SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:04 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Here's some misc weight data in case it'll be of any help/interest, that I've posted most of previously:
P2K Weight Data ("Flying Weight - 980g"/ad)
Component Weights (g) Grams
Wings - Ailerons only (2 servos) 437g << 44.6% of recommended AUW; 36.4% w/2200a LiPo; 37.6% w/1800; 38.8% w/1300
Fuse (Dry) 465
Prop Assy (Stock 10x6) 27
Canopy 35
TOTAL DRY* WEIGHT (grams) 964 -16 (Under spec'd 980g)
EagleTree Components 46
TOTAL w/INSTRUMENTATION 1010 +30g
*w/o LiPo

Weight w/various LiPos (all 3s 11.1v)
LiPos - Wgt(g) AUWs OVER 980g Spec
TNT 1300 - 111 1121 +111
GA 1300 - 124 1134 +124

TNT 1800 - 147 1157 +147
Tgy 1800 - 157 1167 +157

TNT 2200 - 184 1194 +184
GA 2200 - 194 1204 +194

------
TNT = Turnigy Nano-Tech
GA = Gens Ace
Tgy = Turnigy 'Blue'
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Mar 25, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:33 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi flyer View Post
Hi guys, looking to make a buy of this bird. Nil specs on wing area or loading.
P&P version weight is given as 3289 grams or 6lb 8 ozs...
I think you might be looking at shipping weight. The initial weight HK shows on most of their products are Shipping Weights (include packaging materials, et al) which compared to weights they usu. show under Specs which are always considerably lighter, are the true (or close-to) weight of the item itself.
(BTW - they 'burn' us on those shipping weights too....check some yourself against what their 'add up' on the invoice is. A few grams here & there add up - multiply by the tens of thousands of orders they process a year -- quite lucrative enterprise.)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:18 PM
HaoleboyRC
United States, CA, Auberry
Joined Apr 2009
175 Posts
Phoenix 2000 R2 Hobbies

Wow I guess I am asleep at the switch but bought the P2K from R2 Hobbies and the website indicates the buyer needs to provide servos and battery and charger, and also rx. Mine came with nothing, no servos, thought I was getting 4, no motor, no esc, no extra nose if you want to fly as a pure glider etc. Has anyone else had this experience? Like I said I went back and looked at their site and now see that no servos should have been included but nothing has been said about no motor or esc. I know some of you have had a problem with the esc and some also replaced the motor but if I had known I would have ordered at the same time. I wrote R2 hobbies and asked what gives but what motor has the group been replacing the stock motor with? If I don't have one I might as well buy something better!!!

HaoleboyRC

At least I still have my Radian and can fly that.
HaoleboyRC is offline Find More Posts by HaoleboyRC
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:55 PM
HaoleboyRC
Joined Apr 2009
175 Posts
Motor swap

Hey Guys,

I have a Turnigy B 2835-2200 with a 30amp plush ESC. Will that work in the P2K? 2 of the motor holes line up with the metal backing plate. They are opposing screws. I could slot the other 2 outward and secure it with all 4 screws. I also have servos HS 55's and HXT 900's so that won't be an issue. I have some batteries for my Raidian which are 1300 3s 20c I believe and also have some 2200's 3s not sure of the c rating. Is that motor too fast in RPM's? I bought it as a replacement for an Easy Star and they were talking about a mush smaller prop.

HaoleboyRC
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:01 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaoleboyRC View Post
Wow I guess I am asleep at the switch but bought the P2K from R2 Hobbies and the website indicates the buyer needs to provide servos and battery and charger, and also rx. Mine came with nothing, no servos, thought I was getting 4, no motor, no esc, no extra nose if you want to fly as a pure glider etc. Has anyone else had this experience? Like I said I went back and looked at their site and now see that no servos should have been included but nothing has been said about no motor or esc. I know some of you have had a problem with the esc and some also replaced the motor but if I had known I would have ordered at the same time. I wrote R2 hobbies and asked what gives but what motor has the group been replacing the stock motor with? If I don't have one I might as well buy something better!!!

HaoleboyRC

At least I still have my Radian and can fly that.
I bought my P2K (ARF) from R2hobbies aswell
and then bought servos / motor / ESC / Prop/ Li-Po's from HobbyKing..

Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:39 AM
Joined Feb 2009
28 Posts
Firewall Reinforcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsec1992 View Post
The esc's dead - replacing with a Turnigy Plush 30A. Fired up the motor and there was a fair bit of vibration at start up but smoothen off when throttle is increased.

Does the firewall/mount need reinforcement? How do you guys reinforced yours?

Thanks!
Hi, just built mine. Yes the firewall does need reinforcement. I cut my own with good quality 1/8 5 ply and then made plywood stringers that are epoxyed to the firewall on each side of the fuse, I overlapped the battery tray and CA'ed it. I then
used small screws to hold the stringers in place once the glue lets go.
No Movement, No vibration
jahatton is offline Find More Posts by jahatton
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:06 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
73 Posts
Phoenic 2 weight

Thanks Star Hopper 44 for putting me right re shipping weight and flying weight.
This should give a wing loading under 10ozs. sq. ft.
Tissue paper ruled into 1" squares and laid on wing is a quick way to find wing area.
hi flyer is offline Find More Posts by hi flyer
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:51 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,284 Posts
We need someone to write an app for smart phones that can calculate wing area. After all, they have apps for most things!
Re my aerial vids - yes my prop is windmilling but you have to remember that the fuse is from my Simple Stick (ARTF version of Ugly Stick) with the Alpha 180 glider wing grafted on top. I did try a cheap folder but is needs some serious balancing. It all looks a bit odd but it does work and I can even ROG. When I get bored with gliding around, I can switch back to the standard wing for some aerobatic fun.
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:47 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
We need someone to write an app for smart phones that can calculate wing area. After all, they have apps for most things!
...Andy
There's all kinds of 'em online, just hit th' Goog. Type in "wing load" & by the time you get there, "ing calculator" should show in the drop down -- hit it & take yer choice! *LOL* I even saw some (a couple+) that you could download in Excel format....just put on your laptop or whatever.

+++
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi flyer View Post
...Tissue paper ruled into 1" squares and laid on wing is a quick way to find wing area.
In at least one of those online apps I referred to above, (and I'm sure others do too) there were places to input root & tip chord measures (etc) and the calculator would figure 'em for ya. That's gotta be a heckuva lot quicker (not to mention neater, & less wasteful of time & mat'ls! ) than measuring & marking off squares on tissue!

But this is more to say.....I know these details & things deeply interest some -- I'm sure there are practical uses for the info....& I started to delve into learning that kind've stuff at first. But then I decided, what the heck. Life's just too short to know everything. If you're interested in a plane (or glider or....) take advantage of the WWW & if others (and the more, the merrier) are flying it & saying it's good, just take their word for it & get the darn thing......and FLY it!

This P2K is a pretty darn good powered glider -- and a heckuva lot of fun for the little money involved.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Mar 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:06 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaoleboyRC View Post
Hey Guys,

I have a Turnigy B 2835-2200 with a 30amp plush ESC. Will that work in the P2K? 2 of the motor holes line up with the metal backing plate. They are opposing screws. I could slot the other 2 outward and secure it with all 4 screws. I also have servos HS 55's and HXT 900's so that won't be an issue. I have some batteries for my Raidian which are 1300 3s 20c I believe and also have some 2200's 3s not sure of the c rating. Is that motor too fast in RPM's? I bought it as a replacement for an Easy Star and they were talking about a mush smaller prop.

HaoleboyRC
Hi Haoleboy.
I think that 2835-2200 (I assume that's 2200 kV?) might be too many RPMs for that big ol' prop the P2K wants to swing. It's my understanding that the larger the prop, the less kV you want. The reason helicopters use 2200 even 3000kV is that they're geared down.
I would try to stick with a motor less than 1200 kV for the stock 10-6 (I think) prop.
Re: battery pack - the P2K has LOTS of room in there. I fly a 2200 mAH pack all the time. And it helps balance the P2K as well. Just be sure your batt pack is absolutely secure (can't slide backwards or forwards on the tray). You don't want a dynamic COG in flight. (although - that might be an interesting item to put on a spare tx/rx channel - change the flight envelope even more. Hmmm).
Good luck.
--
Greg
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:31 PM
HaoleboyRC
Joined Apr 2009
175 Posts
Prop size

Thanks for the input and I think you might be right as the prop I bought to go with this motor was a 6x5 or something in that range. Thinking of setting this motor up on a stand and running the 6x5 and see what it pulls and then maybe try the 10x6 and see where it goes but also thinking of running a 2s instead of 3s which would drop the rpm's with less voltage. All with a watt meter connected in the tests. I have ordered another motor but disappointed in not knowing the motor was not included and could have ordered one at the time if I had known it was not part of the package.

