SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:23 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,239 Posts
refer post 2382

ok , so some numbers for my set up from post 2382. ecalc state + or - 10% accuracy and no data guarenteed. their numbers are better than what I am getting static, but the real test will be in flight, which I will do when I can, hopefully in the next couple of days. the amp draw from ecalc looks worrying but in fact it is not at all. everything stays cool and I have had many flights, it is not quite 2:1 power to weight but it will go straight up, slowly?, it all depends on what you are used to. I feel it is a good powerful set up for this particual plane, for windier conditions with consideration to the strength of the plastic firewall, cg balance (only just mind you) and giving a reasonable flight time with low amp draw and good thrust for aerobatics. It is not the lightest for thermalling, and I rarely come across good lift conditions, so for me in mostly windier conditions up to 20km/h it hits the mark. If anyone gives it a go I don't think you will be disappointed. I'll post some inflight data soon.
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:29 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
510 Posts
Anyone know where I can buy just the fuse?

I seriously lawn-darted my P2K last Saturday thanks to an overloaded Turnigy BEC (which I wired separately from ESC). The ones that have a big 5A label but are only 3A constant. Yea... Wish I would have payed better attention

The nose is now all screwed up and shoved into the fuse plus fuse split in front of canopy on top. I may be able to repair it, but might be best to just get a new fuse if available.

Wings sort of survived and can be repaired. I'm actually surprised there wasn't more damage actually. It impacted to hard that I saw a cloud of smoke rise up and figured the battery exploded but it was dust not smoke.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:07 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Oh man, I feel your pain, I love my PK2

I once plugged the AILERONS into the FLAPS at the start of the day and did not fly it until later on.
When it came to flying it later on for some reason I did not do pre-flight surface checks.

Well after launch I didn't know why I could not control and span it to the ground.
Luckily due to early loss of control it never got that high and killed the power, so the damage was was not too bad.

But I learnt a BIG lesson, I also check surface movements even if I'd just flown a plane 10 minutes earlier.

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:19 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Aug 2012
16 Posts
Spare parts - I have had great support from www.Throttlestore.com
http://www.throttlestore.com/spare_p...0.aspx?lang=EN
Very quick turn around and prices appear ok.

Cheers
SarjeNZ is offline Find More Posts by SarjeNZ
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:38 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosglider View Post
Anyone know where I can buy just the fuse?

I seriously lawn-darted my P2K last Saturday thanks to an overloaded Turnigy BEC (which I wired separately from ESC). The ones that have a big 5A label but are only 3A constant. Yea... Wish I would have payed better attention

I think that's the BEC I use in my Phoenix Evolution. How did you overload it?
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:23 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hi, Teamsherman.

I haven't heard of setting the brake causing an ESC to burn out or make the motor run goofy. Is it possible that you inadvertently changed the timing (number of poles) when you set your brake?

HoosierGuy, If I recall correctly it sounded like you ran into a cooling problem with your ESC.
No cause on my programming card it has the timing setting too. So with the 3530 1100kv and a 40amp ESC spinning a 10x6 folding prop what should the timing be?

I'll try the setup today without braking and see if it gets as hot as it does with the braking on.
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:54 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,239 Posts
flight results

461m that's about 1500ft isn't it?
it was about 7.30pm est in Torquay vic and although clear getting quite cool. probably 15 degrees with a nice southerly maybe 5-10km/h.
when I look back at the altitude graph for this 11 min flight I see a constant fall esp at the higher altitude. I did pretty well around 250-300 meters for a bit, up higher it was hard to see. the graph shows no lift, really need to do this in the middle of the day when the temp is up
this run was my second on this battery so I had used the burst current, but I felt it didn't really deliver, and why would you expext it too, cheap turnigy 20c
well it's a perfet day down here at the beach, I am going flying!

TS I would not fly with a fanning prop, no brake, you should be as confident with your set up on the ground, a crash is the last thing you want. good luck
Last edited by mustflynow2; Nov 11, 2012 at 04:06 AM. Reason: addition of graph
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:35 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
mustflynow2,

What the heck is that device in the pictures, where did you get it and what did cost?
B!ILL! is interested!!

As I fly the little Mini Swift's so high no one can see them and they wonder how the heck I can see it, I just don't don't tell the truth that I can only JUST see it myself.
I'd be interest in finding out high high I'm going and how much I'm breaking our 400ft rule by!!

-B!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:32 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
829 Posts
Meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
mustflynow2,

What the heck is that device in the pictures, where did you get it and what did cost?
B!ILL! is interested!!

As I fly the little Mini Swift's so high no one can see them and they wonder how the heck I can see it, I just don't don't tell the truth that I can only JUST see it myself.
I'd be interest in finding out high high I'm going and how much I'm breaking our 400ft rule by!!

-B!
Bill, looks like here
http://www.hyperion.hk/dn/em2/
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:38 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for the link, very interesting device - Bill, likes!!
(But I'm yet to fully suss it out and the important thing (to me) find the price!)

-B!LL!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:20 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
mustflynow2,

B!ILL! is interested!!

-B!
Hey bill, yeah it's the hyperion unit. I think this will probably be the best price you will find through Dave at Hyperion here in Melb, I may be wrong but it is the best I have seen, and where I bought mine from.

http://www.hyperionaustralia.com.au/?stg=274&view=274

It may seem expencive, but when the planes start getting expencive and the drive trains powerful and you push things to the limit, I think it is cheap insurance on the ground to check things before flight. The altimeter is lots of fun but the RDU (remote data unit) is quite bulky and may not suit some planes, ie mini swift. There are other small altimeters, the ram3 is one that comes to mind, but expencive, eagletree? I have not used it. How about the hk one?

Here is a rc groups thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1175267

Depends where you want to go with it all I guess, what your application is.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:50 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Yeah, even though the device does some amazing stuff, it's a bit out of my price range at the moment (I need not bore you with the details), I might wait until HK come up with something.

I know there are devices that show how high the plane went with some type of Morse code on LEDS once it lands. Will have to check that out at a later date.
Other things are more important at this stage anyway - other detail I need not bore anyone with.

At this stage I'm trying to learn to fly and understand that EDF planes fly differently to 'normal' propeller planes and that EDF's can be more like flying bricks and the power always needs to kept up to them, as they are NOT gliders! - something like that anyway.

My second attempt to fly my flying brick A-10 (not so a brick now I put the correct battery in it) was canned today because of the high/gusting wind, but I had wonderful time with the P2K (which cut through the wind like it wasn't there! -heh-heh), Bixler and Mini-Swift (which I crashed, dunno what happened, think I just got too slap happy and lost orientation- doh!

-BILL!

(If I got any video of Phoenix on the #16 cam on cap, I'll post it later on, but I think I ran battery flat early in day after turning it on and forgetting about it!)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:09 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,239 Posts
I have one edf out of a dozen planes I s'pose, the stinger 64mm, I like it but I'm not crazy about jets, it's fun cos it's fastish? But it is not like a throw around glider like the phoenix that can be really relaxing and easy to fly. Good luck with the A-10, two fans are better than one right?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:38 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,989 Posts
Bill. how about this standalone altimeter?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/V4-Altimet...item41692d4e01
Only 4 grams so even your little Mini Swift will not notice the extra weight & you can check the height at the field
This ones even lighter but you need to plug it into a computer to read the values
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Fe_MtAod3DgAFw
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:17 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Andy, Thanks for tips, I've actually got the HK Altimeter thing on my wish list and might in fact get it in my next order. But I'm rather pi$$ed off with them (Hobby King) at the moment because some up-himself-jonny-come-lately MOD banned me from the forum.

I should have have taken the an Admin job 3 years ago when Ron offered to me before he unfortunately beat me to dying from cancer - I got cancer 2 years before him and I'm still going, not so strong, but I'm chugging alone, hopefully it continue for a quite a few more years!!

Thanks again,
-B!LL!