HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:37 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,331 Posts
Never flew the radian and admit that the T-tail is quite apealing to me.. but its a 100% EPP plane where the P2K only has EPP surfaces .. that should put it in a diferent cathegory ... i have seen and know people who flew the P2K in quite strong slope wind conditions and it handled it perfectly fine..

I know a guy here who flies a Radian ... he didnt talked good things about it and actually he ended up swaping its wings for a EasyGlider wings (other guy gave them to him after he totalled his EzG) and he sais the wings improved the radian a lot..

dont know as reviews usually put the Radian on par with the EzG
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:39 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
There's something to be said about trusting reviews, depending on who's giving 'em. You've got "pro" reviewers whose 'livlihood' depends on keeping the suppliers happy, so every POS that's churned out is a "gem"......and on the other hand, the "it's great because _I_ own one" types, or 'fanboys'. Best I can suggest is read a lot, & take 'em all with a grain o' salt. The ol' tried-&-true "more samplings tell a truer tale" bit. That's one of the best things about sites like RCG here - you've got a good cross section of opinions, from noobs to the seasoned old pros whom, BTW, I'll listen to ten times as readily as someone with a motive.

AFA T-Tails....my concerns with 'em are the things I've read about their not surviving side-forces very well, as in imperfect landings....that they tend to 'flip off'. Not that I haven't been flipped off before. I'll even go so far as to say there's been a couple planes I've shied off getting because they had T-Tails.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:50 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,563 Posts
A bit OT but....why is it the BEST deals come up when you're near stone broke?? Here I'm trying to scrape together enough to get "that" plane I mentioned, & this morning I get a "best deals under $99" mailer, & going thru the listings I swear I could spend $4-5,000 easily on stuff I'd love to have! *sigh* So many planes, so little time.....so even littler money available. *LOL* It's a cryin' shame, 's what it is!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:53 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
751 Posts
Quote:
Never flew the radian and admit that the T-tail is quite apealing to me.. but its a 100% EPP plane where the P2K only has EPP surfaces .. that should put it in a diferent cathegory ... i have seen and know people who flew the P2K in quite strong slope wind conditions and it handled it perfectly fine..

I know a guy here who flies a Radian ... he didnt talked good things about it and actually he ended up swaping its wings for a EasyGlider wings (other guy gave them to him after he totalled his EzG) and he sais the wings improved the radian a lot..

I own them both, and I fly them both.......

Phoenix 2000:
- Straight wing with tips
- Connected by 4 screws to top of fuselage
- Blow molded fuse
- Elevator/rudder setup with bolts without play
- Strong foam (It is a lot tougher then Radian Pro)
- Flight: Very good glider, it's fast but not such a good floater as RP. Can handle good in winds.

Radian Pro:
- Wings are completely different shape
- Wing connected in middle of fuse
- Fuselage is foam, it's a lot softer then the Phoenix. Tail section is not stiff at all. I had it broken and fixed again.
- Elevator/rudder shift-in with tape, horizontal stabilizer half the thickness of Phoenix.
- Flight: I use it on those windless, beautiful days and you have to be careful not to lose it. It thermals great!

Both planes have their goods and bads.....For the price I think the Phoenix is unbeatable. Don't think the Radian doesn't need any modifications: I changed the prop, spinner, and just about every Horizon servo on board.
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Last edited by BarnOwl; Apr 12, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:10 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,563 Posts
Nice comparison, Barney....thanx for sharing.
What do you mean by "Elevator/rudder shift-in with tape..." ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:43 PM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Nice comparison, Barney....thanx for sharing.
What do you mean by "Elevator/rudder shift-in with tape..." ?
It means the hor. stabilizer from the Radian Pro is held in place with tape.
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:53 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,331 Posts
Sorry for this bit of offtopic and sad news ..

Two guys died last weekend really really near here (like 10km away from my house) after falling into a river trying to recover a RC plane wich had fallen in a tree in the middle of a river.. one of them had doned a neophren suit and used a rope but the currents got him and the other tried to rescue him..

So be carefull if you have to rescue a plane.. i know because i have gone down a cliff to recover a friend's plane once and i know guys who swom in the sea... you never know when things might spiral out of control really fast

Edit: BTW.. forget what i said about the Radian... my mind fooled me and i was thinking in the Elektro Junior when it was the Radian.. so the opinions locals shared with me were obviously on the Junior not the Radian
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JLT_GTI; Apr 12, 2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:54 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,331 Posts
Well finally my Phoenix 2K arrived .. seems to come with lots of accesories..

I have couple of questions...

-Where do people usually put the ESC? right bellow the batt ? I have to solder the terminals and connectors for the motor and ESC and i like to know that so i know if i have to lenght the ESC wires or can work as it is now (now its enought so it would sit right bellow the batt)

-Im using a 2836-1000 motor (wich seems more like 1400kv).. i allready swaped the collet adaptor for the 4mm the 2836 comes with... i see the kit comes with 3 firewalls.. one metal , one plywood and a smalle one indeterminated (fiberglass?) wich one of the should i use?

-Due to my house and my car i have no choice but to carry and storage the wings separated in 2 pieces.. the instructions say the wings are joined by a spar ..then one plywood strip bolted and then to the plane with 4 bolts... i asume that to carry the wings separated i have to unbolt 2 of the plywood strip' and rescrew them every flight? Is that ok with this plywood and theese bolts?

I will also use a 3-5A UBEC since the ESC BEC is 2A and i think 6 servos can go beyond that
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:11 AM
It's supposed to fly that way?
Spain, AL, Zurgena
Joined Mar 2011
107 Posts
My ESC (HobbyWing Petium 60 + 3amp UBEC as I'm using flaps) are located under the battery tray. I've used cut-down plastic spoons over the nostril intakes to improve the airflow, seems to work for me so far! My motor is a KD 2217-20T 22A 860Kv (220W), so I used ALL the firewalls supplied because of the reported weakness of the plastic if it gets hot! Again, so far no problems! The wing fixings are probably the only downside to this model, as it is VERY easy to round out the supplied crossheads, both on the stiffening strip and the wing mountings! I've substituted socket cap heads for them, and bought myself a small electric screwdriver! A recent mid-air snapped both wings off at the plastic mountings and though I've repaired and flown them again, I'm glad I've got a spare pair to build up!
Philosan1 is offline Find More Posts by Philosan1
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:57 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,331 Posts
Thanks...

Also.. i take Nylon is transparent to radio frequency as well ? (to run a 35mhz antenna inside)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Thanks...

Also.. i take Nylon is transparent to radio frequency as well ? (to run a 35mhz antenna inside)
Yes, nylon, plastics, fiberglass, etc. are fine. No carbon or metals, however, but you know that.

Ted
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
Last edited by G550Ted; Apr 14, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:50 AM
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jun 2006
524 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys!!!
flashprash65 is offline Find More Posts by flashprash65
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:45 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,331 Posts
Couple last questions about the firewalls mounting

-We have a plywood firewall.. a fiberglass one (i think) and a metal one..

How are you guys mounting them? the plywood one inside and the metal one outside? ..i have readed the dreadfull histories about motors melting the front firewall ... im using the 2836 wich is a 300W motor .

-would open the "extra ventilation" holes (like the ones in the mounts) in the front plastic (nylon) firewall be any worth using the stock spinner?

-Its the stock prop 10X6? I have arround also some aeronaut folding blades.. some 9X4 and a 11X4.. wonder if they would be more adecuate than the 10X6 ... they would be slower in top speed but as this is a glider and not a hotliner the 9X4 should decrease the max power drain and the 11X4 should increase thrust tought power drain should be similar

-Those who added the scoops in the front vent holes with spoons... have noticed the increased drag?

-The tail surfaces go bolted ... shoud i add glue to them or are they strong enought with the bolts alone..
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:09 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,708 Posts
Quote:
How are you guys mounting them? the plywood one inside and the metal one outside? ..i have readed the dreadfull histories about motors melting the front firewall ... im using the 2836 wich is a 300W motor .
I think one really has to "try" in order to actually melt the firewall. Before I fixed up the nose of my P2K I ran the stock motor a bit too long a couple of times and ended up being unable to touch it (the motor) - that's how hot it was a few seconds after coming down. And yet, the stock firewall was fine. Based on that experience my guess is that melting through the firewall would take some dedicated WOT action, even with an upgraded motor (which presumably doesn't have to get much hotter for the same amount of oomph).

Quote:
-Its the stock prop 10X6? I have arround also some aeronaut folding blades.. some 9X4 and a 11X4.. wonder if they would be more adecuate than the 10X6 ... they would be slower in top speed but as this is a glider and not a hotliner the 9X4 should decrease the max power drain and the 11X4 should increase thrust tought power drain should be similar
Yes, the stock prop is a 10x6. Those props with 4" pitch might be slow to get the plane up high, but at least it'll be able to do it vertically

IMHO the 10x6 is a good fit. Quick and quiet operation when desired, and slow-speed cuising at low throttle settings.

Quote:
-The tail surfaces go bolted ... shoud i add glue to them or are they strong enought with the bolts alone..
Personally, I don't think it's necessary until and unless extra reinforcement is called for after a crash. The bolts seem plenty strong.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:17 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,331 Posts
Man this building manual is pathetic.. im having trouble with the main building because it just says "screw the bolt" but omits what bolt goes there and there are like 4 or 5 diferent sizes..

for example.. wich screws go in the vertical stab? because i tried two sizes and both go throught and doesnt bite anything

Also even after bolting the tail the entire tail surfaces has some play in yaw ..like 0.5cm each side and its easily moved ... i think i will have to glue it
RCG Plus Member