Enjoy the flight

Dancing with Aiolos (4 min 53 sec)

BP1011 is offline Find More Posts by BP1011
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:52 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
95 Posts
My goodness, there was some really great footage in there PB.
If I didn't already have one I dare say that video would convince me to get a Pheonix.
Nice work!
S.Bartfast is offline Find More Posts by S.Bartfast
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:24 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
I presume you are 'Aiolos'? Thanks for the dance! *LOL*
Indeed great footage, and outstanding job of editing also -- makes for some very entertaining viewing -- I even watched it twice! I like the yellow wing treatment....makes it look considerably like a different 'bird' than our standard Phoenix appearance, and very visible too.

Also thanks for sharing the exciting views of your great countryside! I absolutely LOVE these opportunities to share views from around the world that this sport has brought to me & us all! I still remember (regularly) the views Sean showed us of the beautiful area around Cork, as well as near the Spanish coast. These are all very special to me, and I thank you guys for them!

Clear Skies!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:39 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
I split this off from the above post as it was too different from the direct subject, & didn't want to detract from my appreciation for the great viewing. (Rain on the parade? *LOL*)

Having to do with visibility of Aiolo's yellow wing & the different look for the Phoenix:
In that vein, I have something I'll be doing with mine after my rebuild that I'll want to share. The look should be pretty unique if I can pull it off, yet very much in keeping with the 'Phoenix legend' theme.

The main hold-up: I'm still trying to get a new set of wings. There's something in the works but no definite answer as yet. But one probably VERY important part of what I might be able to do depends on one factor I'll need to determine, and it involves you guys here -- at least, in the USA & preferably but not absolutely, in the (arbitrary) eastern half.

Namely, it's very important I determine a number....so IF you were able to buy a new set of wings for your Phoenix 2000, how many of you would want to get in on the deal? FWIW, I'm not trying to make any money off anyone....just make them 1) available & 2) affordable! I'll even go so far as to advise, I've been told if I would buy 10 sets the deal would be VERY possible to make. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna want 2 sets myself so....who else is potentially in? Don't know pricing yet....we'll work that out before final commits but should be very reasonable.

Sign on by listing your screen name - location - number & we'll go from there!
StarHopper - East NC - 2 sets

Thanks guys!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:42 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,158 Posts
I thought I'd post my video of the Phoenix taking to the sky over my local park. Not as exotic as some locations but I'm pleased with the result. And yes, I do need to sort out the brake on my ESC.
It was shot using a #16 (FW18) on the wing and a #11 on the horizontal stab so a good comparison of the color saturation differences. It's a little on the long side and I apologise for fading the music. It would of ran for over 8 mins if I hadn't!
Phoenix 2000 electric glider (5 min 45 sec)

Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined May 2010
31 Posts
Aiolos

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
I presume you are 'Aiolos'? Thanks for the dance! *LOL*
Indeed great footage, and outstanding job of editing also -- makes for some very entertaining viewing -- I even watched it twice! I like the yellow wing treatment....makes it look considerably like a different 'bird' than our standard Phoenix appearance, and very visible too.

Also thanks for sharing the exciting views of your great countryside! I absolutely LOVE these opportunities to share views from around the world that this sport has brought to me & us all! I still remember (regularly) the views Sean showed us of the beautiful area around Cork, as well as near the Spanish coast. These are all very special to me, and I thank you guys for them!

Clear Skies!
Thanks for your good words.
Now Aiolos was the ruler of the winds in Greek mythology.
So my phoenix had a nice dance with the winds.
And this about sharing views from around the world is something I like very much too.
Have a nice flight day.
BP1011 is offline Find More Posts by BP1011
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:24 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
512 Posts
A bit off topic because it is about FPV and some may dislike the thought of doing this to such a slick glider like the P2K, but here it goes...

I did a quick and dirty foam/hotglue/tape for my FPV setup... Not too shabby. I put the VTX's battery in the slot next to the elevator and rudder servos standing up. I also tried to minimize drag as much as possible by covering up the hatch.

This is my first ever flight of my own FPV setup and the P2K performed the task on this rinky-dink setup mighty nicely! Very capable platform even with the stock power plant (I just cut the stock prop by 1" and rebalanced). I flew it with a 2200mah 3s for flight pack and 500mah 3s for Video gear right next to elevator and rudder servos. Balanced perfectly and climbed at about 30 degrees with no problem.

Once I was done testing all this, I took off the removable camera mount, VTX, and 500mah batt and flew the rest of the morning like normal with my 1300mah packs! I had a great saturday morning.

Now all I need is better antennas so I can get decent range. Oh, and also need a wider view... New lens coming.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Last edited by eosglider; Apr 02, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:00 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1011 View Post
Thanks for your good words.
Now Aiolos was the ruler of the winds in Greek mythology.
So my phoenix had a nice dance with the winds.
And this about sharing views from around the world is something I like very much too.
Have a nice flight day.
Thought I might ought to correct my poor editing which left an unfinished phrase, lest I slight someone. When I said "I still remember (regularly) the views Sean showed us of the beautiful area around Cork, as well as near the Spanish coast." I meant to say "...around Cork, as well as those (pictures) near the Spanish coast."

I'd also meant to mention earlier re the posts from Oviedo Spain that I have a long-time astronomer friend who lives near / works there -- I think he's done some local TV broadcasting there also -- Luis Arguelles. Does the gent who posted, perchance know Luis or know of him? (Small world! ? )

All this multi-tasking....or, my feeble attempts at it....don't always befit the abilities of an old man with memory problems! *LOL* It shows, not knowing 'Aiolos' as versed as we in astronomy should be in mythological characters. Can I get away with claiming, "It's all Greek to me?"

But anyway, nice entrance - and welcome! Looking forward to many more of you guys' excellent (and exciting!) pictures & movies!
Now, which way to the exit, again??
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Apr 02, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:17 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:
it's very important I determine a number....so IF you were able to buy a new set of wings for your Phoenix 2000, how many of you would want to get in on the deal? ...Sign on by listing your screen name - location - number & we'll go from there!

Sooooo.....nobody interested? Then I guess my work here is done!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:20 AM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
832 Posts
Many Wings

Quote:
Sooooo.....nobody interested? Then I guess my work here is done!
YOU must have the world market cornered , with all those sets of wings

You have ten sets ? wow Mine are fine having had lots of flights on the P2000

..............te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:33 PM
nph
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Oct 2010
184 Posts
Eosglider, when will we see the resulting video?
nph is offline Find More Posts by nph
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:04 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
YOU must have the world market cornered , with all those sets of wings

You have ten sets ? wow Mine are fine having had lots of flights on the P2000

..............te
How in the world can what I wrote be interpreted as my having 10 sets?

RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:31 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nph View Post
Eosglider, when will we see the resulting video?
I did not record video while I did the FPV flights. I don't have that capability with this cheapo setup. I also did not record those flights with my 808 keychain cam either. :-(

I did record the flights afterwards though with no FPV, but not posting those since they are not very interesting. Unfortunately captured at a bad angle from the wing to the nose. Don't like the way they came out.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:34 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosglider View Post
I did not record video while I did the FPV flights. I don't have that capability with this cheapo setup. I also did not record those flights with my 808 keychain cam either. :-(

I did record the flights afterwards though with no FPV, but not posting those since they are not very interesting. Unfortunately captured at a bad angle from the wing to the nose. Don't like the way they came out.
I understand that completely! After seeing so many (including some of my own product *the horror!* ) it does take a bit to get something you really like. Still, all in all there's not much I don't like seeing!

I've seen that particular camera setup like you have....considered it (for the price) but that bare circuit board standing out there all naked-like just scared me off. I couldn't help envisioning bugs getting plastered on....maybe causing a short & frying the whole rig *LOL*. You might not imagine it but - you don't know my luck!
How's it working for you? Are you anticipating housing it somehow?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:09 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,320 Posts
At last!

Modeltronic finally stocked the Phoenix 2000 (also in PnP version but since i allready have the electronics...) so i placed the order and i expect it to arrive next week... tought probably wont maiden it until maybe 2 weeks from now ..

Now to decide what color scheme to use.. i still have a plane since almost 6 months unpainted (only the red tail) wich i want to paint but cant decide yet how...

I do have to decorate the Phoenix since there is allready other in the slope and some more nearby so the chance of simultaneously flight is quite there..
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi