HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:43 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
HG - I'm away from home at the moment but IIRC on the P2K spinner the rearmost edge of the RED part measures 40mm and some specified that for replacements. But adding the requisite backplate (the black part) adds 2mm to the O.D., or 42mm....and I've seen it said this is the better substitute to order.

I measured the one on mine and I get the same measurements. 40.1mm on the red part and 42mm/42.1mm on the black part.

I'm curious - what flight times are you all getting and have any of you put in two batteries and used them in parallel? I'm getting around 15 minutes on my 3 cell 2200mah and that's with gliding without the motor some of the time. I flew this afternoon for about fourteen minutes and used the motor 3/4 of the time. My charger put back in a little over 1700mah. I would like to get at least twenty five minutes solid flight time while using the motor 3/4 of that time. I've not used two batteries before and I'm itching to wire up two batteries and try parallel because I want to do it more in the near future. Would you recommend a bigger mah battery or two batteries in parallel?
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:49 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
I measured the one on mine and I get the same measurements. 40.1mm on the red part and 42mm/42.1mm on the black part.

I'm curious - what flight times are you all getting and have any of you put in two batteries and used them in parallel? I'm getting around 15 minutes on my 3 cell 2200mah and that's with gliding without the motor some of the time. I flew this afternoon for about fourteen minutes and used the motor 3/4 of the time. My charger put back in a little over 1700mah. I would like to get at least twenty five minutes solid flight time while using the motor 3/4 of that time. I've not used two batteries before and I'm itching to wire up two batteries and try parallel because I want to do it more in the near future. Would you recommend a bigger mah battery or two batteries in parallel?
Actually, you might want to try a smaller battery to reduce weight so you can take better advantage of any thermals that can keep you aloft. Say a 1300mah maybe.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosglider View Post
Actually, you might want to try a smaller battery to reduce weight so you can take better advantage of any thermals that can keep you aloft. Say a 1300mah maybe.

I thought about that. I think it actually calls for a 1300 but I only had an 1800mah and now I have a 2200 and I've been using that.

Ok I just checked the manual. Calls for a 1500 mah bat.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Last edited by HoosierGuy; Jun 22, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:18 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,988 Posts
I've been using a 1500mAh and generally get 15 minutes of gliding with about 3 or 4 climbs.... that is very conservative gliding... if I start to do loops and try rolls, etc.. the duration drops to less than 10 minutes....

If I manage to catch some thermals I've been up for 25 minutes on one battery... then deliverately came down to take a break.

Toppers
Toppers is online now Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:04 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
I've not tried the dual-LiPo thing, but was prep'd to rig up a harness for a pair of 1300 Nano-Techs to see what happened. Then I ran into that CoG thing, & knew I didn't have space to stack 'em.

They weigh 111g each so that'd be 222g; & 2200's (that I use) average wgt runs 187.5g. Surprisingly they each - the 1300's & 2200's -(& again, the ones I use) give almost exactly 11.7mAh/gram of weight so, might be worth trying. I'd basically be hauling around an extra 34.5g of weight for 400 extra mAh of 'fuel'.

Now, what might one do with 400mAh in a P2K, you might wonder. Hellooooo, EAGLE TREE!

Pulling up the 5-flight day where I reached 1018' on 4th session, in my 1st session of the day - as a random 'grab' the data shows:
With the P2K already airborne & moving, at end of 1st climb & glide:
At 114' with 166 accum'd mAh, climbed at full throttle for 42 secs to 567', chopped throttle & continued up to 602' (+35');
Total climb 488' over 42 secs using 205mAh;

Glide from 602' down to 86' (516') over 88 secs using 10mAh running servos; an accum'd 220mAh over 130 secs at this point.

Hit full throttle; re-climbed from 87' to 327' & chopped - cont'd up to 355'; total climb 268' over 19 secs, using 94mAh.

Glide down to 61' (-294') over 65 secs on 6mAh for servos.

Next climb was at half throttle, & I'd reached 234' (+173') in 22 secs - the moment I used the 400th mAh of 'juice' (add'l 85mAh).
Rough calc of average; another casual minute+ of gliding to landing.

