HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:05 PM
Sneaky Lizard
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2005
73 Posts
ESC and Motor seem to be a big issue with this glider and almost everyone reccomends replacing them. Is this due to poor quality? has anyone installed a BEC with the original esc and motor? any improvemet?
elbone65 is offline Find More Posts by elbone65
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:16 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ruislip
Joined Mar 2007
110 Posts
I know of a couple of guys who have installed 5A UBECs when they add the extra flap servos, the feeling is the standard ESC with the PnP version couldn't handle the load of 6 servos.

As for the standard of equipment, its what I expect in this price bracket, but having said that I have clocked up several hours of flights now all with the standard setup and with no complaints beyond the rudder hinge issue.

I fly from Slopes though, so the motor only ever gets 15-20 second runs if I get out of the lift.
rk295 is offline Find More Posts by rk295
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:02 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk295 View Post
I know of a couple of guys who have installed 5A UBECs when they add the extra flap servos, the feeling is the standard ESC with the PnP version couldn't handle the load of 6 servos.
I added a 5A UBec, despite me buying the kit version without electronics and using a Turnigy Plush 30A wich is a quite reliable ESC.. it has a 2A built in BEC wich is also linear .. meaning the more power it handles and has to deliver the more hot it gets.. 9g servos are usually spec to have peaks of arround 500mA in max stalling situations... 6 servos X 500mA = up to 3A of theorical current peak.. and the built in BECs in the basic ESCs when going over this limit can heat a lot or even lock or switch off .. the max recomended for 2A built in ESCs are usually 4 9g servos ..
Since my Phoenix has 6 servos and i use for example full wingspan ailerons (4 servos working as ailerons) you can use all 6 at once if for example doing a barrell roll.. and tought is hard to max all 6 servos at once i prefered to be on save side..

Also using an external UBec has added beneficts... it frees the ESC from the BEC part wich being linear heats quite a lot in use so it runs cooler ..and even if the main ESC burns plane still has control (unless of course you have a fire)

Still Murphy's law is at play here so dont believe it gives total added security..

Last saturday i had an anoying incident wich can be considered inmensely good luck.. i took the Phoenix to the slope as wind was quite weird and i got out first since having motor means an insurance in case the slope doesnt want to cooperate.. flew 30m (also recording video) and land.. im preparing to go out again and when i plug a lighter battery ESC doesnt arm and begind beeping like there is no radio.. radio was on so i pick the battery connector and then ESC arms.. and when i let go of it begins beeping again..

Somewhere after the last landing (wich wasnt hard at all) the UBec cable broke internally (Hobbyking 5 UBecs wires are insultingly thin).. it was on/off contact depending on main battery conector's orientation (i have 2 wires from each pole in the batt plug.. one set for ESC and other for UBEC) ..

Simply put if i had hold the connector diferently it would had armed ok but probably would had switched off after launching or some roll or air pocket turbulence and plane would had crash... probably in the sea..

moral?: Having an UBec is pointless if its wires are not totally ok..
One interesting setup would be using a commutator switch and pluging to it both ESC and UBec 5V lines.. it would only use the UBec but if it dies it would switch to ESC automatically.. problem is that you cant know until landing ..
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:35 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbone65 View Post
ESC and Motor seem to be a big issue with this glider and almost everyone reccomends replacing them. Is this due to poor quality? has anyone installed a BEC with the original esc and motor? any improvemet?
I initially flew the stock motor and ESC and had no issues, but I added a 5A UBEC when I added the Flap servos.

I'm on a budget and am not one for scrapping working components, especially on a sub $100 PNF model. Higher quality motor/ESC combos will cost 50% or more off the value of the whole PNF.

When I start to have troubles, I will change the motor/ESC. I now have 100 flights in there are no issues yet - apart from the well posted fact that the motor WILL get hot if you run it for too long.

Call me weird, but I kind of like this 'issue' and consider it a 'feature' that challenges you you to improve your soaring and thermal-ling skills to allow the motor enough time to cool after each climb!
maca55 is offline Find More Posts by maca55
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:39 AM
Crash proof pilot
Svizzera, TI, Bellinzona
Joined Oct 2005
380 Posts
I have added a blog with the process of making a fiberglass canopy for the Phoenix 2000, in case someone is interested :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1740147

Dave
FlyDave is offline Find More Posts by FlyDave
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Just got back from my second flight with led lights. It was not dark at all though. Thought the sun would go down quicker but it seemed to stay up longer. lol. Anyway, here is what the top of my glider looks like. I didn't get any flight video though. No one wanted to hold the camera while I flew it.

Lanyu Phoenix Evolution with LED Lights (0 min 33 sec)
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:06 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,367 Posts
Oh by the way.. the rudde mod (using 3 hinges, one of them in the fuselage) worked ..

