Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:56 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
SH,

Yup. Took delivery several weeks ago in fact. I have all of the electronics and bits gathered and set aside but it's still in the build queue for now. Hangar space is another problem now as well.
Ted
Well heck - c'mon guy! You gotta get that thing built & hung to make sure you got space, then finish the insignificant smaller mots & hang 'em around it! Priorities, priorities! And making efficient uses of the time-space continuum!
'S what it's all about dood!

Or.....I'll "store" some of 'em for ya. Bring it!!!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:01 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Well heck - c'mon guy! You gotta get that thing built & hung to make sure you got space, then finish the insignificant smaller mots & hang 'em around it! Priorities, priorities! And making efficient uses of the time-space continuum!
'S what it's all about dood!

Or.....I'll "store" some of 'em for ya. Bring it!!!
Well, space is tight. I just finished the build of a 3D kit I've had for over 3 years after making room, err... retiring, err... OK, crashing my F-14. I may have to wait on the "retirement" of my Bixler before building the P2K but it's like the pink bunny.

Question for ya on mounting the motor. I'll be using this one from HK:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2105

It has a 12mm long shaft. What is the collective wisdom for the layup of the firewall bits? From back to front I'm considering; motor-plywood disc-fuselage-metal disc. I would like to sandwich the fiber disc between the fuselage and metal but don't think the motor shaft is long enough to allow that. What say you?

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:40 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,344 Posts
Well thats it... building complete.. the Phoenix 2000 is finish and workin.. maiden spected for saturday..

Unfortunatelly when i was balancing the plane i came across a big dissapointmen.. dont know how you guys have this..

-I put the plane into the balancer with a 2200 3S .. plane was quite nose heavy.. to the point i had to push the 3S all way back until it contacted the servo tray.. the CG is those 2 marked spots behind the plywood support isnt it? I have a 2S arround so i used it and managed to balance it but still putting it quite a lot back.. im thinking in using the 2S in maiden... this 2836-1000 motor is said by many to be more like a 1200-1400Kv motor than 1000... so a 2S would be nearer a real 3S 1000Kv.. dont know

-Plane final weight without painting or stickers with the 2836-1000 and a 2200 3S was 1200g.. using the 2S i managed to keep it down to like 1130 or so.. its this normal? empty weight was 980-1000 like the box/manual says but without any battery at all

-I setup crow airbrakes (so easy with the Futaba 7C... tought unfortunatelly they work in on-off fashion.. no option to regulate them with the rotary knob or something.. also setup flaps and reflex.. reflex is raising slighty both flaps right?.. also found the snap-flap function .. wich uses flaps with elevator.. this is supose to help in snap turns but i saw that it works two ways.. it lowers the flaps when elevator up and raises them when elevator down.. this last option doesnt seem to make much sense..
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:04 PM
Certified Wingnut
Delta BC
Joined Jul 2008
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Question for ya on mounting the motor. I'll be using this one from HK:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2105

Ted
Personally, I would use a more powerful motor. That one is only good to a max of 20A. If You use a 10x6 or even a 9x5.5 prop, I'm pretty sure you'll pull more than 20A. This is the motor many of us are using:
http://www.hobbyking.com/UNITEDHOBBI...idProduct=8139
It is good to 27A or 300W.
LanceMc is offline Find More Posts by LanceMc
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:09 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceMc View Post
Personally, I would use a more powerful motor. That one is only good to a max of 20A. If You use a 10x6 or even a 9x5.5 prop, I'm pretty sure you'll pull more than 20A. This is the motor many of us are using:
http://www.hobbyking.com/UNITEDHOBBI...idProduct=8139
It is good to 27A or 300W.
I appreciate your recommendation. Although I saw in earlier posts that it seemed to be the most popular, I chose the one I did for two reasons. First, it was closest to the weight of the stock motor and with the problems many have had making CG it seemed like a good idea. Second, I'm not planning to build this one for scorching performance and want to avoid scorching the firewall. I'm looking instead for more of a sailplane as opposed to a warmliner. I can always change my mind later if it disappoints for any reason. I have other planes to go zoom, zoom.

Ted
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:20 AM
Redwood City, CA USA
Joined Mar 2002
495 Posts
Great to see all of the new videos and posts of new P2Ks coming online.

Following up from several pages back, the nylon wing bolts arrived a couple weeks ago and have worked well with the stock P2K so far. Same amount of friction to screw them in as for the stock bolts.

Also, been happy using the Turnigy 20C 1000mAh 3S pack (87g) velcro'd at the rear end of the battery tray with CG at around 84mm. Recently ordered new 950mAh nano-tech 25C 3S pack (69g) to try next - looking to reduce AUW weight even more and velcro pack closer to middle of battery tray.
planekrazy is offline Find More Posts by planekrazy
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:25 AM
France
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
Hi there,

Wanted to share you a good day of sloping yesterday with the phoenix:

Hobby King Phoenix 2000 slope session at Beynes. (3 min 41 sec)
traumkumy is offline Find More Posts by traumkumy
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:14 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traumkumy View Post
Hi there,

Wanted to share you a good day of sloping yesterday with the phoenix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPbnnyw8Jc0
Nice flying, pretty countryside and great composition/editing. Well done all around.

Ted
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:56 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
-I put the plane into the balancer with a 2200 3S .. plane was quite nose heavy.. to the point i had to push the 3S all way back until it contacted the servo tray.. the CG is those 2 marked spots behind the plywood support isnt it? I have a 2S arround so i used it and managed to balance it but still putting it quite a lot back.. im thinking in using the 2S in maiden... this 2836-1000 motor is said by many to be more like a 1200-1400Kv motor than 1000... so a 2S would be nearer a real 3S 1000Kv.. dont know

-Plane final weight without painting or stickers with the 2836-1000 and a 2200 3S was 1200g.. using the 2S i managed to keep it down to like 1130 or so.. its this normal? empty weight was 980-1000 like the box/manual says but without any battery at all
Sorry for quote myself and being a bit pedantic.. but i would thanks any insight into this.. maiden is tomorrow and im almost out of time to make any more mod/fixes.. as in a couple of hours i will head to night shift and i will go to maiden after i wake up at lunch hour tomorrow..

It puzzles me that many people is using 2200 but i find that using a 2200 makes this quite a lot nose heavy even putting it all the way back..
Also got surprised by the empty weight (all except batt) of just 1kg.. thats the flying weight anouced in the box.. even removing the 2 flap servos and using a 50g motor instead this 80g one we only save 60g ... the smallest recomended battery (3S 1300mAh) is like 120g wich would still make the plane in the near 1100
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JLT_GTI; Apr 20, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:17 PM
France
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
JLT_GTI: Don't headache yourself, juste make it fly. The original setup is really nose heavy, but measure it to be sure your not too far from the recommended GC.

And last thing, don't worry about your weight, mine weights >1100 without battery, because of the heavy mod of the wing latching, and flies really well.

Ted: Many thanks
traumkumy is offline Find More Posts by traumkumy
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:21 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
I moved the battery tray back as far as it would go. Itīs not very far though.

I use 1300 and 1500 mAh batteries because I feel that 2200 would be too nose heavy but I havenīt actually tried 2200 in the air.
Freddan is offline Find More Posts by Freddan
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:31 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,674 Posts
Balancing the P2K

I'm composing this offline so, not sure I'll cover all the questions asked but for my 2Ē worth:

Anyone who has followed this thread cannot have missed my trials & tribulations re the published vs recommended vs actual vs practical Flying Weight (AUW), and getting that weight located in the best position -- ie, finding a 'new' CoG if it came to that. I've established (herein) that the specified 'Flying Weight' can NOT be correct for the powered version - it's what the plane weighs without a battery! Perhaps that recommended weight is for the non-powered set-up -- I don't know. But wouldn't you think it a bit odd that, considering how much a motor/prop/LiPo/ESC weighs, that the Specs don't specify a powered and non-powered AUW?

