HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Jun 2012
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
this glider is VERY light,when i first started motor on maiden flight,i stopped it as it didnt sound like it had enough power to even fly. i thought maybe i didnt have esc throttle calibrated. But it was and it fly's very well and is fast. I think a bigger motor might be to much for it being so light,and may even twist motor mount out of fuse. ??
Yeah that's a really significant problem because I was thinking of using it as something of a warmliner... the motor+prop is enough to take it to about 100-110 kph, do you think the plane might go to pieces at those speeds?
Nereth is offline Find More Posts by Nereth
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:42 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Merry Christmas to all my fellow Lanyu Phoenix 2000/Evolution glider flyers and all others who love electric gliders! Bring on 2013!
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:32 AM
Россия, Пермский край, город Пермь
Joined Jul 2011
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereth View Post
I already have a full power system (battery, ESC, motor, prop) from an existing glider, I am trying to decide if putting it into a phoenix 2000 is viable, and if so, is it an upgrade or not

What spinner diameter would you say is correct for this plane?
If you already have power system - try to fit it. There is enough place, if you move servos on tail. You can install 35 mm motor inside, but you need a long (not short) shaft and accuracy fit motor cable.

Kit prop have 3mm shaft diameter.
ilipin is offline Find More Posts by ilipin
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:37 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,902 Posts
I run a 36mm in mine with great results.

3639 750kv with a 13x7 prop and it gives unlimited vertical climb out and gets to altitude really quickly.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:34 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
i plane on buying this glider on ebay within the next day or 2. i just wanted to ask, is this Glider reliable right out the box? i plan on buying the PnP..i'm going to use my DX7 and AR500 rx. Is it a major build? how fast can one get this airborne. just a few questions to ease my mind before i buy....
i also heard of a motor heating the foam issue? i'm wondering if i purchase this from ebay,,will i get the latest fix batch...that's a major concern for me...
Any feedback would be great...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150969794223
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:48 AM
High Altitude Flyer
Fairplay, South Park, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,608 Posts
I bought my Version III Phoenix 2000 kit from tHobby King's USA warehouse a few weeks ago. There are two major issues to deal with: COOLING and RUDDER

1: OPEN THE MOTOR COOLING AIR VENTING through all layers of the motor mount and fuselage nose; if you do this, the motor will have a far better chance of staying cool. I also enlarged the air intakes on the sides of the nose & cut away the insulating heat shrink covering from selected areas of the ESC, then mounted the ESC on the underside of the battery tray to insure good air flow past it. I also cut a pir of cooling air exit holes on either side of the plastic fuselage aft of the wing's trailing edge, to let the warm air out. (See post 2435 on page 163 for more details & photos)

A vented prop spinner allows more cooling air through the motor: (see post 2442)

2: Add a hinge to the bottom of the rudder- it definitely needs one. See post 2464 on page 165 for details of a simple way of doing this.

VIKING
viking60 is offline Find More Posts by viking60
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:13 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
Is this glider the same as the phoenix Evolution 2.6?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:09 PM
A4Framie
New Zealand, Marlborough, Woodbourne
Joined Nov 2011
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshack View Post
Not an excellent thermaller but it will mix it with the best on a good day. i have no problems with it on good days and have managed to climb to 483 mtrs on one flight, "Jolly Logic" altimeter.

Excellent value for money and I've hod no issues with any of the equipment supplied with it. either has my dad.
Heh!! What was the decent like....?

AlfieV
alfiev is offline Find More Posts by alfiev
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:14 AM
remotely sensitive
United States, WI, Verona
Joined Oct 2011
205 Posts
Ad, check all servos on the new glider to Viking"s List. Two of my servos were "dead on arrival" That said, the gears are interchangeable with Tower Pro 9gs and possibly others. I re-geared both with a few dead servos I had lying around. Servos now have been reliable.

The 2000 and the Evolution are almost the same. Be warned the 2.6m glider wing is HEAVY (like 1.7lbs for wing alone, just weighed it).. has TWO square aluminium tubes running the length of the center wing section, plus heavy almost solid fiberglass rods. The evolution (2.6m) has about 2 inches more vertical tail length. I would not buy the 2.6m again, but would go for the 2000. The price difference is not worth the 60 extra centimeters IMHO.
woodenshoe is offline Find More Posts by woodenshoe
Last edited by woodenshoe; Dec 26, 2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:23 AM
High Altitude Flyer
Fairplay, South Park, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,608 Posts
Woodenshoe,

Glad you mentioned the servos; I simply replaced all of the stock ones with some metal gear servos before I ever flew my Phoenix - I simply didn't choose to take a chance on the stock servos in this aircraft.

VIKING
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:44 AM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
reliability mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
i plane on buying this glider on ebay within the next day or 2. i just wanted to ask, is this Glider reliable right out the box? i plan on buying the PnP..i'm going to use my DX7 and AR500 rx. Is it a major build? how fast can one get this airborne. just a few questions to ease my mind before i buy....
i also heard of a motor heating the foam issue? i'm wondering if i purchase this from ebay,,will i get the latest fix batch...that's a major concern for me...

Another item for concern which I believe has not been addressed with subsequent revisions, and I could certainly be wrong about this, is the cheap ass brittle clevises included definitely need replacing. You've heard the saying you are only as strong as your weakest link? Well these are a very weak link!

I also removed the factory push rods in addition to the oem clevises and sadly don't recall at the moment what I replaced the push rods with. I believe they were dubro with matching sized clevises. I left the factory push rod sleeving as it seemed to be ok with the beefier push rods. It was quite some time ago but I believe I did this (push rod replacement) based on information posted by others earlier in the thread.

If this is no longer a concern, I'll stand corrected.

BG
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Last edited by BravoGolf; Dec 26, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:52 PM
High Altitude Flyer
Fairplay, South Park, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,608 Posts
BravoGolf,

The latest version III Phoenix 2000 kit shipped by Hobby King a few weeks ago (USA Warehouse stock) now has some fairly resilient nylon plastic clevises - definitely not 'brittle', so these may have also been upgraded.

They don't necessarily latch closed as well as I would like, but then that's rather typical of plastic clevises. By sliding on a ~3/8" long section of large silicone fuel tubing over the plastic clevis, they seem to be something that will serve their purposes adequately. (I always do the same thing with DuBro or Sullivan plastic clevises, too, as I've also seen them open by themselves over time, so there's really not much difference now.... (I do prefer to install metal clevises, sometimes soldered directly to the control rod on most of my larger aircraft.)

The stock control rods look to be smaller diameter than the 2-56 Dubro or Sullivan clevises, so from what I could tell, just replacing the clevises alone with 2-56 ones is not really an option.

VIKING
Last edited by viking60; Dec 29, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:02 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post

that is where i got mine bud,(Lanyu Hobby,RichTop) it arrived within five days. only thing i did was replace all the crap control clevis,s and put in a bigger and better esc. with the 2.6 wings on this thing is very fast and very responsive,yet will float forever I think you will love it.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:28 PM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
phoenix pushrods

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking60 View Post
BravoGolf,

The latest version III Phoenix 2000 kit shipped by Hobby King a few weeks ago (USA Warehouse stock) now has some fairly resilient nylon plastic clevises - definitely not 'brittle', so these may have also been upgraded.

They don't necessarily latch closed as well as I would like, but by sliding on a ~3/8" long section of large silicone fuel tubing over the clevis, they seem to be something that will serve their purposes adequately. The stock control rods look to be smaller diameter than the 2-56 Dubro clevises, so from what I could tell, just replacing the clevises alone with 2-56 ones is not really an option.

VIKING
/
Which is why I didn't replace the clevises alone but the entire push rods.
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Last edited by BravoGolf; Dec 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:10 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
that is where i got mine bud,(Lanyu Hobby,RichTop) it arrived within five days. only thing i did was replace all the crap control clevis,s and put in a bigger and better esc. with the 2.6 wings on this thing is very fast and very responsive,yet will float forever I think you will love it.
Wow fastfwd,, i see you and i have probably had every Glider in the book..i see u on every forum....LOL...it's all good tho, i'm glad....so u actually bought this Phoenix Evolution? i should get mine on Friday in the mail..it's the 742-5 Version..Latest batch..i can wait to see it..Not as Bulky looking as the Diamond 2500 but is sure Lighter....Under 60oz.....u yeahh,,,my back is loving this...a no stress Launching glider...
will keep that in mind about the control clevis...if you have photos, can u upload? i rarely see any except the stock ones online....In fact if anyone has the 2.6m version evolution, can you please post photos,,,,,photos,,,i want to see..