HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2010, 03:55 AM
Joined Nov 2010
28 Posts
Discussion
Really Basic Transmitter setup

Hey setting up my first RTF jet, the instruction manual is in some form of engrish which doesn't make sense to me.

anyway, the jet has elevators (on separate servos) a steerable front wheel and the ESC. (No rudder or ailerons)

The transmitter I have has the left lever spring loaded and the right free form which i found a bit strange. But anyway, firstly, I connected the ESC to channel 3 and had to reverse the channel on the transmitter to make it power up from the lever is pushed up - is that normal?

For the front wheel, do you think i should have that on the same stick as the throttle? (the right) or on the left?

and lastly, can't quite figure out the elevators, have tried them on all combination of channels, but I basically have to have one side controlled by an up and down motion on the stick and the other controlled by a left and right motion. I would of thought they should work together for takeoff and landing so they both go up and down at the same time but it doesn't seem possible?

can anyway clarify what channels I should have them connected up to?

Its an F-15 shuttler TS827

cheers.
flamer is offline Find More Posts by flamer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2010, 05:43 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,015 Posts
It would help if you specified what transmitter you are talking about. When I look up the model I find references to FS-CT6B, made by FlySky, a well known manufacturer. Is that what you have? By the way, despite your title, this is far from a "very basic transmitter setup".

It sounds as though the transmitter is set up for mode 1: Aileron and throttle on the right stick and rudder and elevator on the left. When you say "free form" I assume you mean that the right stick fore-and-aft motion has either ratchet or friction, rather than spring centering.

Mode 1 is one of the two main configurations. Mode 2 (throttle on the left) is much more common in North America but both work equally well -- the main reason for choosing one or the other is to be able to get help in learning to fly. . Some transmitters allow you to choose stick mode -- the FS-CT6B does.

Do you have experience flying RC and if so, which mode have you used? You should stick to the same mode while learning. If you don't have experience (which is what it sounds like from your questions), and you don't have an experienced pilot to help you, it's highly unlikely that the model will survive more than about 30 seconds. RC flying with a responsive, fast, neutrally stable model like the F15 requires a great deal of skill. You should put the F15 aside, get a suitable high wing trainer and teach yourself to fly.

Anyway, back to the model set up. There's nothing surprising about having to reverse the throttle channel -- I believe the transmitter uses the Futaba standard of throttle on channel 3 and reversed relative to other transmitters.

The nose gear servo should be on channel 4, rudder, which is controlled by the left stick.

The model appears to use an "ailevator" setup in which the rear control surfaces function both as elevator and aileron. This means that you need to plug one servo into channel 1 and the other into channel 2 and set the transmitter to elevon mix (AKA delta mix). You will have to experiment with which one to plug into which channel and with reversing the two channels to get the correct action (pull back on elevator stick makes trailing edge of both surfaces go up, right on aileron stick makes right go up and left down).

If the transmitter is the one I mentioned, you will, of course, have to program it on a computer. This is all covered in the manual. If it is a different one, there may be an elevon mix switch.

I hope this helps.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Nov 15, 2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:53 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamer View Post
Hey setting up my first RTF jet,
Usualy a RTF or Ready To Fly plane is ready to fly with some minor assembly but generaly does not include having to plug everything in the RX. Like mentioned above more info is needed for better reponse.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:35 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,156 Posts
Your model doesn't have elevators, they have to operate as elevons.
When you move the stick for elevator control, both should go up, or down. When you move the stick to the right or left, they should move as ailerons, one up, one down.
Ooop, missed that paragraph in Daedalus66's post.
Hate when I does that.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Do you have experience flying RC and if so, which mode have you used? You should stick to the same mode while learning. If you don't have experience (which is what it sounds like from your questions), and you don't have an experienced pilot to help you, it's highly unlikely that the model will survive more than about 30 seconds. RC flying with a responsive, fast, neutrally stable model like the F15 requires a great deal of skill. You should put the F15 aside, get a suitable high wing trainer and teach yourself to fly.
+ 1

init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:03 AM
Joined Nov 2010
28 Posts
Thanks Daedalus66 for the excellent reply, what you have said makes a lot of sense about the elevators actually being ailevators and knowing the right channels will help. Anyway, I will try and connect it up again. If I can't get it working I will take it in to the shop.

I am not experienced in flying, but I have been having fun putting the thing together and playing around with the electronics (thats the main thing right?) I am going to find someone local to either help me fly this jet, or teach me on their own high wing. I am certainly keen to at least see this baby in the air even if its not be flying it.
flamer is offline Find More Posts by flamer