HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:43 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,321 Posts
Got the new 45amp esc with 6amp sbec built in, also a program card break is set to medium and works great.. If only the wind would just stop or slow down a bit !
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:57 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Got the new 45amp esc with 6amp sbec built in, also a program card break is set to medium and works great.. If only the wind would just stop or slow down a bit !
Is it this one?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

If so you should be happy, they are a rip off of the German yge, and seem pretty good. I have three, this one an 80 and 100 as well. Good luck with the wind, I have a perfect day today but no flying as too much to do, is that worse than lousey weather and being free to fly?
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
Is it this one?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

If so you should be happy, they are a rip off of the German yge, and seem pretty good. I have three, this one an 80 and 100 as well. Good luck with the wind, I have a perfect day today but no flying as too much to do, is that worse than lousey weather and being free to fly?
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...er--45A/Detail this the one i just put in.. i have never used this brand before but hear good things.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,321 Posts
bet the control rods dont come loose now
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:05 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
bet the control rods dont come loose now
No the horn will break! Nice job
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:43 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,160 Posts
Quote:
No the horn will break! Nice job
It might depend on how hard the plane hits the ground!

-B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:26 AM
Россия, Пермский край, город Пермь
Joined Jul 2011
210 Posts
Quote:
Ouch! Frozen eye balls! you are a brave man doing fpv. Have you flown any faster planes fpv. i have seen some great video of people flying through trees having to dodge branches and react at the last minute, it looks great?
I'm still fear fly fast between trees and obstacles. My "heavy" FPV Raptor plane carry Sony Nex and cannot make stunts with it . "Light" Phoenix can, but I need change video Tx (look to 5.8 gHz) for improve range and avoid interference bugs. Will try in Cris-mas vacations, now too could for outside experiments .
ilipin is offline Find More Posts by ilipin
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:29 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,889 Posts
Not sure if I posted my results after installing a new setup in my bird??

Anyway, I kept having problems with the 3530 1100kv NTM, I went through 3 motors as they kept coming down too hot to touch running a 9x6 prop and running a 40amp Plush.

I took some advice off here and installed the 3639 750kv with a 13x7 prop, so now the motor runs stone cold and its pulling near unlimited vertical! I'm loving this glider even more now and off a 1800mah 3s if I actually use the power the whole time (very rarely) I'm still getting great run times.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:12 AM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
Thanks everyone for your answers. On my DE warehouse the phoenix 2000 was on BK for the last two weeks, the dynamic-s was not, but I could hold myself and not by it =) And today I looked at hobbyking in my local DE Warehouse, and guess what, they had ONE Phoenix 2000 ARF in stock. Since today is my BD I could hold myself and ordered one

Here I need your help. The DE warehouse only has following low KV motors in stock (didnt look < 1000 kv though)

NTM Prop Drive Series 35-36A 1400Kv / 550W

NTM Prop Drive Series 35-30A 1400kv / 560w

NTM Prop Drive 35-42 Series 1000KV / 700W

NTM Prop Drive Series 35-48A 1100kv / 640w

All have 4mm shaft Okey I will buy the 4mm folding prop spinner.
But the question is - what motor to buy and what props to use ?
I can get following folding props: 12x7 12x6 11x8 11x6 10x6 9x5x8 9x6 9x5 8x6

I like this motor NTM Prop Drive Series 35-30A 1400kv / 560w because of high KV so I can fly faster + its max current is 41A and @ 12v it gives 420W or 560W on 4s.

There is also this motor NTM Prop Drive 35-42 Series 1000KV / 700W (. Max current is 47A and 450W @ 3s or 700W @ 4s.

Will those two motor fit in the nose of the phoenix ?
What props should I use for both motors?

All in all I would like to go with 1400kv for need for speed, or is 1400kv already to high KV for such a plane ? What horizontal speed can you get with 1000kv motor ?
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:30 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post

Anyway, I kept having problems with the 3530 1100kv NTM, I went through 3 motors as they kept coming down too hot to touch running a 9x6 prop and running a 40amp Plush.

I took some advice off here and installed the 3639 750kv with a 13x7 prop, so now the motor runs stone cold and its pulling near unlimited vertical! I'm loving this glider even more now and off a 1800mah 3s if I actually use the power the whole time (very rarely) I'm still getting great run times.
3s teamsherman? You got to go to 4s and it will come alive!

RoboSerg, it kinda depends what you want to do? Keep it light for thermal or build a bit heavier with max thrust and quick trips to altitude, aerobatics etc. As far as flying fast under motor this model isn't mean't for that. I have let it run, no motor on, down wind in 25km/h plus wind to the point of having no feel from controls, 120-140 km/h, thats about it.

My setup as teamsherman knows is for thrust at about the models balance limits, ie motor weight 140g which puts the 3548 out, unless you wish to add weight on the tail, but it is too strong for the nylon fus anyway, the 3542 is right on the limit. As for higher kv, ask teamsherman what he thought of the ntm motors at 1100 kv?
As you can see even a small prop, a 9x6 was heating them up.
For a lighter set up you could probably stay with a 28 size motor at what 70-80 grams, 250watts, i don't know, someone will say,
It may be worth not limiting yourself to what is only on offer at this time. Wait for teamsherman to run his 3639 750kv on 4s and see what he says.
There are endless combinations of course, but generally speaking you want to swing a large prop that isn't stalling to produce max thrust at the lowest weight drawing the least current and not wasting power producing any heat. Does that help, usually you make concessions somewhere, here I think to gain thrust you add some weight.
Last edited by mustflynow2; Dec 14, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post

is the motor that was heating up the stock setup ? I have only had mine in the air for around 10 minutes but everything was cool to the touch,using a 45 amp esc with 6 amp sbec . So now im wondering if i need to put in some vent holes or what if stock setup is heating up ?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:55 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
I was able to fly my Phoenix Evolution glider for the first time since my big accident. I did a night flight and it went up and handled good. I have to adjust the ailerons some. Getting restricted movement in one because the tape is not letting it move.

Also, I quickly threw on my led lights. I forgot to do the bottom left wing so I was flying with both top wings lighted but only the bottom left wing lighted. With lights running down the fuselage, it sort of looked like a flying "L". It was much harder to maintain orientation and so I did not get very high or far out. I worked on the led lights tonight for about two hours. Hope to have all the lights back on for a Sunday night flight.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Last edited by HoosierGuy; Dec 15, 2012 at 03:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:44 AM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
anyone can help me with my question?
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSerg View Post
anyone can help me with my question?
I just dont have the experience to answer but i would get as close to stock as possible,this thing is so light it just screams with stock motor.also make sure bolt pattern is the same.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,321 Posts
I took her out for a flight today, everything worked great, new esc has brake enabled. solid control rods were good. I noticed the tail (not elevator) is loose at the front edge ? it moves left and right quite a bit,screws are tight it is right at the tip where it sits on fuselage. i put tape on to hold it still today,but going to use glue or something to keep it there has anyone else seen this on theres ? I had the Go pro on my head but guess i didnt get it turned on correctly was very cold and windy !