Its not spectacular bur it had more rudder control now.. the day i flew it it was a weird day (wind in the slope , good orientation , good speed but no lift at all for some reason) so couldnt do much test but the Phoenix was able now to turn with the rudder .... most of the time ... at least it responds more than before as stock it has a rudder turning circle similar to a supertanker or an Olympic class liner
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:00 AM
Luv 2 Fly
Joined Sep 2012
17 Posts
Phoenix glider is really cool ... I just ordered a Calypso and a Walrus from Hobby King the last one what do you guys think of these Gliders ?
Randy Trotter is offline Find More Posts by Randy Trotter
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:08 AM
Luv 2 Fly
Joined Sep 2012
17 Posts
I really like my SKY SURFER from blitzworks i put 10 hours on it already and just got it a couple months ago
Randy Trotter is offline Find More Posts by Randy Trotter
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:33 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
So my Phoenix Evolution with LEDs looks more like a flying cross than a UFO. Tonight was the first night I flew it well past sunset. It turned out great! I could easily see when I banked it left and right, even just a little bit of banking. I actually could have gone higher than I did but I was taking it easy since this was my first flight in near total darkness (moon is out a little and a few lights from a town down the road). I could have gone further out too but my plane glowed and glowed!
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:53 AM
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
OK so I am reading a ton of mixed things lol. Is the stock motor going to be a major issue? I am ordering from the U.S. warehouse but just curious as to whether or not I should snag an extra motor. Soo many pages to read lol
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:23 AM
Joined May 2010
71 Posts
stock motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post
OK so I am reading a ton of mixed things lol. Is the stock motor going to be a major issue? I am ordering from the U.S. warehouse but just curious as to whether or not I should snag an extra motor. Soo many pages to read lol
hey cloudflying I also ordered from the usa awhile ago and I am still flying the stock motor. I am using a 3cell LIFE though and the slightly less voltage flies the glider fine and i think helps to not push the motor to hard. The extra weight doesn't affect performance at all. I thought the same exact thing as you before I ordered mine, very confusing. Good luck
Jeebs77 is offline Find More Posts by Jeebs77
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:21 AM
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs77 View Post
hey cloudflying I also ordered from the usa awhile ago and I am still flying the stock motor. I am using a 3cell LIFE though and the slightly less voltage flies the glider fine and i think helps to not push the motor to hard. The extra weight doesn't affect performance at all. I thought the same exact thing as you before I ordered mine, very confusing. Good luck
Hey Thanks Jeebs! I am going to do some testing when it arrives. Ordered it yesterday and should be here in 5-6 days. Cant wait! Ill be trying out a few different lipos and I even have a couple 1500mah LIFE packs but have never used those for anything other than transmitter. Really excited for this one
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:40 AM
Finland, Pirkanmaa, Siuro
Joined Aug 2012
15 Posts
Hello from Finland.

Adding my thoughts and feelings about this glider.

After 7 or 8 flights and after one crash I have to say that this glider is suitable for (almost) beginners... I have had only one glider before - Nine Eagles SkyRunner and upgraded to Phoenix 2000. Ok, I have had helis over year and some quads also, so I'm not an total beginner on RC, but...

First flight was an shocking experience (lasted barely 5 minutes), D/R and throws were way too big, almost crashed it, several times got it pointing upwards and stalling. Saved and got it down without any brakes or flaps. Second fligh was easy flying, but used motor quite much - no problems with heat nor ESC problems.

Third flight, ended to an disaster almost ending my glider hobby. On landing, butterfly deployed, roughly 1-2 feet from ground slight breeze lifted left wing causing right to touch softly to (gravel) ground - nose to ground and engine got busted - axle snapped. Ordered new (eMax GT2218/11 250W) engine and fixed rear bolt hole from right wing (ripped off, hot glue).

Stock config was upgraded by local dealer; some non-brand engine - not same what HK has and Riccs ESC (30A, 3A BEC). No problems with it, but going to add 5V/3A BEC to feed radio & telemetry (9X, Open9X, FrSky) gear on board. Wing servos are connected using single 6 pin connector; MPX Connector (http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc...r-215p5562.htm ), makes my life easier...

Using 4-channel wing config with delayed flying phases. I'll share open9x config if someone want's to give it a try, just send an PM.

Channels:
1. Left AIL
2. Left Flap
3. Right Flap
4. Right AIL
5. Elev
6. Rud
7. Throttle

Yesterday flying, the best moments. Location; Siuro (City Of Nokia), Finland. Weather: almost 0m/s wind.

On The Skies (3 min 5 sec)
ssulti is offline Find More Posts by ssulti
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:48 PM
Brian, Southern Oregon
United States, OR, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2001
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
I understand from the HK listing that this has a blow-moulded (in other words, thermo-) plastic fuse, not fiberglass. That means it could be something like the old "Duralene" fuses, and if so, there will be precious little that will stick to it...
A very good point!!!
DocMac is offline Find More Posts by DocMac