Old Apr 08, 2012, 03:06 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
813 Posts
Paint for Orientation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
At last!

Modeltronic finally stocked the Phoenix 2000 (also in PnP version but since i allready have the electronics...) so i placed the order and i expect it to arrive next week... tought probably wont maiden it until maybe 2 weeks from now ..

Now to decide what color scheme to use.. i still have a plane since almost 6 months unpainted (only the red tail) wich i want to paint but cant decide yet how...

I do have to decorate the Phoenix since there is allready other in the slope and some more nearby so the chance of simultaneously flight is quite there..
Make sure bottom of wings is A DARK COLOUR blue Blk etc or at least some

WIDE DARK stripes

for the Tail [rudder ] I used the Tamiya X orange The above Helps me to Orientate myself as to which is UP or Down

Top of wing at the tips , I used the bright orange

...te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Last edited by Tom Eutsler; Apr 08, 2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: missing letter
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 03:35 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,140 Posts
eosglider,

More to what StarHopper said about covering the AV/TX on the wing, I thinking also maybe ya could cover the camera module the a 600ml plastic bottle of coke cut off and use the end with the cap and put it over the camera module it to make more streamline?

And about your 'cheapo' FPV setup, how much did it actually cost and where did you get it from?
I was thinking of getting a cheapo outfit from Hobby King - Camera & 5.8Ghz TX plus those $90 low resolution (428x240) goggles they have, just to experiment/screw around with to see if I like it enough t maybe get decent gear (FatShark) later on if I think it worth really getting into.

Also I agree with both of you about uploading posting your own video's.
I'm the same I have hours and hours of video that also say to myself, Okay, one day I'll edit all the boring crap out (95% of it!) and upload it, but I never can be bothered with it, so I'm normally the only one who ends up watching it.
Gezz, I even have a few crashes and a crash with lipo fire that I REALLY should get around editing and putting up.

B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:19 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
I couldn't help envisioning bugs getting plastered on....maybe causing a short & frying the whole rig *LOL*.
Funny you should mention a short. It actually happened right after the first flight out once I landed on wet grass. Some droplets hit the board (and lens too) and freaked out the camera image on the screen. I dried it with my shirt and all was good again. I then was very careful and hand caught 2 of the other landings and last landing I pancaked it in so no moisture hit the cam, so as you can see I'm concerned but it's nothing a bit of tape can't fix for next time.

Quote:
How's it working for you? Are you anticipating housing it somehow?
As I said before other than the short range and the need for a wider view, it worked out OK. I plan to change both those items and improve the experience. As far as housing the 1/3 CCD cam, I don't think I am, although the suggestion to use the neck of a soda bottle sounds interesting so I might try that.

Also, previously failed to mention my "cheapo" base station which consists of:
- An old 7" LCD TV (with RCA video input) which I picked up for $20 on Craigslist.
- A heavy 5Ah 12V SLA battery I had laying around from an old project.
- The cheapo RX from HK.
- All wired and housed inside a handy old roller case that came from a dead InFocus projector compliments of the garbage bin at work, which evan came with the foam pockets I've made use of nicely.

I find it didn't take much to get started.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:41 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
And about your 'cheapo' FPV setup, how much did it actually cost and where did you get it from?
I was thinking of getting a cheapo outfit from Hobby King - Camera & 5.8Ghz TX plus those $90 low resolution (428x240) goggles they have, just to experiment/screw around with to see if I like it enough t maybe get decent gear (FatShark) later on if I think it worth really getting into.
Bill,
I ended up getting the 900Mhz 200mw NTSC Hobby King package kit that included the 1/3 ccd cam, Video TX, Video RX, related wires and those humongous antennas as you can see in my previous pics. I paid about $65 for that kit including shipping. Hence... "El Cheapo".

It's this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13438
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:33 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
eosglider,
Also I agree with both of you about uploading posting your own video's.
I'm the same I have hours and hours of video that also say to myself, Okay, one day I'll edit all the boring crap out (95% of it!) and upload it, but I never can be bothered with it, so I'm normally the only one who ends up watching it.
Gezz, I even have a few crashes and a crash with lipo fire that I REALLY should get around editing and putting up.
B!LL!
Now you really do have to post the "crash with lipo fire" vid. Such videos always get lots of hits especially as you have got both "crash" and "fire" in the title - should make it a winner. Try to keep vids under 3 mins but I've been guilty of posting longer ones. Hey, my last one in post 1565 above ran for 5:45 as I couldn't bring myself to fade Freebird out any earlier.
My main gripe is editing with Windows Movie Maker that comes with Vista. Easy to use but every time I hit the create movie button it hangs. I have to use Task Manager to close the sucker down and when I re-open the prog it's usually lost all of my titles and transitions I think I'll have to save the project just prior to the create stage so at least it should re-load the complete project.
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:10 AM
Finland, Nastola
Joined Jul 2006
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtradiocontrol View Post

KEEP IN MIND: These instructions will only work if your esc is the same as the one that is being sold through economy rc.....

