HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined May 2010
31 Posts
Modifications

Hello everybody
Does anyone have try to change ailerons rudder or elevator with balsa ones.
Does this help the manoeuvrability of the glider?
thks
BP1011 is offline Find More Posts by BP1011
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:13 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Aug 2012
16 Posts
Recently had a 'Tulip planting' session...and now need some new bits for my Lanyu Phoenix Evolution. Can you please recommend some places that I can buy spare parts from? I have found

www.throttlestore.com

But was hoping that there may be other locations in NZ, Australia, or Asia.

Cheers
SarjeNZ is offline Find More Posts by SarjeNZ
Last edited by SarjeNZ; Sep 01, 2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Fat fingers...really bad spelling :)
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:25 PM
windyhill
United States, OR, Ione
Joined Jan 2009
93 Posts
leave it stock

Since the begining of this thread everyone has seemed to highly modify everyhing and i have left mine stock and it flys awsome just the way it came and was designed for. I have a futaba 7c and programed the ailerons and rudder togather, and added the flaps/spoilers on my rotating knob. I gave the ailorons 40% differancial and hooked the rudder to the far inside hole to give full throw , used the stock cg with a 1500 battery. I have had it up out of sight in some boomer thermals and take it from me it flyes as good as my e bird of time arf and my e olympic 2. With this combo it turnes flat on a dime so it will not loose any altitude in a turn and stayes in the core of the thermal. The other day i had a giant boomer of about a 1/4 mile wide and it went up out of sight and was a speck so i lost sight of it and put on the flaps and pushed the stick left and back it came like a rock in a spin ,let loose of the stick and nutralized the spoilers and it leveled out on it's own and i brought it in for a smooth landing. It was designed as a glider not a warmliner and i do give it full throttle on launch for about 10 seconds to get to altitude and slowly decrese throttle as it levels out and in light lift i can make about 8 full throttle launches and the motor never really gets hot. Im very happy with mine and have a second one as a back up still in the box and i could not tell you how many flights i have on this one and see it flying for many years to come. Maby it is because im 74 years old????????
desertdog1 is offline Find More Posts by desertdog1
Last edited by desertdog1; Sep 02, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:30 PM
windyhill
United States, OR, Ione
Joined Jan 2009
93 Posts
also it is a very good slope plane but needs stick on wheel weights as far forward as you can get them.
desertdog1 is offline Find More Posts by desertdog1
Last edited by desertdog1; Sep 02, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:07 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
70 Posts
Best reply yet Windyhill, could not agree more.
Value for money, and buy a second airframe only for spares.
My only mods, trim nose off spinner level to prop shaft and add air holes back of spinner plate and fire wall. Outlet air holes aft top of canopy. Fitted hinge bottom ruder.
Painted dark colour stripes lower wing.
Estimate wing loading 10/11 ozs. sq. ft.
hi flyer is offline Find More Posts by hi flyer
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:56 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
So I finally got a chance to try out my Phoenix with my new Turnigy 2836 1000kv motor and 9x6 prop. This motor has a 4mm shaft. It's been raining on and off here in Indiana all day and I was not sure I would find a chance to fly it this evening. But the rain stopped long enough for me to try and fly it.

So I ran the throttle up to half and tossed it into the windy air. Off it went and I'm happy to say it flew fine! It was windy though so I could not fully examine how good the motor and prop will be but from my two flights of ten minutes each, it seemed to do real good. I ran it up to full throttle for a few seconds but for most of throttle time it never went above half throttle. Half the time I was gliding with no throttle. Also my old problem of my glider wanting to bank right did not show up this time. So I think that problem was the old prop/spinner combo I was using. This new motor and prop are real quiet too.

My fiberglass job/motor mount seemed to hold up well also. The one thing I noticed was that I forgot to cut the two air cooling vents open. They had fiberglass covering them. I did feel the motor after my first ten minute flight and it was hot but not too hot. You could touch it for a few seconds and not get burnt. So I would say very warm, not really hot.

Also had my altimeter in it and my highest was 666 feet. Ran the motor with my Mystery 40amp esc and a UBEC.

I was happy to get it back up in the air. Next step, put led lights on it or my new EPP wing.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:35 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
I was feeling confident after yesterdays flight so this evening I put on the big wings on my Phoenix Evolution, turning it from a 1.6m wingspan to 2.6m wingspan. I was thinking with the bigger wing I would be able to easily reach 1000 feet altitude. Boy was I wrong! I was able to bank both ways but banking was too sluggish, particuallry one way. I actualy lost oriatation five or six times and there was a ten second stretch where my Phoenix Evolution when upside down and I had no idea which way was up. It even went into a couple of "death dives" toward the ground and I was somehow able to pull it up.

I think I'm done flying the 2.6m version. It's just not very maneuverable at all. The 1.6m version goes where I want it to go and usually does what I want it to do. I can control it. But when I put on that extra wing to make it 2.6m, its hard for me to fly and not fun at all. I'm starting to wonder know if the long wing version is a gimmick. It flies great with 1.6m wingspan, but for me it flies horrible in the 2.6m wingspan.

1.6m wingspan for me for the foreseeable future. I still want to gain altitude though, maximum altitude. So I'm wondering if I would put on blinking lights on the nose and tail, if that would help me keep orientation at 700 feet+. Or maybe I will just have to sacrifice my glider and take it all the way up till its nearly out of eyesight and hope to bring it down safely or lose it.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:54 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
I was feeling confident after yesterdays flight so this evening I put on the big wings on my Phoenix Evolution, turning it from a 1.6m wingspan to 2.6m wingspan. I was thinking with the bigger wing I would be able to easily reach 1000 feet altitude. Boy was I wrong! I was able to bank both ways but banking was too sluggish, particuallry one way. I actualy lost oriatation five or six times and there was a ten second stretch where my Phoenix Evolution when upside down and I had no idea which way was up. It even went into a couple of "death dives" toward the ground and I was somehow able to pull it up.

