HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:18 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maca55 View Post

. I think there is a new version out #18? which you may want to look at...
Oops....trouble in paradise:
"2: AVI File Format - the HD video is output in a more widely accepted AVI format, but the AVI structure is non-standard. The files will play fine, but many video editors cannot edit the files easily."
re: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1627189
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:40 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
I'm thinking once my new spinner and prop comes I want to get more shaft to show sticking out from the motor. The only way I know how to do this is to remove one of the plates that goes between the motor and prop. You know, that metal plate, wood plates, etc.... On the outside there are two - a metal one and wood one. Would it be safe to remove one of those? And if so which one? I was thinking
of removing the wood plate and keeping the metal one.
HoosierGuy, my Phoenix 2000 bought Nov-2011 came with the following firewall sandwich:

Motor -> PCB Plate -> Plywood Plate -> Plastic Fuse -> Metal Plate

IE) Same as yours but minus the external plywood plate.

I haven't had any issue with melting the plastic yet, but I am mindful of throttle duration.
maca55 is online now Find More Posts by maca55
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:43 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Oops....trouble in paradise:
"2: AVI File Format - the HD video is output in a more widely accepted AVI format, but the AVI structure is non-standard. The files will play fine, but many video editors cannot edit the files easily."
re: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1627189
The #16 has the same non-standard AVI format issue. AVI format is an optional recording format. MOV format is the standard recording format on the #16.
maca55 is online now Find More Posts by maca55
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:38 AM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
I'm on my phone so it is difficult to ad links etc. At this time but I did want to comment on the topic of #16 vs. #18.

I purchased the #18 and then susequently was reading up on it and found that the general consensus is that the #16 is a better camera. They are actually made by diiferent companies and the #18 is not an improved version of the #16 as one might be led to believe.

Btw: my #18 didn't quite survive impacting a direct hit with a small tree. And sadly when I retrieved the sd card the footage ended seconds before impact. However the cool thing was all the water droplets that flew off the tree on impact. The sprinlers had been running at the park earlier in the morning and when my plane (not my phoenix) impacted the tree it looked like one of those films where you see a boxer gettting hit and all the sweat flying off. Really wish I could have captured that!
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:57 AM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoGolf View Post
I'm on my phone so it is difficult to ad links etc. At this time but I did want to comment on the topic of #16 vs. #18.
However the cool thing was all the water droplets that flew off the tree on impact. The sprinlers had been running at the park earlier in the morning and when my plane (not my phoenix) impacted the tree it looked like one of those films where you see a boxer gettting hit and all the sweat flying off. Really wish I could have captured that!
That sounds COOL, BG! I wish you had captured it, too. I've had a few crashes with the #16 that end mysteriously a few hundred milliseconds before impact, too. I think the cam must do some buffering while writing it to the SD card. I'd get back and say 'Well, I just destroyed the plane I've been working on all winter, but I bet I got some cool video!'. Bzzzt. Wrong.

--
Greg
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:08 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maca55 View Post
HoosierGuy, my Phoenix 2000 bought Nov-2011 came with the following firewall sandwich:

Motor -> PCB Plate -> Plywood Plate -> Plastic Fuse -> Metal Plate

IE) Same as yours but minus the external plywood plate.

I haven't had any issue with melting the plastic yet, but I am mindful of throttle duration.

Thanks. I'll probably try that. My plastic mount is supported by fiberglass.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:05 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
My new spinner and props came from Chicago! I'll be working a lot tonight to Sunday morning. So I won't be able to get it back until Sunday evening or Monday. Can't wait though!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:00 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
My new watt meter from Honk Kong should get to me Friday or Saturday. Does anyone know the max watts the stock motor can take? I look forward to having fun testing the watts in all my planes.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:26 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
Another question - the folding blades I ordered with the spinner, the bore/holes where the screws run through are too small. Do I just take a drill and make the holes a little bigger so I can use the attachment screws that came with my spinner?

Spinner is really light, I like that.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,430 Posts
Hi, HG. Assuming there isn't a metal bushing in the blades you can, very carefully, drill them to fit. It's O.K. if they end up a tiny bit oversize but they have to be straight. If you don't have access to a drill press you might want to invest in an inexpensive drill guide for the job.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:01 PM
Seeker of Thermals
Joined Aug 2004
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hi, HG. Assuming there isn't a metal bushing in the blades you can, very carefully, drill them to fit. It's O.K. if they end up a tiny bit oversize but they have to be straight. If you don't have access to a drill press you might want to invest in an inexpensive drill guide for the job.
I concur with peterlngh, I wouldn't try it bare handed. I use a Dremel moto-tool drill press (they're around US$35, I think). You already have the Dremel tool, right? handiest tool in my arsenal. I once built an entire 3000 sq. ft. mansion on top of a mountain using only a Dremel tool, some cut-off wheels, sanding discs, and
those weIRd metal things that no one ever uses.

--
Greg
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:55 AM
It's supposed to fly that way?
Spain, AL, Zurgena
Joined Mar 2011
106 Posts
After a very good day of soaring and thermalling, my Phoenix went straight in from about 100-150ft, when we think the control horn on an aileron snapped. She just flipped over and dove! Tried everything to recover it, but to no effect! Never seen wings flutter so much either without coming off! We fly from the top of a +/- 1000ft hill near El Pinar de Bedar, Spain, and the terrain is unforgiving if you get it wrong! Whole front end is a right-off, the Lypo is a very funny shape, and most of the front plywood mounts have shattered! Had to cut the aluminium spinner off, and even drill out one of the engine screws (I used an XYH mounting for my NTM35 motor - fortunately not damaged!) Canopy has vanished, and both the wings ripped out of their plastic mountings on impact! Debating whether to order a complete model or just the fuselage, as already have new wings from a previous mid-air! Decisions, decisions...!
Philosan1 is offline Find More Posts by Philosan1
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:19 PM
Seeker of Thermals
Joined Aug 2004
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosan1 View Post
After a very good day of soaring and thermalling, my Phoenix went straight in from about 100-150ft, when we think the control horn on an aileron snapped. She just flipped over and dove! Tried everything to recover it, but to no effect! Never seen wings flutter so much either without coming off! We fly from the top of a +/- 1000ft hill near El Pinar de Bedar, Spain, and the terrain is unforgiving if you get it wrong! Whole front end is a right-off, the Lypo is a very funny shape...
Philo, sorry to hear about your unintentional hard landing. Regarding that LiPo bent into a funny shape - BE CAREFUL! It's possible it could short internally, causing a melt down with associated fire & plasma jets. Especially if you try to straighten it or get the kink out. No telling what kind of internal damage the cells may have been subject to. I've seen posts on how to safely discharge LiPos (I think it involved salt water), might want to google that.

I'm surprised there was so much damage on the fuselage (would you be able to post any pictures?). I thought those things were pretty much indestructable, even from a very high lawn darting.

--
Greg
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:43 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
Another question - the folding blades I ordered with the spinner, the bore/holes where the screws run through are too small. Do I just take a drill and make the holes a little bigger so I can use the attachment screws that came with my spinner?

Spinner is really light, I like that.
With the right drill bits, you shouldn't need a press.
That kind of 'tunnel' hole thru a solid block will tend to make a bit 'hold true' as it's passed thru. The trick is not to let it get started 'off-centered'. Here's what I'd do, & why I say "with the right drill bits"

Go thru Inch, Metric, Letter, Number -- any sizings of bits you have at your call, to find one that you can barely get inside with hand pressure, unattached to a drill -- that's your starter. If it's a tight fit, all the better -- go ahead and attach a drill with the bit still inside the prop shoulder. I'd recommend wearing gloves for safety and comfort, before starting the drill....but when you engage it, run the prop up & down the bit as it's cutting....or 'shaving' the bore interior would be the better description of the action you'd want.

Stop the drill with bit still inside before removing blade from the bit, so's not to ream off-center towards one end of the 'tunnel', and trial-fit your screw. Put screw thru & hold head & tip between thumb & forefinger, and blade should fall free & swing when released - and that'll be about a perfect fit.

If the bore isn't big enough for that, go up to next size bit & repeat....repeating one step at a time until you get the perfect fit. A rat-tail file might be just the ticket when you're clearing one bit & the next available size up might be too big.

Above all, a knack for using tools would be your best asset. I for instance wouldn't hesitate to do it just as I've described - having both the tools & the experience! YMMV....& no shame in that. Just, as Clint said snarled, "Man's gotta know his limitations."

Good luck!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:40 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
Philo, sorry to hear about your unintentional hard landing. Regarding that LiPo bent into a funny shape - BE CAREFUL! It's possible it could short internally, causing a melt down with associated fire & plasma jets. Especially if you try to straighten it or get the kink out. No telling what kind of internal damage the cells may have been subject to. I've seen posts on how to safely discharge LiPos (I think it involved salt water), might want to google that.
http://thunderpowerrc.com/PDF/DISPOS...-BATTERIES.pdf
RCG Plus Member