Thank you for your ESC programming instructions. Works perfectly for me and my Phoenix Evolution

Phoenix has flied couple times already. I prefer more to the short wing because it's more fun to fly in these conditions what I have at here. But I tested the bigger wing with the flaps in use. Here's couple videos of the flight of a Evolution.

Bear me with the quality of videos. Those are filmed by my 7 year old son whos camera skills are not so sophisticated. And that's also why videos are cut from here and there.

Phoenix Evolution 2600 wingspan

Phoenix Evolution 1600 wingspan

edit: Ouh, forgot to mention the setup:

- Turnigy 2836-1000kv (300W) motor
- Graupner CAM 9x6 with aluminium spinner
- HK 35A ESC
- Stock/default servos

And here's video how it pulls amp/watts out -> Phoenix current draw

Now I changed the stock ESC back because I had some problems with that HK ESC which I mentioned above.
Spoogy is offline Find More Posts by Spoogy
Last edited by Spoogy; Apr 09, 2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:43 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,140 Posts
esoglider: Thanks for the info. I'll be looking into getting a new FPV one these days. My current system is only good for about 50metres, so I just use it on the 4x4 buggy and drive it out and around the shed/workshop and watch the received picture on the TV. It's still a bit of fun. Can't wait to get into the air doing it.

Headless: Yeah, I should to learn edit properly (I've got heaps of programs for doing it, but never mastered any of them, I might just stick with Windows Movie Make (the XP one) and did up all my old videos and make composite of the best parts.

The lipo fire thing is not really that dramatic, it's mostly just the smoke and it's hard to see any thing really as we so busy trying to avoid a bush fire and get the plane back to the pits to pour water on it all you see is sky, ground and hands in the way, was not paying to much attention to where the cameras were aimed.

B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:11 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,619 Posts
Couple of bits here....
I've got boatloads of videos I've shot - even with up to 3 keycams aboard & another HD Flip'r on my hat-cam rig. But my problem is, the Great & Majestic MICROSUCK "upgraded" my Win MediaPlayer without asking & no warning, & basically crippled everything on my computer media graphics-related. Changed CODECs & screwed drivers I can't get replaced...pretty good chunk o' change (prolly 3-4 airplanes worth) wasted in ways you can't even imagine, not to mention the time lost. Bottom line is I now can't even begin to run any kind of editor, can't view several common file types - my 'puter locks up & crashes within a minute or two....and I mean next-reboot Safe Mode HARD crashes & half a day to restore. GAWD I LOVE MICROSUCK!!! Bastids!
So....basically gotta make a point of avoiding that kinda stuff.

Meanwhile, lotta footage gone to waste -- but I don't have any from the Phoenix. Something I really want to do from the high altitude but, since I can't process it I've about completely quit even shooting it.

Meanwhile....back at the ranch. *heh heh* I've pretty possibly got an EVO in the works! Will know something by end of the month....concurrent with the 'deal' to get new wings for the P2K. And that ain't the end of it! I've found a new glider I've slam got the HOTS for. This baby's both beautiful, and tough! A little spendier but not that much more than the P2K....freight's the killer for now. But soon's they arrive I'm gonna gotta limber up the ol' plastic, I'm afraid!

(It's a sickness!!)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:45 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
491 Posts
Quote:
Couple of bits here....
I've got boatloads of videos I've shot - even with up to 3 keycams aboard & another HD Flip'r on my hat-cam rig. But my problem is, the Great & Majestic MICROSUCK "upgraded" my Win MediaPlayer without asking & no warning, & basically crippled everything on my computer media graphics-related. Changed CODECs & screwed drivers I can't get replaced...pretty good chunk o' change (prolly 3-4 airplanes worth) wasted in ways you can't even imagine, not to mention the time lost. Bottom line is I now can't even begin to run any kind of editor, can't view several common file types - my 'puter locks up & crashes within a minute or two....and I mean next-reboot Safe Mode HARD crashes & half a day to restore. GAWD I LOVE MICROSUCK!!! Bastids!
So....basically gotta make a point of avoiding that kinda stuff.

Meanwhile, lotta footage gone to waste -- but I don't have any from the Phoenix. Something I really want to do from the high altitude but, since I can't process it I've about completely quit even shooting it.

Meanwhile....back at the ranch. *heh heh* I've pretty possibly got an EVO in the works! Will know something by end of the month....concurrent with the 'deal' to get new wings for the P2K. And that ain't the end of it! I've found a new glider I've slam got the HOTS for. This baby's both beautiful, and tough! A little spendier but not that much more than the P2K....freight's the killer for now. But soon's they arrive I'm gonna gotta limber up the ol' plastic, I'm afraid!

(It's a sickness!!)
SH,
I'll save my comment on MS my friend. I hear ya. Ever thought of going to the dark side with lets say Ubuntu? Painless to try. Easy to use. http://www.ubuntu.com/

Now, regarding that EVO... Any chance to just get a set of spare EVO wings in all this?

And regarding your new mystery glider... Don't keep us in suspense! More details please!

-Byron
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:33 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosglider View Post
SH,
I'll save my comment on MS my friend. I hear ya. Ever thought of going to the dark side with lets say Ubuntu? Painless to try. Easy to use. ...
Well, in a word, no. Since DOS (I'm that old ) all I've known is Windoze.
(If you don't count the Cobol, Fortran, Assembler, RPG, BASIC(A)...yeah, THAT old! )

Quote:
Now, regarding that EVO... Any chance to just get a set of spare EVO wings in all this?

And regarding your new mystery glider... Don't keep us in suspense! More details please!
-Byron
On the EVO wings only; no, it'll be a whole-plane deal. It's a used 'demo' unit....and part of a means to (hopefully) save on some freight costs from 'over there'. The whole deal's more complex than a Chinese fire drill....one of those things where if one small thing can't happen it'll screw up the whole deal, kinda thing.

And on the new 'mystery' plane....while I appreciate your interest, afraid I'm gonna have to hold onto that one a bit. Play it close to the vest, if you know what I mean. *LOL* Seriously, it's (afaik) new-ish, & there aren't that many around, yet. This might sound egotistical & I sure don't mean it to be, but I'm speaking from experience. For the few guys you/we see actively participating in our conversations here, believe me there are LOTS of 'silent ones' around the world who read these pages, that we never know about. 3 or 4 times I've mentioned something and seen them get sold out in a few hours and once in mere minutes...and I just don't want to risk that happening here. Call me selfish, but I want it THAT bad! It's bad enough I've gotta wait a few days to line up the shekels....but the last thing I want is for that to turn into several months waiting for re-stocking! Know'm sayin'? I'll be more than glad to share (hell, try to stop me! *VBG*) after I get my order in. Hope you understand.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:53 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
491 Posts
Quote:
Well, in a word, no. Since DOS (I'm that old ) all I've known is Windoze.
(If you don't count the Cobol, Fortran, Assembler, RPG, BASIC(A)...yeah, THAT old! )
Well, that's OK. They've made Ubuntu very similar to Windows now-a-days, and if you know how to download an ISO file and burn a CD with that file (yes, I said CD), you can easily try it right off that CD. No need to install it on your system at all. Everything in the Operating system will boot off the CD. Heck you can even remove your hard drive if you wanted to and everything will run off that CD for you to try it out. It really is a beautiful thing to see, and it's FAST!.

Quote:
I'll be more than glad to share (hell, try to stop me! *VBG*) after I get my order in. Hope you understand.
Totally understand and good luck. I have a hunch I might know what plane you're talking about, but I'll hold my breath just in case to help your cause.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:10 PM
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jun 2006
524 Posts
Can anyone tell me how this compares to the Radian Pro??

I just crashed my Sonic 185 and am looking for another powered sailplane that can thermal. I dont want something i have to do a ton of mods too either
flashprash65 is offline Find More Posts by flashprash65
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:25 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
813 Posts
Radian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashprash65 View Post

I just crashed my Sonic 185 and am looking for another powered sailplane that can thermal. I dont want something i have to do a ton of mods too either
I've read /heard , the
Radian is the better choice fyi ...................te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:07 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
I've read /heard , the
Radian is the better choice fyi ...................te
Oh my... this could get interesting.
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:20 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashprash65 View Post

IMO both the RP and the P2K are comparable flyers. One just costs more than the other but needs no mods. The other is less costly but you have to invest the time to make it perform similarly. So for me the tipping factor was the P2K's fuse. I really wanted to have all that space in there if I ever needed it.

Ultimately it's your call, but for me after my few mods which are minor since I did not change out the motor or stock ESC, the P2K is the better choice. My wallet liked it better too.