SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:58 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
Hey, is the fuselage on the Phoenix 2000 the same as the Lanyu 2-in-1? Also, does anybody know if the canopy on the 2000 will fit the 2-in-1? Here's the 2-in-1 I'm talking about:

http://youtu.be/Km8n9RCJIfI

Have any of you had to do any repairs to the nose of your glider? My 2-in-1 hit the ground nose first very hard and it made the top of the fuselage start coming apart from the beginning of the canopy to the nose. Plus the plastic round piece that the motor is screwed too is very loose. If you had to fix yours how would you fix it?

Are there any sites out there that do sell replacement parts?

Thanks
Someone, think it was 'Skyhawk Newbie' early on in this thread fiberglas'd his nose but seems it was from heat damage rather than a wreck. Anyway he gave detailed instructions with pix on how to do so; searching back should give you plenty of guidance. Alt > Under Search use 'Tools' you can get a thumbnails review of pix posted. From them, right(?) click & choose the applicables & it should take you to the relative posts.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Sep 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
Bump.... are you around Invenext?
I am now! Wow, a flurry of activity in this thread.

It is indeed a keyfob camera, #11. (I'd get a #16 nowadays, its better) It has a wide angle magnetic lens on it. It's on a 1/4" carbon fiber tube that runs along the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer. The tube goes into a hole in the fuselage. That end has a carbon fiber strip glued to it as a key, and the hole is also keyed, so the rod can't turn. The rod is taped to the leading edge of the stabilizer and is easily removable.The camera end of the rod has a rigid foam platform placed at a downward angle.

These keyfob cameras don't actually point straight. I bet they're all a little different. I ended up gluing a carbon fiber sheet onto the bottom of my #11 camera that tilts it to just the right angle so the wings come out level in the video. This assembly is just taped to the foam block mentioned above. One of the reasons I set this up is to overcome the #11 shortcoming of shifting color. Keeping part of the plane in view prevents the camera from shifting color as much. The camera and mount weigh 45 grams.

Headless: The water you see is the Morro Bay estuary (central coast of California, United States). The biggest mountain in roughly the opposite direction is Hollister Peak. The meadow I am standing in contains about 300 ticks per square meter! It'd be a perfect flying site if it weren't for the wind and ticks.

HoosierGuy: I agree on the wing screws. One of mine seized up in the T nut before I even got finished building it. The T nut never did come off, I ended up having to work the whole T nut through the plywood of the fuselage in order to get the wing off, then I cut the screw. Since I now had a large hole in the plywood, I just upgraded to 1/4" T nuts (glued in). I'm using 1/4" nylon bolts. The drawer next to the bolts at the hardware store had nylon T bushings the bolts fit through nicely. I glued the bushings into the wing to support the area around the bolts. You can actually see the bolts in my videos. Less aerodynamic for sure, but much easier to deal with. I am able to get them tight enough by hand, so no tools needed. I have so far had one low altitude (and very low ground speed) tip stall resulting in a "cartwheel" landing into tall grass and there was no damage.
invenext is offline Find More Posts by invenext
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:55 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invenext View Post
the meadow i am standing in contains about 300 ticks per square meter!
wth!?!?
eosglider is online now Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Sep 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosglider View Post
wth!?!?
I'm not standing in it now. In the latest video you can see me standing in the meadow I eventually land in. One day I had to pick about 20 ticks off of me afterwards. 300 might be an exaggeration... unless you're counting eggs.

I'm currently looking for another sparsely populated place nearby to fly. I'm sick of the ticks.
invenext is offline Find More Posts by invenext
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:36 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,404 Posts
Quote:
... I'm sick of the ticks.
Sounds like a song title.

While I'm posting.....INVENEXT!
Show us some details on that 'rigid foam platform' on your pedestal-cam, & the locking bottom. .
About the wildest view I've seen to date, this guy had one on a long (like 6' or so) stick hanging off the back of a plane -- video looked like you were behind in a chase plane. Pretty darn cool, only thing was, he crashed it 1st flight making that video.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Jun 14, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:36 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,162 Posts
Invenext: Great idea mount the KeyCam on the fin like that. I'm gunna try it.
StarHopper: Can you find that video with Cam on a 6' rod?
Fugitive_Bill is online now Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:06 PM
HaoleboyRC
United States, CA, Auberry
Joined Apr 2009
175 Posts
StarHopper44

Our club the Fresno Soaring Society has had one ALES contest last year and have not had another although we have 6 or 7 planes fitted with the CAM device. Some of our members are competing at other ALES contests. We bought them as a group buy and got them for $39.00 ea. We just finished out 2nd contest of the year the Fresno Bent Wing, and are planning an ALES event maybe in Sept if we can get some cooler weather. Hot here in the central valley usually. I have a Radian with the altitude limiting device and will move that to the P2K initially but may buy another to have both planes outfitted. The ALES format seems to be a way to get new people into or interested in thermal flying without spending the big bucks like my Super Ava $1000.+. Also the crash factor of foam also makes it easier to repair.
HaoleboyRC
HaoleboyRC is offline Find More Posts by HaoleboyRC
Last edited by HaoleboyRC; Jun 14, 2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: add a couple of items
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:00 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,156 Posts
Aerial vids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Try these
Parkzone T-28 Camera Mount test #2 808 Spycam (5 min 39 sec)

Parkzone RC Spitfire spits out prop and lands deadstick (4 min 47 sec)

Parkzone Habu Nose camera 2 feet in front of nose (2 min 37 sec)

RC Parkzone Messerschmitt camera fun and crashes (4 min 21 sec)

Enjoy
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:13 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
SH sez: I'm gonna give you a peremptory "no" on that one. It's been many months ago.....and I don't love you enough to go lookin'.

(I'd have NO idea where to start.)

RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:21 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaoleboyRC View Post
StarHopper44

Our club the Fresno Soaring Society has had one ALES contest last year and have not had another although we have 6 or 7 planes fitted with the CAM device. Some of our members are competing at other ALES contests. We bought them as a group buy and got them for $39.00 ea. We just finished out 2nd contest of the year the Fresno Bent Wing, and are planning an ALES event maybe in Sept if we can get some cooler weather. Hot here in the central valley usually. I have a Radian with the altitude limiting device and will move that to the P2K initially but may buy another to have both planes outfitted. The ALES format seems to be a way to get new people into or interested in thermal flying without spending the big bucks like my Super Ava $1000.+. Also the crash factor of foam also makes it easier to repair.
HaoleboyRC
Kewl beans....thanks for all that. Just reading about it (back when I first did) it sure sounds like a lot of fun. Competition, pilot skills (& a bit of luck), and best thing I saw in it was it lets those with less expensive equipment compete. I forget which event, but one of the first "biggies" - might've been a nationals but the 'domain' was still small at the time; still 'starting up'....but a P2K took 2d place! The addition of having to land 'on a spot' adds a really cool element to it too. Bring flaps! *LOL*
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:11 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,404 Posts
*LOL* There ya go, Headless!
Li'l Hermann stole the show with that last video. Heck, just watching the spinner-spiral is a show in itself! But hmmmm....wonder why his supercharger intake is on the starboard side.
Du ve haff mirrorschenspeigel invvolvved?!?

Watching Hermann's start, I thought of a maybe interesting short subject film. Take an RC plane - something that'd catch the eye like this or other warbird....and just taxi it around town on the sidewalk, walking a few paces behind, with that kind of camera viewpoint but that would catch the expression on peoples faces. Oughta be a pretty neat movie!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Jun 15, 2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:19 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,319 Posts
Quote:

I will use my 9X (when i learn how to use it) to use full span ailerons and all other advanced functions like crow, reflex, camber .. etc

hopefully i can get things as cool as this:

ER9x PHOENIX2000 RC glider butterfly(Crow) setting (1 min 1 sec)

Also:

Did you integrated the piece of wing that goes fixed between ailerons and flaps? did you added it to ailerons or inner flaps? differences?
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:22 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
9x with open9x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
I will use my 9X (when i learn how to use it) to use full span ailerons and all other advanced functions like crow, reflex, camber .. etc
I'm using open9x on my 9X and have full span ailerons, camber, reflex, variable Crow/Butterfly with curve driven elevator compensation etc all setup, similar to that in the video. I'll be adding Flight phases too soon. It is VERY nice landing with variable Crow on Throttle stick.

JLT_GTI, if you need any help with your 9x (I presume you have done the firmware mod?) or would like a copy of my model data to build from let me know.
maca55 is offline Find More Posts by maca55
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:00 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maca55 View Post
I'm using open9x on my 9X and have full span ailerons, camber, reflex, variable Crow/Butterfly with curve driven elevator compensation etc all setup, similar to that in the video. I'll be adding Flight phases too soon. It is VERY nice landing with variable Crow on Throttle stick.

JLT_GTI, if you need any help with your 9x (I presume you have done the firmware mod?) or would like a copy of my model data to build from let me know.
Yes..i right away upgraded it to Er9X .. im still have to "study" and understand it...
i readed a guide about it but its still like a intimidating monster as i come from a 7C (wich wasnt easy either but it only supports 3 mixes for example)

My intention is to combine all those functions and make things if possible like when deploying the airbrake make only the ailerons (outer surfaces) work rather than all of them.. or limit the inner to preserve the flap effect..

tought on the other side limiting control in final might not be wise ..i had not far ago ginormous rotors flip the Phoenix making it do a 270 roll really fast when at 2 or 3m high (saved it somehow)

Also wonder how implement the airbrake... throotle stick? but then what i use to power? switch? pot? use a switch to change between throotle operation and airbrake? its a bit messyy
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:48 PM
Gold Coast Australia
Joined Sep 2010
254 Posts
Another one in the air.
Hi Guys, ended up getting one myself as a fun flyer after helping one of the group getting his trimmed out and having a bit of a play myself. We have a new hill to fly off as well as our flat fields and with some rough grass and scrub did not want to risk it with larger built up gliders.
Bought through HK, US$75 plus shipping.
I am impressed, flies great..I thought I would have to do a series of mods with larger motor, carbon blades etc...but I am going to leave it alone fot the time being. The motor prop combination is smooth and balanced and using a 2200 3 cell gave me good COG straight away. Comes down all nice and warm only.. I dont know if side air "cutouts" and metal plate in front of the engine mount were on original but some of the standard features should be a lesson to other manufacturers.
Fitted up the flaps last night and going to have another play this morning.
Regards
Tony
Biggles51 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles51