HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:49 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,943 Posts
(Don't mind me....I just stopped by to hear that '51's engine again while I had my morning coffee.)
'Kickstart m' heart!'
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:10 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Remember - no hands-on as of yet, but....
Prop: Blaze = 10x6 --- Dy-S = 12x6.5
Motor - a little unsure but they're reported diffs. Only know for now that:
Blaze = 1130Kv Outie --- Dy-S = "35mm" Outie.
SH, looks like I'll be 'seeing' you over at the Blaze thread soon eh? I posted the 'full' Dynamic-S motor specs there - Kv is quite a bit lower than the Blaze. I hope yours won't need max left aileron trim to fly level like mine and several others do.

I still prefer flying the Phoenix 2000. My Dynamic-S with the trimming issue can be a little stressful and tricky to fly. It will stall easily and snap roll 180 degrees, fooling you into thinking it's flying one way when it's actually coming back towards you! It's silhouette give's away few visual cues. In comparison the Phoenix is much more relaxing and predictable to fly, plus it can be slowed and 'stopped on a dime' with Crow.
maca55 is offline Find More Posts by maca55
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:40 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,943 Posts
Kewl - I'll check it out. And yehhhh....I've already gotten a couple messages that's left me a li'l less than 100% confident.

Who was it, you Ted? - who once said on another board something to the effect that, "I have the inate ability to crash planes into the ground & make it look intentional"?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:17 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Kewl - I'll check it out. And yehhhh....I've already gotten a couple messages that's left me a li'l less than 100% confident.

Who was it, you Ted? - who once said on another board something to the effect that, "I have the inate ability to crash planes into the ground & make it look intentional"?
That was good but wasn't me Hopper. I will note, however, that I have just returned from the garage and the repairs to my PZ T-28 that was recently captured and held hostage by a nefarious pine tree. Said pine tree is horizontal and no longer producing sap which should be fair warning to all of it's surrounding buds lest they conger similar aspirations. As for the ground, I must concede the demise of my F-14 when it (the ground) leapt skyward and and lulled said Tomcat into a dirt nap.

Surely all can see it was not my fault, right?

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:42 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,943 Posts
Stoopid trees....always thinkin' they got the right-of-way!

Tho I'm remnded of a bit I read recently about a particular event at a mobile science lab .... even their motto fits the inescapable reality of it all:

"I was fortunate enough (for lack of a better excuse), to put this Extra through a durability-test at the Monasterio Electric Aerospace Institute and Crash Test Facility (motto: "Electrons Rule, Yet Gravity Always Laughs Last")..."

So there's your out -- claim it was for ﻍ ﺡ אּ ﻍ ﺄ ﺡ ﮐ !
(And keep a McCulloch in yer field box)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:47 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Stoopid trees....always thinkin' they got the right-of-way!

Tho I'm remnded of a bit I read recently about a particular event at a mobile science lab .... even their motto fits the inescapable reality of it all:

"I was fortunate enough (for lack of a better excuse), to put this Extra through a durability-test at the Monasterio Electric Aerospace Institute and Crash Test Facility (motto: "Electrons Rule, Yet Gravity Always Laughs Last")..."

So there's your out -- claim it was for ﻍ ﺡ אּ ﻍ ﺄ ﺡ ﮐ !
(And keep a McCulloch in yer field box)
"And keep a McCulloch in yer field box"

Yup, the club has a new saw in the storage van. Comes in might handy at times.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:08 AM
Gold Coast Australia
Joined Sep 2010
254 Posts
Quote:
Congrats on your new bird, Tony. Good thing you held off on all the 'upgrades', IMO. I think you'll find the stock powertrain very adequate, & make a (just) prop & spinner replacement that's more'n half the cost of the whole ship well worth skipping! With a 2200mAh & all stock, I've had it up over 1000 ft (certified on EagleTree) & several 30+ minute flights & didn't even raise a sweat. Best I can offer is just don't push it....when going up do it in stages with rests every 30 seconds or so. And keep 'er level on landings!

Clear skies & smooth sailing!
Thanks SH44
Really, really pleased with this bird and have racked up about 20 flights on it in all sorts of conditions. Still with original gear, no problems, touch wood.
Had it up in 20 knots, with about 30 degree of flap down it hovers...feeling a bit frisky , give it to it .. its pretty much a warm liner and fully aerobatic .Rolls are so slow but loops and Immelmans ( with a lot of rudder ) are a hoot. Have even done some outside loops..
I normally recommend a Radian as a first bird to learn on but I think this might be the better option, certainly from a bang for bucks point of view.
Next newbie I have under tuition we are going to get one of these with plenty of al/rudder mix and expo dialed in and see how that goes. My 86 year old former
pupil has a Phoenix now and is going real well.
Cheers
Tony
Biggles51 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles51
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
789 Posts
I'm assuming my Phoenix Evolution 2-in-1 (in 1.6m mode) flies as well as your Phoenix 2000. I flew my Evolution last night in 1.6m wingspan and it was very calm out with no breeze at all. That glider launches in the air like it's on rails. I have great enjoyment getting up and cutting motor and gliding around. I have my TX timer set on twelve minutes. The last two times I've flown it I've used less than half the battery. The only thing that's missing is me and little knowledge of thermals and how to find them and stay in them.

I get a kick out the birds come out and chase my glider and other R.C. planes. They definitely don't like me flying in their air space. lol. When I land my glider they also make the same chirping sound. It's like they are saying "The big bird is down! The big gird is down!"
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:42 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
789 Posts
Is your motor ultra quiet when you get it up in the air? My Phoenix Evolution is very quiet once it's up in the air a little. Often I have to give it lots of throttle for a second or two just to try and hear it to make sure the motor is still working. lol.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:26 AM
Gold Coast Australia
Joined Sep 2010
254 Posts
The motor prop combination on mine is very nicely balanced and quiet.
The brake should be set on the esc and the prop blades will be folded with throttle off.
This is visible from a good distance.
Cheers
Tony
Biggles51 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles51
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:15 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
779 Posts
HoosierGuy,

I'd like to recommend you to fly with 2.6m wings for better gliding and thermal performance if there is no much wind... it really floats and floats!
HF_ATL is online now Find More Posts by HF_ATL
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:05 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,287 Posts
My motor/prop combo is quite noisy at low rpms for some reason (is well balanced aparently) but becames quieter once rpms go past 1/3 and at altitude is barelly audible
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:54 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_ATL View Post
HoosierGuy,

I'd like to recommend you to fly with 2.6m wings for better gliding and thermal performance if there is no much wind... it really floats and floats!

I tried that and I could not bank left, only right, and it banked slowly/sluggishly.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1679607
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:29 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
779 Posts
I fly with the 2.6m all the time and have not encountered that problem.
Mix ailerons with rudder and make sure the up aileron goes further than down.

QUOTE=HoosierGuy;22021765]I tried that and I could not bank left, only right, and it banked slowly/sluggishly.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1679607[/QUOTE]
HF_ATL is online now Find More Posts by HF_ATL
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:50 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_ATL View Post
I fly with the 2.6m all the time and have not encountered that problem.
Mix ailerons with rudder and make sure the up aileron goes further than down.

QUOTE=HoosierGuy;22021765]I tried that and I could not bank left, only right, and it banked slowly/sluggishly.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1679607
[/QUOTE]

My glider flies so nice in the 1.6m version I'm not sure I want to fly it again in the 2.6m version. I think I'll have the same problem again.