HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Sep 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Sounds like a song title.

While I'm posting.....INVENEXT!
Show us some details on that 'rigid foam platform' on your pedestal-cam, & the locking bottom. .
About the wildest view I've seen to date, this guy had one on a long (like 6' or so) stick hanging off the back of a plane -- video looked like you were behind in a chase plane. Pretty darn cool, only thing was, he crashed it 1st flight making that video.
Here's some more pics. (sorry for the delay, I was on a camping trip)
invenext is offline Find More Posts by invenext
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:44 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
troll troll troll yer boat, gently down the forum...

OK, I'll bite.

Metal cylinder? might that be the... motor ???, or something like that, I can't quite recall the name. It's probably not necessary on a rebuild. Try it without it and see if you crash again. If you don't crash, that means the metal cylinder wasn't really necessary.
Good luck.

I have the Lanyu 2-in-1 and from my last crash I found a cylnder like weight also. I was not sure where it went but it was in a little box made of wood, the same wood the inside frame/battery tray is made out of. I saw some dried hot glue on it so I figured it was either glued under the battery tray or up near the motor. I did not see it until the crash. I tried using Shoe Goo to glue it back it but it came out.
So I'm not going to put it back in. Once I get my repairs done I'll fly it without it and see if it needs to go back in.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:49 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Hoosier Guy;
I've not personally used fiberglass either - never had to - but I've been around plenty of it & uses of it. Just steppin' in here to note, some fiberglass cloth is like gossamer or silk, almost. The type (and by this I mean 'weight') of fiberglas you'd get in any kit from Wally's, and I might be completely wrong but, would think it'd be pretty heavy as compared to what would be preferred to use in our applications.

Compare the info here for weights / sq meter with what you got:
(For a physical reference to a gram, if you're unfamiliar, a dollar bill weighs 1 gram)
Medium = 270g https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...idProduct=9786
Light = 200g https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=10071
UltraThin = 48g https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=10903
Super Thin = 18g https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=10905
You might also want to consider carbon fiber tissue, at only 10g/m2:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=12898

HTH!

Thanks for all that. I did go to Walmart and bought a fiberglass repair kit. They aren't cheap are they? Anyway, this was the first time and I put it on last night and I was happy to see it become very solid. This afternoon I reinforced the firewall (where the motor screws in). This is my first experience with fiberglass and I'm shocked its so easy to use and strong and sets up quick. A little messy. I did my work outside. I can't wait to put the motor back on and see if my fiberglass job makes a secure solid motor mount.

I'm an F1 racing fan and I know they use carbon fiber to make their car bodies. I thought about using that too but I would have to order that.

What about Kevlar? I know they make Kevlar canoes. Since it's supposed to be strong and light wouldn't that be a good choice for gliders?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:26 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
I don't know if he's trolling. Something was mentioned is this post about about something like that.
But I've never heard it mentioned before that or since now.

At first I thought have something to with the option of being motorized or slope soarer and that it just might have been for ballast,
but I never had that piece in my kit.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post17810662
Aahhhh... OK. My apologies to the original poster , your post did seem somewhat cryptic, as the topic was from more than a year ago. I got my P2K in Nov. 2011, so didn't see the original.
--
Greg
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:31 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
770 Posts
Here's a pic of the weight from my Lanyu 2-in1. The black is from tape I put around it. I tried taping it inside from the front of the nose but that did not work.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:04 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
Aahhhh... OK. My apologies to the original poster , your post did seem somewhat cryptic, as the topic was from more than a year ago. I got my P2K in Nov. 2011, so didn't see the original.
--
Greg
I noted also it was his 1st post, hence likely made as soon as he'd read the post about the item in question without thinking of the dozens of intervening posts made since that one.
(Noob)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:08 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
Here's a pic of the weight from my Lanyu 2-in1. The black is from tape I put around it. I tried taping it inside from the front of the nose but that did not work.
OMG - that looks like some geocaches I've found! Is there maybe a message inside that says
"Help! I'm being held prisoner in a Chinese foamie-plane factory!" ??
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:14 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,211 Posts
HI guys,

I am awaiting one of these gliders to show up any day now and would like to know what size the control rods are in mm so i can get some better clevis's before it shows up.

And also, can someone recommend a replacement motor from HobbyKing as i have read that the stock motor and esc are of a low quality. I will get a 30amp Plush but am unsure of what motor to run with it. I have some 1800mah 30c 3s coming with the glider.

Cheers,

Alan.
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:43 PM
Rebelliously devoid of tattoos
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
HI guys,

I am awaiting one of these gliders to show up any day now and would like to know what size the control rods are in mm so i can get some better clevis's before it shows up.

And also, can someone recommend a replacement motor from HobbyKing as i have read that the stock motor and esc are of a low quality. I will get a 30amp Plush but am unsure of what motor to run with it. I have some 1800mah 30c 3s coming with the glider.

Cheers,

Alan.
Personal opinions regarding motor choice:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1699

I'd suggest the 40A Plush or K-Force (better) instead of 30A, even if it's not immediately warranted by your motor's current draw. With 6 servos in play, assuming you install the flaps - a very worthwhile thing to do - the 2A linear BECs of the 30A ESC class can easily be overwhelmed. For crow, camber, or reflex, you'd typically have radio mixes and conditions which cause the simultaneous movement of up to five servos. The HXT900s which are commonly used on this plane draw stall currents around the 500mA mark, with short-lived transients of up to 750mA visible on a 'scope

Five of those moving at the same time obviously has the potential to overwhelm a 2A BEC and thus cause a receiver brownout. In fact, I found I could fairly easily cause that to happen almost 50% of the time with a 2A BEC and an AR6200, even on a test bench. The current draw would be higher still up in the air with the flaps, in particular, pushing far into the resisting airstream.

