HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:05 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
Do you guys mind if I ask why you use open9x? I have been using er9x for a while and love it. Just wondering what other programs offer some benefits my new glider is scheduled to arrive today from the postie!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:10 PM
Finland, Pirkanmaa, Siuro
Joined Aug 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post
Do you guys mind if I ask why you use open9x? I have been using er9x for a while and love it. Just wondering what other programs offer some benefits my new glider is scheduled to arrive today from the postie!
My reason was mostly delayed flight phases, making life easier when creating different profiles for every flight phase. Enabling also delays, so going one mode to another doesn't throw flaps/ail/elev/throttle (or any other channel) from 0 to 100 in 0ms, but more nice manner with 0.5 - x seconds transition (1 sec on my current config).

Also companion9x has better options over eepe on configuration.
ssulti is offline Find More Posts by ssulti
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:14 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Almost 2 years on... Do you think maybe a small change to the thread title is needed?
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:43 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
513 Posts
I know the recommendation is the proverbial 2836 1100kv from HK, but do you guys think this motor (700Kv) might be too much for the P2K?
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...ess-motor.html

I was thinking of maybe running an 11x8 prop on it to get it to altitude quick.
eosglider is online now Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Hi, eosglider.

If you look closely you will see that it's a 35mm outside diameter which would be difficult to fit.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:59 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
Thanks ssulti! I will take your info into consideration when I upgrade my firmware again.

On that note, I just got my phoenix It looks fantastic! Cant wait to fly this thing tomorrow. Is the COG in the manual dead on or is there something you guys find better?
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:09 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
I put my new blinking led lights (from Hobbyking) on my glider this evening. I can't wait to fly it Saturday or Sunday night! I love night flying my Phoenix Evolution!
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:01 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post
It has been many months now since I have taken a close look at er9x, and things may have improved in this time bringing it closer to the open9x level. Back then I tried gruvin9x, and er9x before settling on open9x. Aside from the extra features, extra support, frequent updates, and prompt bug fixes, everything just felt like it was done nicer and with a little more thought. Also, as I was mainly flying the Phoenix at the time, I found it more 'Glider centric'. The better Audio and Vario support was a bonus too. The Companion9x software is equally well thought out, developed, and supported. Companion9x supports all firmwares so it is very easy to try open9x and then quickly switch back again.
maca55 is offline Find More Posts by maca55
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:00 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosglider View Post
I know the recommendation is the proverbial 2836 1100kv from HK, but do you guys think this motor (700Kv) might be too much for the P2K?
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...ess-motor.html

I was thinking of maybe running an 11x8 prop on it to get it to altitude quick.
Hell no, that motor looks fine, i use the 3639 750kv from hk with 2200 4s only 20c with 13x9 and 13x6.5, which is a bit more economical. It weighs 140grams so I needed to remove the battery tray and place batt on fuz floor as far back as possible against servo mount. It is great to blast up and rush down. Your motor is a tad lighter 100grams so you should get a better cg range

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_750kv.html

My esc is a plush 40amp and i think i draw around 30-35 wide open. Auw is around, can't remember 1200-1300grams does that sound about right. It is great in a bit of wind, and can get long flight with the wind but when it is still it will sink.

I use, similar to supplied, if I recall a thin piece of steel on the outside of fuse amd 4mm ply on the inside to support motor, haven't glued, just sandwich with mounting bolts to motor. Don't think much sticks to that fus anyway. Have 3 seperate motor pattern holes in fuze so if I wish to change out motors, ie lighter set up it is easy, but this is my favourite.

Wings flap about a bit, but they have stood up, extra weight to dive is nice but I wouldn't push it coming out of a dive. A nice light spinner is ideal too. Good luck, it has been a great aerobatic plane with this set up
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:40 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,357 Posts
Magpie vs Phoenix

maggie at chaddy (1 min 34 sec)
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:28 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
I fly about 2km from that spot! It looks like you have a bit more room which is nice!

Hehehe yeah the Maggies are really aggressive this time of year aren't they! I have the same issues flying my Phoenix at the moment. I'm always worried I'm going to dice one up in the prop though - you have to be careful.

I was flying my little Mini-Swift recently and the contest between me and the Magpie was quite evenly matched! He even managed to knocked me out of the sky a few times and I broke a few props - but it was a fun contest.
maca55 is offline Find More Posts by maca55
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:10 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maca55 View Post
I fly about 2km from that spot! It looks like you have a bit more room which is nice!

Hehehe yeah the Maggies are really aggressive this time of year aren't they! I have the same issues flying my Phoenix at the moment. I'm always worried I'm going to dice one up in the prop though - you have to be careful.

I was flying my little Mini-Swift recently and the contest between me and the Magpie was quite evenly matched! He even managed to knocked me out of the sky a few times and I broke a few props - but it was a fun contest.
The kinetic is my fav for magpie harassment. Grew up in the country so have had my share of magpie torture, I guess I am scarred physchologically!
Been knocked out of the sky too, but have never hurt a bird. This particual one is swooping you as you arrive and get the plane out of the car!

Used to fly at wattle park in box hill south, which was a great quiet spot, but the cricket curator who mows the ground couldn't cope and call parks victoria who moved us on. What can you do?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:53 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
513 Posts
I finally gave in and purchased the 2836 1000kv from Josh Alexander here on RCG:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1746621
He has one more left if any of you are interested. $20 shipped form the Bay area in CA.

I also ordered a 10x6 folder prop, 44mm alum. spinner and a Plush 40A ESC from HK. Hope that package doesn't take too long to get here.
eosglider is online now Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:59 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosglider View Post
I finally gave in and purchased the 2836 1000kv from Josh Alexander here on RCG:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1746621
He has one more left if any of you are interested. $20 shipped form the Bay area in CA.

I also ordered a 10x6 folder prop, 44mm alum. spinner and a Plush 40A ESC from HK. Hope that package doesn't take too long to get here.
um i bought one of those sinners once upon a time, they are quite heavy, I would not advise using it, I use the ty1 spinners for cheaper planes like this

http://www.ty1.com.tw/7615.html

big high torque low kv outrunner moving large prop is the way to go, think your other option might have been better, good luck though
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:14 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Flew my glider with my new blinking led lights tonight. It was a little windy (maybe a lot windy). I got my glider up and it would hardly move because of the heavy wind. Well, I could control it but it was also hazy. After five minutes of flying I was flying it towards me and I heard something POP, then I lost power. I could control the servos tho (I have a voltage regulator in it luckily). So I landed it with no motor power. Got it on the ground safely. I could then smell something very strong. It was either the motor or ESC or voltage regulator. So I got home and tried another ESC and my motor still works.

So my 40amp Mystery ESC is toast! Actually, I'm glad it's the ESC and not the motor or prop. I've had so much trouble finding the right motor and prop I'm glad it's something else. So what do I do know? Get a bigger ESE? 60amp?

I had all my lights running off another battery. Also a voltage regulator was powering the receiver and servos. The only difference is that I had my new blinking led lights plugged into the receiver but powered by the battery powering the other leds, not the flight battery.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy