Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:43 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSerg View Post
peterlngh thanks for extensive answers!

I am now actually thinking between phoenix 2000 OR durafly dynamic-s.
What I like about dynamic-s is that its more durable, has higher quality and just looks cool The downside is 1560mm wingspan vs 2000mm for phoenix.
Price difference isnt that much 78.72USD vs 111USD. Another pro for dynamic-s its available in german warehouse as PNF.

So I woudnt write all this if I didnt want to know your opinion. Does anyone has both of them? Which flies better? Does dynamic-s has really better quality? I cant decide...
Umm, choices? Consider the wing loading, as these are somewhat different planes. I'm in the process of repairing a dynamic for a friend, durable?. You can get lots from both types of plane, but I'd probably consider the phoenix first for a wider range of flight charateristics, and ease of flight.
mustflynow2 is offline Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Last edited by mustflynow2; Dec 08, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,678 Posts
I'm always happy to (hopefully) help, RoboSerg.

Back in the days before modern foam and carbon fiber we had a saying: You can build them to fly or you can build them to survive a crash. If they were built to survive a crash? The chances of crashing go up.

That's less true with foam planes but a heavier plane, like the Dynamic, will lose gliding performance. I don't have direct experience with the Dynamic but, as has been pointed out, it's less of a true sailplane than the Phoenix. Durability is a relative thing. The Dynamic might be a little stronger but it's likely to be moving faster if it hits something. It's really a choice about speed range more than durability.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:49 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,311 Posts
ready for a test fly, although conditions aren't great at the moment, might have to wait a bit, rtf at 910g with 1800 3s.
I'll have a fly before I compare or comment further
No chance for a fly today, gusting up to 30km/h
Last edited by mustflynow2; Dec 09, 2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:53 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,451 Posts
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:26 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,720 Posts
Speechless?

Hey SH, cat got your tongue? Where have you been hiding?

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:57 AM
Россия, Пермский край, город Пермь
Joined Jul 2011
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
Nice maiden ilipin, you have lots of space to fly. Very bleak though. Fpv won out, easier on the eyes? Loved the pan out to the wing! I'm stuck flying mostly in the city.
I may benifit from moving tail servos aft as my set up is heavy and I need to move my batt as far back as possible, could you post some pics of how you positioned your servos if possible? Would like to see. How is your video range? Reckon you could top 2000 ft?
Sorry for late answer.

D05010MG for ele and rud is installed directly into cut out apertures with clue.

You can see also covered with laminating film EPO. Recommended!

Video range is up to 3 km (on my FPVRaptor with same video Tx). May be more, I'm still not tested max range.
ilipin is offline Find More Posts by ilipin
Last edited by ilipin; Dec 09, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Jul 2011
210 Posts
Soon after last post I crashed my Phonex 2000.

It was impacted to the ground and stayed vertical It's happens due I tried to make stuns, and video link unexpectedly down when plane was turned. I seek plane visually, but not catch them in time.

Fortunately, only wings (covered with laminating film 80mic) fastening was lightly broken, not a fuselage, not a prop But I did not find antenna with filter from video Tx. They flied away...

Only today I have completed repair and went to the field.

Phoenix 2000 EPO flight - 2 (6 min 58 sec)

You can see burning of felled trees. These were growing along roads before.

I flied only half hour because -15 С was outside and my foots was frozen. Need to seat inside car to avoid this. But today I flight alone and had to throw plane myself. In result second battery was useless.

FY30A works fine, I didn't reinitialize it before flight in frost. But I want a new FY DOS AP, with RTL and stabilized flight functions.

Problems during the flight:

1. Tx link was unstable after 500m. This is old problem, think due the 900 mHz link without filter, that was loose. Once I catch failsafe, and feel one more brick... I haven't RTL mode on my FY30A. Failsafe only switch off motor and on stabilization.

Think about step up to 5.8 mhz video.

2. Video Rx is not working first 2-3 minutes. Maybe due frost, when equipment heated a little, link up back. I'm not sure, frequency of video Rx was floating.

3. Servos can work at -15C temperature. Only camera pan servo moved very slow.

4. Old and well known problem with altitude on FY 117 OSD (and some other too). After I see all video, decide that it show sea level altitude, with accuracy up to 10 m. Better then nothing

My today setup:
Phoenix 2000 EPO
Wings covered with laminating film 80mic
NTM Drive 28-26 1000KV with stock prop.
FyeTech 30A stabilization unit
FyeTech AP-117 OSD
KX 181H camera with tilt-shift (was overheated and need replace)
4s 2700 mAh battary (12 v BEC for video and tx)
900 Mhz Video Tx
MyFlyDreams ATT
FrSky d8r-II plus Rx
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:12 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilipin View Post
Soon after last post I crashed my Phonex 2000.

It was impacted to the ground and stayed vertical It's happens due I tried to make stuns, and video link unexpectedly down when plane was turned. I seek plane visually, but not catch them in time.

Fortunately, only wings (covered with laminating film 80mic) fastening was lightly broken, not a fuselage, not a prop But I did not find antenna with filter from video Tx. They flied away...

Only today I have completed repair and went to the field.

http://youtu.be/1RkwGW6ndNg

You can see burning of felled trees. These were growing along roads before.

I flied only half hour because -15 С was outside and my foots was frozen. Need to seat inside car to avoid this. But today I flight alone and had to throw plane myself. In result second battery was useless.

FY30A works fine, I didn't reinitialize it before flight in frost. But I want a new FY DOS AP, with RTL and stabilized flight functions.

Problems during the flight:

1. Tx link was unstable after 500m. This is old problem, think due the 900 mHz link without filter, that was loose. Once I catch failsafe, and feel one more brick... I haven't RTL mode on my FY30A. Failsafe only switch off motor and on stabilization.

Think about step up to 5.8 mhz video.

2. Video Rx is not working first 2-3 minutes. Maybe due frost, when equipment heated a little, link up back. I'm not sure, frequency of video Rx was floating.

3. Servos can work at -15C temperature. Only camera pan servo moved very slow.

4. Old and well known problem with altitude on FY 117 OSD (and some other too). After I see all video, decide that it show sea level altitude, with accuracy up to 10 m. Better then nothing

My today setup:
Phoenix 2000 EPO
Wings covered with laminating film 80mic
NTM Drive 28-26 1000KV with stock prop.
FyeTech 30A stabilization unit
FyeTech AP-117 OSD
KX 181H camera with tilt-shift (was overheated and need replace)
4s 2700 mAh battary (12 v BEC for video and tx)
900 Mhz Video Tx
MyFlyDreams ATT
FrSky d8r-II plus Rx
Wow sure glad you was able to fix it after crashing ! Nice video ! Looks very cold !!
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:22 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,311 Posts
Thanks for the pics ilipin. -15c too cold for me! Will be looking at some 40c plus days over summer here and won't be standing out in the field flying in those conditions either.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:36 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,330 Posts
video

So here are two videos from today, temp is 20deg F. wind around 15mph on ground way more in air First video,i was just floating and wind grabbed her she stalled and fell,no damage as i was close to earth when she stalled.Second video is better bt man the wind wanted to just play havoc with her I really like this plane with the long wings, it floats great,is very stable,and even with those long wings is very fast ! Never got over half throttle and at one point was just sitting still in the wind. I have different esc coming as i cant get break enabled on this one.click on the quality go to HD and full screen. when i upload to utube everything looks way farther out than it does on original video ??
Phoenix 2000 (2 min 23 sec)

Second video coming up, just checked it for damage after stall out, and launched it again.

phoenix 2000-2 (3 min 9 sec)
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Last edited by fastfwd; Dec 09, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:46 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,311 Posts
Quote:

What I like about dynamic-s is that its more durable, has higher quality and just looks cool The downside is 1560mm wingspan vs 2000mm for phoenix.
Price difference isnt that much 78.72USD vs 111USD. Another pro for dynamic-s its available in german warehouse as PNF.

So I woudnt write all this if I didnt want to know your opinion. Does anyone has both of them? Which flies better? Does dynamic-s has really better quality? I cant decide...
Flew the dynamic this morning in windy conditions. My opion for what it is, is that it doesn't carry enough energy, it needs to fly quick but won't, more ballist and it will sink quicker, requiring quicker air speed. One dramatic stall, luckily high enough to save. So next time around I didn't rely on the glide enertia but powered on through the turn, penetrating up wind was a chore too. I have a 500g e-hawk that would cut through better, not to mention a 1.8kg composite model that eats it up.
The repaired thrust line seemed good, cg good, elev/rudder trim neutral, but the main wing is not stiff at all, it twists easily, and this one is out somewhat as ail trim required, quite a bit. They use a silicon rubber type adhesive to glue all round which allows everything to flex?
Powertrain...too much torque for the foam and plastic interface, even with my very stiff epoxy cloth/ carbon repair. I propped down a bit. Measured 1500g thrust stock,12x6.5, flew at about 1300g thrust, 11x8, power in the 250-300 watt area. My phoenix flys with 550-600 watts, no prob.
More durable, I doubt anything is more durable than the nylon phoenix fus. Cool looks, maybe but if you flew this plane as fastfwd did in his video (as we are all able to do with the phoenix) it would drop out of the sky, and it's biggest prob as I said is that it won't fly fast enough to not drop out of the sky, esp in corners. I got it to half whistle past me once down wind but it would not keep its air speed in the corner, composite for me for this type of plane, stiffer and able to handle more power. Check out the multiplex blizzard, it may be of higher quality, but I have heard it has its probs too.
So back to the phoenix, nice vid fastfwd, keep your airspeed up there. Look forward to your next vid. BP

There is a thread here if you really want to go for it, the blaze is the same?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1194905
Last edited by mustflynow2; Dec 09, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Jul 2011
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
Thanks for the pics ilipin. -15c too cold for me! Will be looking at some 40c plus days over summer here and won't be standing out in the field flying in those conditions either.
If no wind, and sunny outside -15C is OK. I need to put on thicker shoes. But with it driving car becomes harder

In winter do not use a goggles like Fatshark. Rubber eyecups will froze you skin near eyes. Simple monitor is enough.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:14 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
662 Posts
Quote:

Does anyone has both of them? Which flies better? Does dynamic-s has really better quality? I cant decide...
I have both. They are completely different animals. Birds, hopefully. The dynamic S they call a 'warmliner', and the supplied motor & ESC move it along quite briskly. Not anywhere near a hotliner speed, but you still have to be on your toes at all times. It's not very relaxing flying it, imho. With the motor off, it flies like a brick. Well, not that bad, but you need to constantly be on the throttle lever varying the power. It stalls quite easily when you slow it down for landing, so you need to keep the speed up. You WILL overshoot lots of landings.

The P2K is quite relaxing to fly, and somewhat difficult to fly well. I prefer it because I like the challenge of staying aloft with nothing other than the sun heating the earth in different amounts. Can be quite challenging. The strongest thermals I've ever experienced have been in the winter, with a thin layer of snow cover on the ground. As it melts in places, the dark colored earth warms up, while the snow cover just reflects the sun and doesn't heat up. I've been in boomers in the winter. The nice thing is they're not that big, so you can fly out of them easily, unlike the boomer thermals in the summer where the entire sky seems to be headed towards the heavens.

So, I guess it depends what you're looking for. A sailplane or a warmliner. Completely different flying.

--
Greg
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:03 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,311 Posts
Hey greg, what are your thoughts on the build up of the d-s? Esp the wing, the one I have here is not stiff at all and somewhat out of whack. It only had a couple of flights before it was crashed. That rubbery cement, I don't know about that, for mine foam is really the wrong material for this kind of plane right from the start, sure it flys but if you have flown anything at speed with a lively locked in feel and responsive touch then you will hate this? My phoenix which is overpowered to kind of fly like the dynamic should, does much better, I can get it to really move along and although it slows up it is much more manageable. I guess they are both $100 planes and that is where it begins and ends really, so plane for dollar I reckon you do a bit better with the phoenix.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:08 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilipin View Post
If no wind, and sunny outside -15C is OK. I need to put on thicker shoes. But with it driving car becomes harder

In winter do not use a goggles like Fatshark. Rubber eyecups will froze you skin near eyes. Simple monitor is enough.
Ouch! Frozen eye balls! you are a brave man doing fpv. Have you flown any faster planes fpv. i have seen some great video of people flying through trees having to dodge branches and react at the last minute, it looks great?