SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:38 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
So no one has ever changed out the motor in the Evolution?
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:33 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2624
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:48 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Quote:

I fly the Evolution and I'm glad to see more people have it too. I crashed my Evolution and had to replace the motor. I replaced it with the Turnigy 2836 1000kv and a 9x6 folding prop set, both from hobbtyking:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8139

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13141

That motor does the job nicely with that prop. That motor is also a real workhorse. The only problem I had was the ESC I was using (40amp) burned up one night while night flying. I'm not sure if it was because of the motor or my soldering job. I had lots of wires soldered to the ESC. Anyway, I bought a new 70amp ESC from hobbyking and that has worked nicely (also opened up the air vents that I once had covered with fiberglass).

I love the Evolution in the short mode. I'm a little afraid of putting on that extra big wing. Every time I try flying the big version it's like flying a big battleship! It's hard to turn and I feel like the field I fly over (a corn field) is too small! lol. I should add I don't use rudder, only bank and yank.

That Evolution in short mode is an awesome glider. I have LEDS all over it now and it's my night flyer.

Finally, my Evolution has been in a few big crashes and looks like it's been through some hell but keeps on flying!
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:09 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
ok great...I'm glad i found someone that did that Mod...Was it a night and day difference? and were you still using a 3s? i dont want just a replacement motor...i wanted something with a significantly more power...so would u recommend that motor for that purpose?
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:22 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Yes, I still use a 3 cell. Significantly more power? I would say no, it's not more power in my opinion.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:22 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
ok great...I'm glad i found someone that did that Mod...Was it a night and day difference? and were you still using a 3s? i dont want just a replacement motor...i wanted something with a significantly more power...so would u recommend that motor for that purpose?
What happened anyway ? i never got mine up to full throttle it was just so fast i was afraid it would run out of sight. I also never tried to climb vertical as i have other planes that will and this one is just so fun to get up there and float around. If you go bigger you may want to strengthen the motor mount area ? would this work ?? right size in diameter, but says for EDF ?? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_3200kv.html 650w compared to the 300w
Last edited by fastfwd; Jan 03, 2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:27 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Richard View Post
Ehm... as far as I know, the difference is not only that one.
Also consider that the Phoenix 2000 is 2m and Phoenix evolution is 1.6m or 2.6m (not 2.0m).
Thanks for the info! Does the Evolution have flaps? If so, are the servos installed?
I can't find any info anywhere on this plane!!
Who sells it?
billdad1 is offline Find More Posts by billdad1
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:31 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
My Evolution came with flaps and two servos installed for the flaps.

The motor I use in my Evolution is strong but sometimes I wish I had a tad more power. The stock motor that came with it, before I crashed it, it would launch from my hands like it was on rails. This new motor I have in it almost launches like it is on rails but not 100% at good as the stock motor. But I've used that new motor a good amount and so far it has held up. I'm thinking I should order two more of them to have them on hand for the future.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:02 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdad1 View Post
Thanks for the info! Does the Evolution have flaps? If so, are the servos installed?
I can't find any info anywhere on this plane!!
Who sells it?
here is where i got mine, same guy, fast shipping no problems, comes with flaps and servos ready to go. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phoenix-Evol...40894894054%26
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:03 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
My Evolution came with flaps and two servos installed for the flaps.

The motor I use in my Evolution is strong but sometimes I wish I had a tad more power. The stock motor that came with it, before I crashed it, it would launch from my hands like it was on rails. This new motor I have in it almost launches like it is on rails but not 100% at good as the stock motor. But I've used that new motor a good amount and so far it has held up. I'm thinking I should order two more of them to have them on hand for the future.
you think this one would work and have enough power ?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_3200kv.html
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:25 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,341 Posts
Quote:
My set up was taken on by teamsherman, post 2426, page 162 if you want a second opinion. It is heavier than stock for phoenix 2000. 2200 4s needs to be pushed back to servo tray on the fus floor with battery tray removed.
So low kv, high voltage low amp draw, large prop for max thrust and rpm around 8000. In my opinion it is about the limit to balance out and with no strengthening to the nylon fus for the 2000. If you read on from page 159 there is more info.

Fastforward, I have that 3200kv red motor in small pylon 400 type planes turning 5x5 props at high rpm at around 45 amp draw, not really the thing for our gliders.
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:52 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2011
600 Posts
Ubec / esc

I have this HobbyKing UBEC and am replacing the stock ESC with a HobbyWing 30A.

I've read online some places about disconnecting the power from the ESC to the receiver when a UBEC is being used. Do I need to do this?
Markran is offline Find More Posts by Markran
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:16 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
806 Posts
Makran,

Yes you need to do it. Otherwise you'll have two output voltages powering your receiver: from UBEC and from the ESC Internal regulator (linear/switching).
Just use your signal wire from the ESC to the receiver and the ground+red wires from UBEC to the receiver.
The ground wire from ESC to the rx needs also to be removed to avoid a ground loop in your setup - The ESC is already connected to the ground wire on the battery.
HF_ATL is online now Find More Posts by HF_ATL
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:29 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markran View Post
I have this HobbyKing UBEC and am replacing the stock ESC with a HobbyWing 30A.

I've read online some places about disconnecting the power from the ESC to the receiver when a UBEC is being used. Do I need to do this?
Yep, good idea to run seperate bec with 6 servos esp if you are flying hard. I use the plush/ sentry esc's and haven't had an issue with the onboard 3 amp switching bec, but know I am not overloading my esc, with throttle. Still always a good idea. Recently popped a bec on another plane due to heat build up, running close to limits is not a good idea with onboard bec. Luckily happened prior to second take off on the ground, cheap electronics, must always be wary.
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:19 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
here is where i got mine, same guy, fast shipping no problems, comes with flaps and servos ready to go. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phoenix-Evol...40894894054%26
That's the same place i got mine fstfwd...on ebay...took 6 days to get it in mail....
i'm wondering now how much better tho,,, it would Fly with the smaller Wing,,,the 1.6m...i think this Glider and the power setup was designed for the 1.6m....Someone decided to ad a center piece and use a different manufactor to now sell as a 2.6m but failed to us a more powerful motor...so now we have more weight but no compensation in power...i'm now Temped to take off the Center piece and see how it Flies with just the 1.6m...i want to see if the performance will be more responsive in power and climbing...