I think I'm done flying the 2.6m version. It's just not very maneuverable at all. The 1.6m version goes where I want it to go and usually does what I want it to do. I can control it. But when I put on that extra wing to make it 2.6m, its hard for me to fly and not fun at all. I'm starting to wonder know if the long wing version is a gimmick. It flies great with 1.6m wingspan, but for me it flies horrible in the 2.6m wingspan.
Hoosier, I bought a Evolution kit to get the 2.6m wings. (and a spare fuselage - but that's another story). My 2.6m Evo flies great. It does have a (much) slower roll rate than the Phoenix 2m, but that's to be expected, I suppose. I sped up the roll rate by using flaperons (full length ailerons, where the flaps move like ailerons). Also mixing in some rudder with the ailerons helps a lot. With those long wings, you pretty much have to use some rudder to swing that tail around in a turn. You probably won't be able to get by just using ailerons for turning like on the Phoenix.

Oh, one other thing - the vertical stabilizer and rudder are much bigger on the Evolution than on the Phoenix (see picture). Probably the designers trying to get it as stable as the 2m version while turning. The size of the vertical stab / rudder are the only difference I can find between the Phoenix and the 2.6 evolution (other than the wings, obviously).

I'd give it another chance, just take it up to a comfortable altitude and do some turns and go up again, repeat ad nauseum. Don't go for any altitude records just yet. Keep it where you can see it, and what it's doing. The 2.6m Evolution (Phoenix) DOES fly fairly well.

--
Greg
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism
Last edited by botulism; Sep 04, 2012 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:09 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
Hoosier, I bought a Evolution kit to get the 2.6m wings. (and a spare fuselage - but that's another story). My 2.6m Evo flies great.
Greg

What motor is in your Evolution?
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,671 Posts
Hi, HoosierGuy.

A longer wing requires a different technique. First of all, it needs more throw. "Differential throw", where the aileron goes up more than down, is also more important. Even then, one needs to use the rudder to turn. One sets the bank with the ailerons, controls angle of attack and speed with elevator, and the actual turn is with the rudder. It takes a while to learn but, once you figure it out, you will be able to make slower, flatter, tighter turns.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:00 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
I noticed that when I banked to turn it wanted to nose down steeply, half the time. Scary! There were a few times it nosed down and it didn't seem to want to pull up until I gave it lots of throttle. In the 1.6m version I can fly pretty good with throttle on or off. But with that extra wing extension, it seemed like it needed that throttle on with lots of throttle (say 50%+) to turn correctly or pull up out of a dive. It was like a totally different beast.

I thought the rudder was not there to make a plane turn. I thought rudder was there to help a plane bank but once in that bank you let off the rudder.

I don't know. It's like starting from scratch. lol.

I did order a DVD I've been wanting for a while now - Secrets of Thermal Soaring. It looks like a good DVD.

http://www.radiocarbonart.com/produc...l-Soaring.html

The good news is that my motor and prop are still working fine and the prop has note flown off yet.

Summers over and now fall begins. Can't wait to fly this glider in the fall!
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:08 AM
Seeker of Thermals
Joined Aug 2004
660 Posts
Quote:
What motor is in your Evolution?
I bought the kit which doesn't include any electronics. (I get confused with all those acronyms - PDQ, MVP, PNF, EMS, PNP, NPN, whatever???) I put a (huge) 3642-1000 kv motor in there, swinging a 12x6, and it gets up and scoots. Not quite vertical, but quite powerful.

--
Greg
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:54 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
I bought the kit which doesn't include any electronics. (I get confused with all those acronyms - PDQ, MVP, PNF, EMS, PNP, NPN, whatever???) I put a (huge) 3642-1000 kv motor in there, swinging a 12x6, and it gets up and scoots. Not quite vertical, but quite powerful.

--
Greg

Yeah, in the 1.6m version my Turnigy 2836 1000kv motor and 9x6 folding prop has some OK speed. But when I flew the 2.6m version it seemed to be a little under powered. I just put in that 2836 1000kv motor. I'm willing to buy a larger motor and install it. What bigger motor would you recommend specifically to fly this glider in the 2.6m version (also what prop size)?
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:21 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, in the 1.6m version my Turnigy 2836 1000kv motor and 9x6 folding prop has some OK speed. But when I flew the 2.6m version it seemed to be a little under powered. I just put in that 2836 1000kv motor. I'm willing to buy a larger motor and install it. What bigger motor would you recommend specifically to fly this glider in the 2.6m version (also what prop size)?
Have you tried a 10x6 on the 2836 yet? The additional thrust should help with the heavier 2.6m wings.
maca55 is online now Find More Posts by maca55
Last edited by maca55; Sep 05, 2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:27 AM
Seeker of Thermals
Joined Aug 2004
660 Posts
Quote:
I mis-spoke earlier, I'm using the C3542-1000 from HK. I believe the prefix is the shaft orientation, the C prefix is the correct orientation for the Phoenix. The D prefix (from the HK picture) shows the shaft reversed. So, if you're not comfortable reversing a motor shaft, best to wait until you can find the 'C' version (not in stock presently). Here's a link to the D version. A 40A generic ESC and a generic 12*6 folding prop powers my Phoevolution 1.6m/2m/2.6m quite nicely (from 3000' above sea level starting point). With the 2m wing on there, I would say nearly vertical performance. Also, note this motor has a 5mm shaft, so the stock prop/hub won't fit on there.

Note this isn't a recommendation, just a statement.

--
Greg
Last edited by botulism; Sep 04, 2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added 5mm shaft warning