SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:21 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
Meteorology 101: Cold air can't hold as much water as warmer air. Relative humidity is the amount of water in the air compared to the maximum amount POSSIBLE at that temperature. So, down at 2 deg (I assume you mean F) the air can barely hold any water at all, thus the high relative humidity number.

Now back to our regularly scheduled shivering and waiting for spring....

Happy new year to all!
--
Greg
Meteorology 102:

Air with very high humidity is NOT "thicker" or "heavier" than very dry air. It is the other way around.

Aerodynamics 101:

Once free of contact with the ground (or hand, or any terrestrial object or body), steady state wind has absolutely NO affect on any type of aircraft or on it's performance, stall characteristics, control response, power requirements, NOTHING, NADA. Wind shear, either horizontal (gusts) or vertical (up/down drafts), or any combination of the shear vector will, however, have varied SHORT period (momentary) affects.

Now back to the bowl games.

Ted
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:23 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
Meteorology 101: Cold air can't hold as much water as warmer air. Relative humidity is the amount of water in the air compared to the maximum amount POSSIBLE at that temperature. So, down at 2 deg (I assume you mean F) the air can barely hold any water at all, thus the high relative humidity number.

Now back to our regularly scheduled shivering and waiting for spring....

Happy new year to all!
--
Greg
COLD !! I took my diamond 2500 out for a flight and froze my fingers in short time. And by the way,at these temperatures the CA glue gets hard and stuff wont hold just the velcro holding on canopy ,but it could be disastrous !
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:19 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
i was able to do a Video Review on the Phoenix Evolution Glider. Hopefully soon i can get someone to Video tape me Flying it...so in the mean time........................................

PHOENX EVOLUTION ELECTRIC GLIDER (3 min 58 sec)
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:19 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
i was able to do a Video Review on the Phoenix Evolution Glider. Hopefully soon i can get someone to Video tape me Flying it...so in the mean time........................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwMDd...ature=youtu.be
good job bud ! Heres a short windy one,
phoenix 2000-2 (3 min 9 sec)
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:40 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
That was nice flying....let me ask, does yours have any bad habits ? Or are you completely satisfied with the way it flies
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:19 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
That was nice flying....let me ask, does yours have any bad habits ? Or are you completely satisfied with the way it flies
Only thing i saw was you have to be careful turning in a glide with power off, to much aileron and she will tip stall, i used rudder to turn,and have zero problems under power,the thing under half throttle will stand on its wing tip and turn
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:36 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
Ok i flew the Evolution again for a really good flight today and i come to the conclusion that this motor is incredibly "SLOW"!!!....i almost stalled trying to hand launch into a climb......i have to change this motor out ASAP......it gets really hot too,, so i imagine a 4s would not be good for this motor.....Has anyone used a different motor for this glider?..i need to swap out right away......if anyone is having similar thoughts on this please advise....
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:15 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
Also what size lipo is everyone using for the Evolution....maybe my batery is to big???...im using 2200mah.....am i suppose to be using like a 1300?.....without changing motor im wonder if tbat was the cause...maybe i was nose heavy?.....
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:16 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Aug 2012
16 Posts
Hi, I'm flying the Evolution stock (except for clevises). Hand launch, pick up airspeed and then it climbes very nicely. It flies really well as a glider. I find the 1.6 version really good fun on a slope with very little need for teh motor at all. Wing tip stalls happen very quickly and can have devestating results. Combined aileron (small amount) and rudder give quite good fairly flat turns. Bank and Crank also works well and looks nice

Overall I'm very happy with this as a glider. Its not a hot or warm liner unless you change bits.

Cheers
SarjeNZ is offline Find More Posts by SarjeNZ
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:30 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
Just for a little clarification, are we reviewing two different gliders here? The HobbyKING-Phoenix 2000, and The Phoenix Evolution.
I am interested in both but are they not two different planes? Are they from the same manufacturer?
billdad1 is offline Find More Posts by billdad1
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:00 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Also what size lipo is everyone using for the Evolution....maybe my batery is to big???...im using 2200mah.....am i suppose to be using like a 1300?.....without changing motor im wonder if tbat was the cause...maybe i was nose heavy?.....
could be the lipo mine is a 1600 3s, i had zero heating issues , and was quite happy with the power, half throttle and she takes off sweet, i thought it was really quite fast for the long wing span
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:02 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdad1 View Post
Just for a little clarification, are we reviewing two different gliders here? The HobbyKING-Phoenix 2000, and The Phoenix Evolution.
I am interested in both but are they not two different planes? Are they from the same manufacturer?
only difference is one has the extra wing section
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:09 PM
Joined May 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Ehm... as far as I know, the difference is not only that one.
Also consider that the Phoenix 2000 is 2m and Phoenix evolution is 1.6m or 2.6m (not 2.0m).
_Richard is offline Find More Posts by _Richard
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:10 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
And I think the rudder is larger on the Evolution
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:36 PM