Adding servo "slow" and "delay" to the radio mixes helps a bit, especially if the delay is used to stagger servo movement. For example, during crow deployment the first 2 seconds is spent moving both ailerons slowly upward, the nothing for a full second, and then the flaps commence their 3 seconds of down travel. YMMV.

Control rods are in the 1-1.2mm range (I don't have the plane handy to measure right now). Hence, if you're buying from HK try to get the smallest ones they've got, because the common 2mm size is too big.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:21 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,443 Posts
I happen to have that info recorded in my Hangar Notes for the P2K:
Pushrods:
Ailerons 1.5mm (Std ASW 25ga)
Rudder & Elev .047" (Std ASW 21ga)

And if there'd be only one change allowed on these planes it'd have to be to replace those clevises. I'm of the firm opinion the ones supplied with the plane are made of cheese.
Correction - make that, poor quality cheese.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Jun 20, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:38 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
HI guys,
I just added a 3A UBEC (cheap option) and have had no issues with the stock ESC and motor combo - running CROW and full span ailerons.

As mentioned many times here, just be sensible and limit your motor runs to 45s max and allow as long as possible in-between climbs to allow the motor to cool - assuming you want to glide your glider, that shouldn't be an issue right?
maca55 is offline Find More Posts by maca55
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:53 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Personal opinions regarding motor choice:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1699

I'd suggest the 40A Plush or K-Force (better) instead of 30A.
The Turnigy 40A Plush has the added benefict of having a switching BEC built in (comes even with ferrite) so apart from having a higher limit it draws far less power (and heat) from the battery.. and its a safer limit
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:51 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
770 Posts
For those of you that have broken your prop or spinners, what replacement spinner did you buy? Is there one available that will work with your Phoenix 2000?
I need a new spinner for my Lanyu 2-in-1 and I figure the spinner is the same.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:14 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,443 Posts
HG - I'm away from home at the moment but IIRC on the P2K spinner the rearmost edge of the RED part measures 40mm and some specified that for replacements. But adding the requisite backplate (the black part) adds 2mm to the O.D., or 42mm....and I've seen it said this is the better substitute to order.

This being my 1st plane with folding prop & all the 'spinnerwerx' stuff, I frankly am not well-schooled on exactly where to measure what nor why (tho I have my suspicions *heh*). But as I recall from when I was investigating the possibilities, the real problem is finding (1) a source, with (2) exactly what you want in their selection, & the real bugaboo: (3) in stock!

Have no idea whether the P2K's will fit yours....but good luck!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:58 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maca55 View Post
.... I really wish Starhopper would just bight the bullet and buy a whole new plane as I was enjoying his technical analysis of his flights and would like to see more data from him.
Maca55:
Why, THANK you kindly....it's good to know I had one's interest at least! *LOL*
Sorry didn't respond sooner but this is one of those posts that popped up well after I'd passed the point where it eventually appeared. HATE it when that happens!

Anyway, good buddy, it might well be a good while before my Phoenix sees the skies again. As I reported earlier, my "inside track" to the Lanyu royalty suddenly disappeared....and there's other things going on, besides. And my available (and mightily meager, especially since the recent & very ugly $750+ Water Heater Failure & House Flooding episode) airplane-buying funds are about to be expended on that "Mystery Model"* glider I've put out teasers regarding, in the not-too-distant past.
* (( And make your guesses known now - as I'll be revealing it soon & we can see if you were right! *heh heh hehhhh* ))

But back to "technical analysis of flights and would like to see more data ..."
One thing about being a tinkerer/researcher is there's no end to the possibilities for examination - especially in this sport - and the list of experiments can pretty quickly pile up on ya & create a backlog. Adding to that is the constant shortage of available flying time, where one gets to "try the pudding" to find the proof, so to speak. In any regard, in my projects I usually try to concentrate on proving or disproving this or that, in finding how things work & how to make 'em work better.

And towards that, let me share with you (& all here) the line I was working on at the time, and was in process of developing reports for publication, when the Phoenix "hit the ashes".

Premise: You all know (or should have a feel for) what kind of flying time you get from this or that LiPo pack, fitting that factor into the Wx conditions (eg windy), and the type of flying (ie, climb & glide, e-z cruising, 'soar', 'acro', 'sport' or 'pushing hard', &c &c) you do in a given session, right? RIGHT!

OK, jumping to "the thing". Next time you take 'er up, keep one primary requisite in mind: Under NO circumstances push your throttle stick to 100%. Make it 80% absolute maximum - even at initial climbout. In fact, if you have a way of placing a limiter on your throttle stick travel, DO IT -- even if it's only taping a popsicle stick across its path to 'govern' it.

It'll of course take longer to 'get up high'. You'll have to 'think ahead' to avoid any need for emergency power (which is a plus anyway, right?? ) Just get it in your head things'll take a little longer, & "fly leisurely".

I'll leave you there, & just say, observe what happens to your usual flying time on any given LiPo. I think you're in for a pleasant surprise.

PS: Share what you find!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Jun 22, 2012 at 03:04 PM.