I've even published (herein) AUW's using various combinations of LiPos of different brands, in 1300, 1800, and 2200mAh sizes, along with where each pack had to be located on the battery tray in order to balance with relation to the published CoG. The info's in the thread if you want to see it.

If I were to write an article on assembling the P2K, the very first instruction would be to remove the battery tray, and lengthen the slots along the sides for the LiPo girt-strap to ~45mm overall length towards the rear, so you could slide the strap back to where it would grip the LiPo when it's correctly positioned. Or, to visualize what is neccessary, place a 2200mAh pack on the battery tray and slide it back to where its rear-most end slightly overhangs the large opening in the rear of the tray. Then move the holding strap back to properly grip it, and you'll be pretty well on the money afa balancing any size LiPo (1300-2200, possibly larger) you'd want to try.

At least, that's what worked for my P2K....and if I'd just gone ahead & bit the bullet & done it from the git-go, setting mine up to balance & fly well would have been much easier! The problem is, balancing with your LiPo is one of the last steps you do, once the plane is all together. And there's no practical way you could know that slot-lengthening step would be very helpful had you known it before you started the build, until it's kind've 'too late'.

More on the subject (building), later.....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Apr 20, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:03 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,674 Posts
My first experience with RCGroups was to look for info on an airplane I had just bought. The fates were smiling on me that day, as I found a thread dedicated to that very plane - the SkySurfer/Bixler - and the OP/thread-starter had had the foresight to keep the first page open & flexible so, as good ideas came up about building & setting up the plane, that info could be added or edited as new methods & gear were discovered.

I know many, just as I, are a bit 'overwhelmed' by all the info that's available here in RCG. But even narrowing it down to one dedicated thread, finding specific info you're seeking can be daunting -- even with the above-average Search tool we have. How many times have you seen the comment "....don't have the time to read all 895 posts", yada yada yada.....know what I'm sayin'?

Startin' to see the picture, how having the phrase "Read page 1 & 2 of this thread before asking questions" can be a two-edged blessing? That particular thread I mentioned has as of today 14,625 posts. Got time to read all those, looking for something such as AUW or CG specs? That thread is far & away the most 'popular' or I guess I might say, 'populated', or 'busiest' in the whole RCG forum. That 'foresight' picture clearin' up a little for ya now, bubby?

Anyone who buys a SS/Bix (is the vernacular) can come to that thread, & in one evening have enough concise info right there in front of him or her to build that plane, with detailed instructions for making almost every mod recommended that will make it a great-flyiing, practically bullet-proof RC plane.

I've asked previously for the OP/thread-starter for this P2K thread, but got no response. I wanted to recommend he either set up a similar 'Page 1' setup here, or whatever action so someone here (or we) could maintain it as that other thread I cited. What it boils down to is, making the 'Page 1' a kind've 'FAQ' section, specific to this particular airplane. If anyone knows a way we could initiate this - presuming we'd want to - I'd help any way I could.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:15 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,178 Posts
StarHopper, I know of you and I agree with everything you just said. (I enjoy all your posts)

The SkySurfer/Bixler/AXN is indeed a thread that is very well run.

However the man who out strips everyone is Tom Frank with his KeyCam 808 #11 #16 #18 threads!!

I hope the OP of this thread reads what you just said and does something, but if he's no longer interested what can be done!?
- We (you!!) start a new thread! -

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:50 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traumkumy View Post
Hi there,

Wanted to share you a good day of sloping yesterday with the phoenix...
Awesome video, traumkumy. Looks like you have a perfect slope site for flying, if the wind is typically from that direction.

I'm STILL waiting for weather warm-up / wind die-down here, so I can maiden my P2K (as well as another ship). I flew a few times a few weeks ago, but had to land when I could no longer feel my fingers because of the cold/wind. I don't have one of those 'transmitter mittens' .

--
Greg
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism