Chaser and a 750 class hexa.

On the short list for aquisition are an X8 and Deep Reaper. I'm even thinking of picking up a d2500 fuz and wing set and attempt hacking together an entry level VTPR airframe! Either clipping the D2500 wings or most likely fabricating new wings.

BG
great taste in planes Good luck finding a wing set for the diamond I bought a crashed one and fixed wings,in order to have an extra set A great way to start the 3d is with this http://www.twistedhobbys.com/TH-32-E...OT-BLUE-04.htm a little spendy for foam (well EPP) after motor ect but man it is a blast,and a sweet flyer,and a crash is just a matter of gluing and flying again
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:14 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoGolf View Post

Having said that..

BG
If you want a cheap starter for 3D with full body fus, rather than profile, people are raving about this. Think it is available in the states too.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1727542
mustflynow2 is offline Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
If you want a cheap starter for 3D with full body fus, rather than profile, people are raving about this. Think it is available in the states too.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1727542
http://usa.wattaplane.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=112

I like it !
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:30 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
rhampton

you fly her with short wing setup yet ?? It is very cold and wind blowing here so no flying today.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:53 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
no i haven't have the opportunity to do that yet...it's not a simple task and because i can get whole plane in my SUV at once, i feel it a task to take whole plane apart just for that purpose...i did fly again yesterday and i had the chance to catch some Thermos....i like the Glider, it's a cool looking glider but i may end up selling it...i think i'm gonna invest in a fiberglass Glider and get a motor that will get some serious climbing power. there's a guy selling one for $600 and i need to get funds for that one so i may end up putting this one for sale in the classifieds...not sure yet..haven't made up my mind....if i can find a motor that will fit in this glider that's more powerful and still be able to use 3s i may Keep...i'm just not sure...
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton