SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:55 AM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecci View Post
My First aerial footage with the Phoenix using a Mini DV!

[http://youtu.be/MoOqvbrNzes
mecci, that is an awesome video. You live on a beautiful island. (at least, I assume you live there). )

I don't see any slopes or hills around there for the sea breeze to be deflected upwards. Is there any place to slope soar there?

--
Greg
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:18 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillas View Post
I dont quite understand what you are saying. I just double posted the video because it refered to two different target groups:
1. #16 keychain users
2. Phoenix owners
Oh, OK. Don't understand but no big deal -- I was just joshing you but was more hoping you had posted the wrong video for the 2nd one, & there'd be more of your great scenery to see if you posted a 'correction'.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:38 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,162 Posts
Whoa, Oh boy StarHopper, you sure must be doing some thread HOPPING to 'bust' Gorillas for a double post, and that he's only made 15 posts!!!

Reminds me, you ever watched the RCGroups 'Forum Spy' at the bottom of the home page,
there is and endless stream of posts made at like, one a second 24 hours a day. It's amazing thing see!!

Regarding throwing/launching planes, the Phoenix is a bit of a 'slippery sucker', with that petroleum based plastic (I think) but you do see a lot people hurl the crap out them when it certainly is not required. I had to keep telling my buddy to just to give it a gentle 30 degree up toss will be plenty, he finally got it - depending on the wind conditions of course.
-B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:29 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Whoa, Oh boy StarHopper, you sure must be doing some thread HOPPING to 'bust' Gorillas for a double post, and that he's only made 15 posts!!!
But...but...but....his double-up was right here in this thread.....posts 1503 & 1522. I saw the fingers gripping & releasing, saw the first pass, the way the flaps 'flicked' into action momentarily.....and knew I'd seen it before, here, & just scrolled back a page and voila! Gosh - am I the only one that noticed it?? If nothing else, I think it shows I'm paying attention to what I watch!! *LOL*

Quote:
Reminds me, you ever watched the RCGroups 'Forum Spy' at the bottom of the home page,
there is and endless stream of posts made at like, one a second 24 hours a day. It's amazing thing see!!
No, not really. There's actually only 5 threads I participate on here - I read thru 'em once-twice a day. Used to be another (where I first started) but I quit it when idiots kinda took over.

Quote:
Regarding throwing/launching planes, the Phoenix is a bit of a 'slippery sucker', with that petroleum based plastic (I think) but you do see a lot people hurl the crap out them when it certainly is not required. I had to keep telling my buddy to just to give it a gentle 30 degree up toss will be plenty, he finally got it - depending on the wind conditions of course.
-B!
My concern arose when the wind was about to twist it out of my hand while I's doing preflight surface checks; caught the wing & literally turned it. I caught myself gripping it so hard to hang on I was indenting the sides....made me think I might damage it that way. (Might remember my comment about finding the LiPo deck rear cross-member broken & I didn't know how it happened.) Ergo, a need for a li'l something that would provide a better grip without grasping so hard came to mind, & first thought was for a bit rougher surface, there. Just imagine this summer when hands get a li'l sweaty! Right now I'm thinking a couple 1"-square tabs of ~#60 grit where thumb & middle-finger contact the sides oughta do the trick. Gonna give it a try, anyway.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:08 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,162 Posts
Arrrghh, StarHopper you got me on every point, and I agree on every point!
The thing is, I'm kind of over videos, I rarely watch them anymore unless I see a bunch of people commenting on one.
If you were to watch every one posted / came across you'd never get to do anything else (ie: Build Models, Fly Models, Drink, Sleep!),
and DOUBLE posting in THE ONE THREAD just a page or later is not helping things is it GORILLAS!!! - Bad boy!
-B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:18 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,157 Posts
I agree with you regarding watching too many vids but try to avoid them when you sub to this many
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:37 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
......If you were to watch every one posted / came across you'd never get to do anything else (ie: Build Models, Fly Models, Drink, Sleep!),
and DOUBLE posting in THE ONE THREAD just a page or later is not helping things is it GORILLAS!!! - Bad boy!
-B!
Gawsh Bill....please watch your words & don't make it sound too much like I's "jumping on" G-man 'cuz I wasn't. I was just hoping, like I've said twice now, he had posted a wrong link or something on that 2nd one, & there was more of his nice flight action & scenery to be seen! I'm SO jealous of his flying spot -- wish there was something like that around here I could get to without too much hassle. Tho I know too there are those who would love to have a place like my grassy flatlands here in the Coastal Plains of eastern NC, still, I'd like to try some pure sloping. Yeah....I'd probably love it until the first time I had to de-scale a mini-mountain to retrieve my glider, followed by a long climb back up! Woo hooo! *LOL*

AFA vidi-watching....until fairly recently I never had hi-speed web connection - only 'dial-up' service, so the only ones I got to watch were when I was visiting elsewhere that had WiFi. So I've not yet reached that 'over it' stage....and unfortunately every time I go to U-Toob I'm afraid I get caught up in the excitement & am soon swept away. Just like the hours I burn there! *LOL*
(Guilty blush > )
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:52 PM
France
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
My concern arose when the wind was about to twist it out of my hand while I's doing preflight surface checks; caught the wing & literally turned it. I caught myself gripping it so hard to hang on I was indenting the sides....made me think I might damage it that way.
If there is so much wind that you have difficulty to hold it, it's maybe not a good idea to flight, the phoenix prefer light / medium wind.

By the way, there is really no difficulties around slope launch, for the first launchs just give full throttle, and open your hand. Once you will be more confident you will gently throw it down without engine, and it will glide, as usual, very gently.
traumkumy is offline Find More Posts by traumkumy
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:18 AM
Malta
Joined May 2008
67 Posts
Thanks ! It is a beatiful island with alot of aviation enthusiasts! Unfortunately not so many green areas good for flying but there is a good place where there is a bit of a Lift - above Golden Bay (NW of the island) We had an RC site and club (HFMFA) Hal Far (SE of the island) but the government took it away from us to build some more factories

Glad you liked my video ! Next I will invest in a HD camera !

Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
mecci, that is an awesome video. You live on a beautiful island. (at least, I assume you live there). )

I don't see any slopes or hills around there for the sea breeze to be deflected upwards. Is there any place to slope soar there?

--
Greg
mecci is offline Find More Posts by mecci
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:14 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,157 Posts
Try this #16 HD keycam http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1556994&pp=100 . Just check out the first 5 posts for details of suppliers and other FAQ's
Here is a brief example of the quality.
Bendy with wing from Alpha 180 glider! Aerial footage of my local park shot with #16 Keycam (2 min 57 sec)

Hope to get some decent footage from my Phoenix now the lighter evenings are on the way
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:00 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
751 Posts
Nice flying, Andy! I've got one of those cams too. Amazing quality for a small cam like that! I know, it's not a GoPro, but Thats much too bulky for me......
These keychains just keep on getting better and better.

btw: Is that your prop I hear windmilling? You should program the brake on....
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:49 AM
Joined May 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Try this #16 HD keycam http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1556994&pp=100 . Just check out the first 5 posts for details of suppliers and other FAQ's
Here is a brief example of the quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=freZMu2UnLM
Hope to get some decent footage from my Phoenix now the lighter evenings are on the way
Andy
Nice video Andy.
I have the same keycam but I'm not so pleased with my video quality.
Do you use a separate lens with your camera?
Vasilis
BP1011 is offline Find More Posts by BP1011
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:07 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
70 Posts
Wing area/loading

Hi guys, looking to make a buy of this bird. Nil specs on wing area or loading.
P&P version weight is given as 3289 grams or 6lb 8 ozs.
My guess is wing area 500 sq. ins. +or - 50. this gives a wing loading of 28 ozs. sq.ft.
this does not sound like a floater.
The Radian P&P weight 30 ozs. from pictures looks to have a wing area close to Phoenix 2
This would give a wing loading of 8ozs. sq. ft.
This sounds like a floater.
Your comments on the Radian wing loading appreciated.
hi flyer is offline Find More Posts by hi flyer
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:25 AM
Harrington N.S.W. Australia
Joined Jul 2006
118 Posts
hi flyer

I just compleated mine.. Ready for maiden in the morning if this wind eases..Stinkin southerly blowing at the moment.. Mine weighs 39ozs all up RTF..
Turnigy C2830 motor 1050KV
Plush 40 amp esc
Turnigy 2200 3s Bat
10x6 folding prop
Anyway by my reakoning hi flyer at 39ozs its more like a bit over 11ozs a sq ft..
Cheers John..
john mc lucas is offline Find More Posts by john mc lucas
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:12 AM
Harrington N.S.W. Australia
Joined Jul 2006
118 Posts
Wing area

I just had to measure the wing up to comfirm the Wing area..Yeah it got the better of me..
Its 539 sq inches =3.74 sq ft my flying weight is 39ozs =10.43 ozs per sq ft..
HK quote Flying weight at 980 grms=34.5..Thats not right either..
John..
john mc lucas is offline Find More Posts by john mc lucas