HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:50 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Couple of nice rolls and loops there MUSTFLYNOW2!
Where was the camera mounted, close the fuselage on the leading edge of of the right wing? - I would have move it out an inch or two. Dunno.
-B!LL!
how about from the horizontal stab. looks a bit odd hey, this camera has s'posedly got a 120 degree lens ? oh and yes I did remember to adjust my batt for cg, no disarster there, couldn't believe how far forward it came, ok just weighed camera at 32grams

phoenix tail 2 (1 min 3 sec)
mustflynow2 is offline Find More Posts by mustflynow2
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:06 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,359 Posts
here's another, grey skys over melbourne for cup day. HoosierGuy, hope to see some bright lights on your plane, you got a camera?

phoenix 2000 1 (0 min 51 sec)
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:24 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,360 Posts
My Phoenix was "partly" responsible for the loss of a flying wing last sunday..

We have been without sloping for 2 weeks and have 2 more bad weekends to go.. so sunday gave a break , wind blowing into the good slope so there we went .. i took my beloved Ninja and the Phoenix as the usual backup.. wich was a good idea sicne the wind was weird and the Ninja didnt got any flight time..

anyway.. after the sun set and enjoying the last minutes of light i was soaring just fair enought to fly (not much lift) with the Phoenix.. one guy tought if the Phoenix can fly his wing should too (it has lower wing loading) .. he lanches and his wing felt down almost flat into the abyss .. so far its missing ..

Its weird... the Phoenix could hang there with no problem (and not much energy either but fair enought to slope without troubles) but the wing felt flat..

Also i think i should add more aileron diferential to one of the sides.. with outter ailerons sometimes i think im getting adverse yaw .. and i allready dialed like 20% diferential..
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR 250 CloneOut FPV
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:32 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
It's 40 degrees (F) outside. Kind of cool. I will try fly tomorrow hopefully.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:04 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
So I decided to try it tonight but it was drizzling rain a little. I flew to my brothers home where I fly but the drizzle rain did not stop. I'll try tomorrow. I can't wait to try out this new 60 amp esc.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:33 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Hi folks,

I've been happily using a 35-30 1100kv Prop drive with a 40amp plush along with a 10x6 folding prop for a few months now but after a wet grass landing my motor wouldn't spin up to full throttle so I bought a new motor and that's doing it too. I have tried a few different ESC's aswell with no luck and I get the same result.

Can anyone identify with the problem or better yet recommend a better motor/ESC/prop combo? I'd like to solve it as I've just started catching thermals and am quite enjoying this plane.
Hi guys,

I just realised all this drama with my motors over heating and not running too well only started after I activated brake setting on the ESC, is there any way I can stop the prop from spinning in glide without brake setting?
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:25 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Hi guys,

I just realised all this drama with my motors over heating and not running too well only started after I activated brake setting on the ESC, is there any way I can stop the prop from spinning in glide without brake setting?

That's an interesting problem. What ESCs are you using? I've been using brake settings on my ESCs too. My last ESC burned up. I wonder if the brake setting contributed to that. If I don't use brake settings then my prop free spins when the motor is off.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Hi, Teamsherman.

I haven't heard of setting the brake causing an ESC to burn out or make the motor run goofy. Is it possible that you inadvertently changed the timing (number of poles) when you set your brake?

HoosierGuy, If I recall correctly it sounded like you ran into a cooling problem with your ESC.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
I'm back from a night flight! All went well! My new 60 amp ESC held up well. I think I flew for around ten minutes or so. I did not have the motor on all the time. I would climb and cut the motor and glide around some and repeat. After I landed I touched the motor and it was warm but not hot at all, only warm. I tried touching the ESC (it is under the battery tray and it felt warm but not hot. I did touch the bottom of the fuselage right under the ESC and it was not warm or hot either. My flight battery was slightly warm and the small 800mah 3 cell powering my lights was warm but not hot.

It flew nice. I drilled out the two air vents on the nose of the fuselage (I had them covered up with fiberglass) so I think that helped with the cooling. Plus it was around 40 degrees out tonight.

All in all a successful flight.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:14 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
I'm wondering - what kind of motor and ESC would I need if I wanted to run the motor constantly, say at 40% throttle, for the entire flight, say five or six minutes? Right now I'm using the Turnigy 2836 motor with a 9x6 folding prop and 60 amp ESC.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:54 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,359 Posts
Why do you wish to do that HG? What is the kv of you 2836, is it one of the red motors? 1000 or 1200kv?
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:21 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
Why do you wish to do that HG? What is the kv of you 2836, is it one of the red motors? 1000 or 1200kv?

1000kv. Yes, one of the red motors. I simply want to push things with this electric glider. More and more power. Want to do more and more things with it. I've conquered day flight and night flying. I've not been above 1000 feet yet and that is a big goal I want to achieve too.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:23 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
I'm wondering - what kind of motor and ESC would I need if I wanted to run the motor constantly, say at 40% throttle, for the entire flight, say five or six minutes? Right now I'm using the Turnigy 2836 motor with a 9x6 folding prop and 60 amp ESC.
errr your current motor setup can allready do that
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR 250 CloneOut FPV
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:07 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
1000kv. Yes, one of the red motors. I simply want to push things with this electric glider. More and more power. Want to do more and more things with it. I've conquered day flight and night flying. I've not been above 1000 feet yet and that is a big goal I want to achieve too.
Awesome, I have been that high, maybe 350m is my limit, things start to get small. Have you used ecalc or similar calculator? I use the calc to give you an idea and then static test and finally fly to confirm. Well what do you think? I like the efficiency of your set up. You are using 3s yes? Not too crazy about the thrust though, and that is what you want to achieve. Your amp draw is well within your motors capabilities and the 60amp esc is a bit of overkill at this stage. Sure you can get to 1000 feet but it will take some time. How does the plane climb out of your hand? Straight up? 45 degrees?
I'll do a static test of mine tomorrow and compare, getting late
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:53 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
No, I've not used the ecalc program. I don't know how.

Yep, I use a 3 cell. As for launching out of the hand. It does not go straight up vertical but I think it climbs nicely. The stock motor and prop would take off from my hand like it was on rails. This new motor and prop I'm using is almost as good as the stock motor/prop but I would not say it exactly takes off like it's on rails. Almost but not a 100%. I'm sure I could get to 1000 feet within a minute or less with my new motor/prop.

I'm sort of hesitant to try for 1000 feet. My first attempt early in summer, I reached 996 feet but when coming down I lost orientation and crashed nose first. Horrible feeling to see it dive into the ground.
Last edited by HoosierGuy; Nov 08, 2012 at 04:00 PM.