HaoleboyRC
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:00 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Feb 2008
137 Posts
Well I finally took my P2K out for its maiden flight. I'm happy. It came home in the same number of pieces I went out with.

All in all, I was impressed. It's been a lot of years since I last flew gliders so this was a real kick from the past. The P2K is nothing like the big floaters I used to fly but things change. My plane ended up with;

Dual-Sky XM2830CA-10 Motor
Castle Thunderbird 37 esc
Turnigy 1800 mAh Nono-tech battery
Stock servos (plan to change eventually)
Stock prop and spinner

Had three flights of about 10 to 15 minutes. I easily could have stayed up longer but I wanted to see how it behaved on landings. Wind was about 10 mph when I started and I finally quit since it was increasing and gusty. II really didn't want to trash this plane on the first trip out of the house.

My first impression was that the ailerons simply do not have enough authority but I figured out that this plane needs some air speed to fly well. After that everything was better. It is not a floater.

The motor speed controller combo is way more than enough power for this plane. After watching some of the launch videos on this forum I though I had to give this thing a big running toss to get it airborne. Not so. Half throttle and a little level push was all it took. Before I flew it I kind of balked at the comments on how much it climbs under power. Oh, did I learn about that. I sure does like to climb. Takes a lot of down elevator or backing off the throttle to keep it under control. But that's fine, just another thing to learn.

I don't have the inboard flaps hooked up yet. I still want to keep this as a glider without adding any more weight than I have to. I have both spoilers and flaps mixed into the ailerons. Has anyone tried that yet? From the little flying I got to do today in the gusty conditions it was hard to tell how effective they were. When I used either one it seems that the ailerons had little to no control effect. It may have simply been airspeed since I tended to use the at slower speed. I want to try this some more on a calm day to see what happens.

Anyway. It was fun. I asked if I would recommend this plan ----- Hell Yea.
bamoore01 is offline Find More Posts by bamoore01
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:21 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamoore01 View Post
... Before I flew it I kind of balked at the comments on how much it climbs under power. Oh, did I learn about that. ...
Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh hehhhh!!!!!
(You have no idea how big the grin was that put on my face.)

Congrats on your maiden -- and let the fun begin!
Y'know, I practically enjoy reading these 'first flight' reports as much as any other part -- hearing impressions, & in particular from those who've flown gliders before. It's very nice to be able to have comparative views -- it gives me/us a better idea of how our 'bird' stacks up against others in this genre, as well as how it's doing on its own.

Thanks for sharing, BA....and I like your recommendation. *LOL* Looking forward to hearing more about your flights & observations.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:23 AM
Joined Nov 2011
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
I bought my P2K (ARF) from R2hobbies aswell
and then bought servos / motor / ESC / Prop/ Li-Po's from HobbyKing..

Sean
P2K is my 1st glider n I bought it from HKing, it is one of the easiest glider to fly imho but my major beef with this bird is the material used in making of the fuselage, although its a tough plastic, its not solid..what I mean is that if u use any motor, the vibration of ur motor will eventually make a neat circular cut out of the plastic firewall and that was what happened to my P2K...I was about to use my dremel on this sucker till I suddenly came up with a "Frankenstein" idea..I crashed my Blaze (by ST Models) some months back, why dont I use that motor on this bird...infact why dont I use the whole front end of that bird and attached to this P2K...well..it works like a charm..at full throttle using 3S 2200 mAh,..this bird make a rapid ascent at the gentle 45 deg climb..yay...!
Litchking is offline Find More Posts by Litchking
Last edited by Litchking; Mar 27, 2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:47 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillas View Post
The flaps I use them in order to gain height and at the same time slow down the glider and keep it near the slope. But I am not the proper person to give you advice!
I think I have discovered what all that flap work is about... I understand it's called Snap Flap and it's basically elevator to flap mix to make inputs more efficient specially at the slope.

It's amazing how much I learn every time I get sucked into reading things here on RCG.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider