Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:15 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
That is BEAUTIFUL work sir. Me bows.

FWIW..I have the eflite DHC-2 and its a blast to fly. I learned seaplane handling with my cub and graduated to "Da Beav"

Thanks, mang. Am working on my scale landing light cavity at the moment... can't wait to see it lit up!... that's the last wing mod I need to do before I can permanently run my strips of conductive tape (covered in insulating Kapton Tape) down the wing to the nav, strobe and landing LEDs. The landing light is Tx switchable, will probably put it on the gear channel... seems appropriate.

My buddy bought the Flyzone version of the Beaver not too long ago... flies really nice (I posted a couple of vids a while back of its maiden off snow on floats). He's traded it already... was having problems fitting it in his little car
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:29 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Thanks, mang. Am working on my scale landing light cavity at the moment... can't wait to see it lit up!... that's the last wing mod I need to do before I can permanently run my strips of conductive tape (covered in insulating Kapton Tape) down the wing to the nav, strobe and landing LEDs. The landing light is Tx switchable, will probably put it on the gear channel... seems appropriate.

My buddy bought the Flyzone version of the Beaver not too long ago... flies really nice (I posted a couple of vids a while back of its maiden off snow on floats). He's traded it already... was having problems fitting it in his little car
what have you done to waterproof your electronics?
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:44 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,911 Posts
Quote:
what have you done to waterproof your electronics?
Well, from watching that vid that posted here recently, I might just mount them well above the water-line when the SC is upside-down... and use the prop to drive it back to shore

Seriously though,

I have some products I used for waterproofing my Losi buggy for winter running in snow...

- Boeshield T-9 (Boeing product)
- Fluid Film
- Lloyd's AD2000 & 3000 (Canadian products, one is similar to Corrosion-X)

I like the ones that dry to a dry wax like film... like I used to see on boards in stuff I ripped apart when I was a kid in the 70's. I don't want to void the warranty on my new AR6115e so I might just put that in a balloon. My ESC came heat shrunk, would just need to plug the wire exits with a bit of butyl putty, or shoot the board with one of the above mentioned products and re-wrap it. Servos I think will be ok, but I could shoot the seams with Fluid Film if I thought it was necessary... maybe put some grease on the shaft. I definitely want to waterproof the PIC micro-controller LED strobe circuit I bought from DIYRC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:19 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,911 Posts
Quote:
... I definitely want to waterproof the PIC micro-controller LED strobe circuit I bought from DIYRC.

Mini-Flash user-configurable LED controller from diyrc.com

click image to watch at Youtube

RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:49 AM
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Well, from watching that vid that posted here recently, I might just mount them well above the water-line when the SC is upside-down... and use the prop to drive it back to shore

Seriously though,

I have some products I used for waterproofing my Losi buggy for winter running in snow...

- Boeshield T-9 (Boeing product)
- Fluid Film
- Lloyd's AD2000 & 3000 (Canadian products, one is similar to Corrosion-X)

I like the ones that dry to a dry wax like film... like I used to see on boards in stuff I ripped apart when I was a kid in the 70's. I don't want to void the warranty on my new AR6115e so I might just put that in a balloon. My ESC came heat shrunk, would just need to plug the wire exits with a bit of butyl putty, or shoot the board with one of the above mentioned products and re-wrap it. Servos I think will be ok, but I could shoot the seams with Fluid Film if I thought it was necessary... maybe put some grease on the shaft. I definitely want to waterproof the PIC micro-controller LED strobe circuit I bought from DIYRC.
Sounds like you got it covered. No pun intended. I use corrosion x on everything Smells as funky as Gene-o's shoes, but works like magic.
Dont "plug" the esc as it will increase the heat. SOAK it with the corrosion x type stuff you mentioned. Shoot it thru both sides of the esc if poss.
The only drawback to that stuff is it plays havoc with electrical tape, so keep it away from any. The rx in a balloon will work, so I agree that you should not use it on that as it may give them a reason to deny warranty coverage. Your servos, being where they are, will do fine without any waterproofing.
Please video your flight and post.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:39 AM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
The new Power Up 400 Slofly came in the mail today.

How do I install the prop.?? The shaft on the motor is short and has no threads. Am I missing a part.??... That being the prop shaft.??

NEVER MIND.!!! I got it out of the packaging and see how things work now. Hey, this stuff is all new to me still.

Cheers....
PiperRon is offline Find More Posts by PiperRon
Last edited by PiperRon; Mar 15, 2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:07 AM
FAA - Foam Abusers Anonymous
USA, MN, Blaine
Joined May 2008
251 Posts
Quote:
Main thing is to cycle them 5x at under 2a before you go nutso with them.
Do you cycle you batteries on the charger first time before using them in a plane?
I've never heard of that, but I'll have to try it on my next set of batteries.
dazed&confuzed is offline Find More Posts by dazed&confuzed
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:33 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,577 Posts
That's overdoing it in my opinion. Just run them, but not as hard and not all the way down. Be conservative the first few times.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:14 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
758 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like you got it covered. No pun intended. I use corrosion x on everything Smells as funky as Gene-o's shoes, but works like magic.
Dont "plug" the esc as it will increase the heat. SOAK it with the corrosion x type stuff you mentioned. Shoot it thru both sides of the esc if poss.
The only drawback to that stuff is it plays havoc with electrical tape, so keep it away from any. The rx in a balloon will work, so I agree that you should not use it on that as it may give them a reason to deny warranty coverage. Your servos, being where they are, will do fine without any waterproofing.
Please video your flight and post.
Hello there, I've been learning to fly my cub on floats for a month now and have had at least 50 so far. I taped over the battery box which seems to keep most of the water out and after each flight I spray the battery and esc connections with wd40 after spraying them with fresh water to get the salt off first.
I used to race model yachts on the sea and in our experience keeping the rx etc in bags or box's seemed to advance their rot! Making sure any dunked electrics were thoroughly rinsed in fresh water then dr
ied properly seemed to work best for us.
Can anyone tell me how to obtain the waterproofing sprays you mention over here in the uk please, since I'm probably flying on borrowed time.
I haven't crashed yet but to keep it exciting I'm trying stronger and stronger winds so before the inevitable I'd like to be prepared! Thanks
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:27 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeric View Post
I see the source of my confusion--didn't realize that your last photo was of the Beaver rudders on a Beaver--both of 'em!

My sense is the same as yours--one's probably plenty.
Think I've sussed a way of not needing a rudder at all! All you need is a strong ,clean wind! Today here on Scotlands westcoast there was a nice steady 15mph wind which resulted in take offs in around 15' and same for the landings and VERY exciting flying
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:00 PM
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed&confuzed View Post
Do you cycle you batteries on the charger first time before using them in a plane?
I've never heard of that, but I'll have to try it on my next set of batteries.
No, I hook them to a plane, and set the planes throttle not to exceed two amps. I just posted a pic of the setup a few posts back.
Also, see below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
That's overdoing it in my opinion. Just run them, but not as hard and not all the way down. Be conservative the first few times.
I know QB, it sounded like overkill to me too when I read the threads on lipos.Some of those lipo guys even determine the temp and humidity of the room theyre charging them in, so I too was thinking "all righty then" But... I tried it, and maybe it's a placebo effect to me, but I swear I get a longer life from it. It's not hard to do, costs nothing, and.. whadda ya got to lose?? Good job on coaxing them stockers on to 2 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe View Post
Think I've sussed a way of not needing a rudder at all! All you need is a strong ,clean wind! Today here on Scotlands westcoast there was a nice steady 15mph wind which resulted in take offs in around 15' and same for the landings and VERY exciting flying

Yer flying "in" the Atlantic?? My Man! You got stones... My first forays were in the Gulf of Mexico,( a veritable kiddie pool compared to what you face) and it seemed like everything on my cub rusted within a week after flying there.Even parts of my lipo rusted. Course I didnt know anything about waterproofing back then, or even how to fly for that matter, ergot all the rust. If you are in salt water then you need "uber" waterproofing. On everything. WD-40 will NOT do it. Dont ask me how I know.. Dont know what the Scottish equivalent of corrosion x is, but you need a "non conformal" coating. Maybe try a marine supply vendor? My hats off to ya for flying in some "sporting" conditions.

Somewhere I have a pic of my first seaplane cub, replete with its leaky, unwieldy GWS floats.

Good luck Shipmate

Nav
Last edited by Naval Warfare; Mar 15, 2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:57 PM
MichiganRCflyer
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Nov 2012
128 Posts
SC w/ Eagle Tree 2d/3 stabilizer.
bunkx9 is offline Find More Posts by bunkx9
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:03 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkx9 View Post
I was thinking the 2-axis gyro system in the Glasair Sportsman might be neat to try out.

EDIT
In the SC, I mean.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Mar 16, 2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:18 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkx9 View Post
So what am I looking at here.?? Stabilizer.?? What does it do.??
PiperRon is offline Find More Posts by PiperRon