HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2012, 04:17 AM
Rebelliously devoid of tattoos
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
What happened to my 'took the words right out of my scoop' post, with pix & comments on venting?!? Did they offend someone & I got censored???
Mods usually send a private message when a post is problematic in some way. I never saw anything recent from you on vents, so perhaps the post never registered with the server in the first place?
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 05:31 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,443 Posts
I did my usual post-post re-read before heading out to the club field, & actually, went back & edited the caption on one of the pix, so I know it was there. You cannot totally delete a post in here so, ....odds bodskins - where could it have gone?
??
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2012, 09:24 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,649 Posts
Quote:
What happened to my 'took the words right out of my scoop' post, with pix & comments on venting?!? Did they offend someone & I got censored???
Did you mistakenly post it in another thread?

Ted
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old May 21, 2012, 10:17 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,191 Posts
I trimmed down the bolts of the aileron/flap horns as they stick out quite a lot of the top plastic and that can play havoc if you for example storage the wings together (actually i have had allready a dent in one wich looks suspiciously like that)

Used the dremmel to trim down tought it wasnt as easy as expected
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old May 21, 2012, 01:07 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Did you mistakenly post it in another thread?
Ted
That's the 2nd thing I thought of; checked the few others where I participate, not there. Something very similar happened to me before - in my early days here and on this same board, come to think of it. Seems it was my like, only 2nd, then 3rd posts, or might've been the first & 2nd.....completely POOF! I really thought somebody was screwin' with me, got pretty miffed about it.

On the other hand, I've made posts, come back later for responses & seen other posts below mine......still later those other posts have jumped above mine. ??? I've seen posted times get out of order later. As well, and this'n MANY times, gone back a page or two & found one or more responses that are there that, (and I keep up with all posts where I participate), were flat out NOT there the first time thru. It's like, the board has gone to a new page & just continued along, and posts get added into past pages! That happened quite a few times on AJ's board.

Oh and, the 1st thing I thought of, in case ur wonderin'....waited awhile to see if the vanished one suddenly reappeared. Seen that happen too.

Computer magic.
I'll give it a bit & see if anything happens, else try to recreate it. Still got the photos I took, anyway....that's mostly what it was about.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2012, 01:35 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,649 Posts
JFM, as they say about 'puters and electronics!

Probably best to repost since you have the pictures. I'd like to see what you had to say.

Thanx,

Ted
Old May 22, 2012, 04:27 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,443 Posts
Well, first I'd said "Philosan, you took the words right outta my scoops". Then something to the effect I'd meant to post these back when it was topical but didn't get to take the pix I wanted, & the thread was moving pretty quickly and it slipped my mind. And, so, now's as good an opportunity as any to show them off, along with a li'l side-benefit only realized after installation; in that they also provided clearance which prevents the prop blade from snagging on the canopy bottom edge.

I never actually encountered the problem myself (point of reference - when the issue had been brought up in here some time back) but I had checked it back then & found only the smooth transition one would expect. I suggested for those with the issue, a possible cure: Heat the canopy mildly with a heat gun or possibly a few hours in the sun then quickly wrap it with rubber banding or somesuch so's to increase its inward curvature....[edit: let cool, remove banding & see if it held the added curvature] and if there was still any protrusion to perhaps take the X-Acto or Dremel to it.

Then, that 'Anyway, here's some pix of mine which show the low frontal area presented by my intake scoops, as well as the prop/canopy clearance they provide as a side-benefit. And as well, the venting exhaust holes I'd added to the canopy (without exhaust, it isn't really 'venting'), and noted that they practically had to be placed at this point to take advantage of the Venturi effect from the canopy's airfoil shape, and any farther rearward & they'd be blocked by the fuse top section forward of the wing mount. And finally, that I'd drilled those with a 1/4" drill angled rearward from the inside, & smoothed with an X-Acto.

There's a couple other small detals I can't recall but that was pretty much it. Hope it's beneficial for some of you and, here's the photos:
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; May 22, 2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old May 22, 2012, 04:32 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,443 Posts
Wanta hear a good one? I re-posted the same post - exact words, pix & captions, and it too disappeared! Fortunately I'd composed it off-board, & just had to re-copy & paste it for the 3rd time....looks like it finally stuck!
Hmmmm....maybe I'm being haunted by the ghost of my Phoenix?!?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2012, 08:15 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,649 Posts
Quote:
<snip>
Hmmmm....maybe I'm being haunted by the ghost of my Phoenix?!?
What? Is your Phoenix history?

Ted
Old May 22, 2012, 05:42 PM
windyhill
United States, AZ, Kingman
Joined Jan 2009
84 Posts
cealing hanger

here is a way to hang on the cealing away from everything, made from a steel coat hanger
desertdog1 is offline Find More Posts by desertdog1
Old May 22, 2012, 07:53 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
What? Is your Phoenix history?
Ted
It is until I can get some bloody new wings for it!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 03:54 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,443 Posts
Speaking of scoops.....
Not just for the P2K but any plane where you might need some, something a bit out of the ordinary offers a variety of scoop shapes, if one will explore the possibilities offered by the plastic Chinese soup spoons. The front of the spoon gives one shape, the rear, another, & that with a segment from the channel-shaped handle, still another....as well as the handle itself where channeling might be needed.
Check it out!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 05:32 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,649 Posts
Quote:
Speaking of scoops.....
Not just for the P2K but any plane where you might need some, something a bit out of the ordinary offers a variety of scoop shapes, if one will explore the possibilities offered by the plastic Chinese soup spoons. The front of the spoon gives one shape, the rear, another, & that with a segment from the channel-shaped handle, still another....as well as the handle itself where channeling might be needed.
Check it out!
Good ideas SH. You could also use the front and back parts (not cut) with just the handle cut off for a fairing. Maybe we could have a dumpster diving contest to find other innovative improvised goodies to improve our models.

Ted
Old May 23, 2012, 05:33 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,649 Posts
Quote:
It is until I can get some bloody new wings for it!
Ouch! Good luck and let us know if you find some.

Ted
Old May 25, 2012, 12:01 AM
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
Hi,

I have managed to lose the 4 screws that bolt the wings to the fuse. Appreciated if someone can post the two sizes.

Thanks
mgbolts is offline Find More Posts by mgbolts