SO....if muh fangers, toes, head & other extraneous appurtenances are all present & pumping, 400 mAh will buy you - roughly:
a minute (61s) climbing at full throttle + 22s at half throttle up to 929' of altitude, followed by 153 seconds or ~2.5 minutes plus that 'casual minute' gliding time from the half-throttle climb for a total of about 5 minutes total flight.

That's with a 2200 -- you prolly won't get quite that hauling that extra 35 grams of weight around, tho.

(Should I add, 'YMMV', for comic effect??)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:25 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Here's the whole chart for that one flight, for anyone interested. The section I analyzed is in the red block. You can pore over the rest for further analysis if you wish. Any details or 'closeup' of a section needed, let me know.

As you can see, I got ~845 seconds (the 'Interval' marked) or 14+ minutes total flight on this one 2200mAh, which answers another question asked.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Jun 23, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:35 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Totally understand and good luck. I have a hunch I might know what plane you're talking about, but I'll hold my breath just in case to help your cause.
Yo Eos! Remember this exchange?
OK it's time for you to make your guess public, 'cuz I'm about to take the lid off this one. As of this afternoon, I pulled the trigger & the Mystery Glider should be dispatched Monday! Let's see how close you came.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:42 AM
Joined Sep 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
And make your guesses known now - as I'll be revealing it soon & we can see if you were right! *heh heh hehhhh*
Zephyr V70? (been eyeing that one myself)
invenext is offline Find More Posts by invenext
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:10 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Yo Eos! Remember this exchange?
OK it's time for you to make your guess public, 'cuz I'm about to take the lid off this one. As of this afternoon, I pulled the trigger & the Mystery Glider should be dispatched Monday! Let's see how close you came.
Dynamic-S, USA whse. is my guess. At least that would be my choice.

Ted
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:13 AM
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
motor replacement

I managed to destroy my last motor ,the one that is recommended for the plane( i melted the wires on the motor housing ).
I did have a motor for another plane that has not got off the drawing board yet so i fitted that to the glider .
I had to redo the holes for the motor mount ,and drill out the propeller for the 5mm shaft on the motor .
today i had the first test flight the plane climbed almost vertical on full power but could fly around on 1/4 throttle very well.
After about 15mins of flying the motor was only just warm ,this motor should last a lot longer than the last one .
here is the link to the motor if anyone is interested.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...product=17919;)
kiwi flyer 05 is offline Find More Posts by kiwi flyer 05
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:11 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi flyer 05 View Post
... plane climbed almost vertical on full power but could fly around on 1/4 throttle very well.
After about 15mins of flying the motor was only just warm ,this motor should last a lot longer than the last one ....
Congrats! I do love a HAPPY ENDING!!

RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:48 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
But....where the heck is EOS? Don't he know he's supposed to be around when I want him....here at my beck & call?? *LMBO*
And Ted....is that really a fair guess? Fair enough I guess to say to all guesses (so far) "CLOSE!"....cuz I want ALL those! *LOL*

I'll just say-y-y-yyy....there was a last-minute change of plans. And I do mean, literally, last minute. A certain party crossed me, & I told 'em where to hangar their glider. (Hint: The sun don't shine there.) Film at 11!
+++
OK, just edited this post. I'd wait for EOS but realized my schedule's gonna be wicked-crazy tomorrow so....let me leave y'all with this. Watch these couple videos & tell me what ya think:

Video #1 w/Music
Video #2 w/Natural Sounds

PS: This is admittedly 'Off Brand' OT so, will give y'all a bit of time to watch for the entertainment value, & I'll come back & clean 'em off, okay? Hope y'all don't mind -- but there is some kinda kick-butt glider flyng in there! This has been a long time in the planning & just wanted to share with my friends here! (Can ya tell I'm excited?)

G'nite, kiddies!
Clear Skies & Soft Breezes on ya!
_
|-\_______.
'--=====--"
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:22 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
512 Posts
Ah! Of course! A Dynamic S!

Very nice SH!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:54 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Ah! Of course! A Dynamic S!

Very nice SH!
Methinks he settled on the ST Models Blaze. A little birdie told me so.

Ted
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:35 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Methinks he settled on the ST Models Blaze. A little birdie told me so.

Ted
Same plane.