HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:07 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
I like flying in the 0-10' height range. Something about it gets thee ole heart pumping.
Boom boom boom!!!
One of my favorite things as well
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:11 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Sweet the Safe Paraboard came in.
Much bigger and heavier than i imagined.

Anyone else rockin one? Impressed with the physical quality so far.
How many packs can you charge at once?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:11 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
The Paraboard itself can hook together 4 batteries. But you can buy more paraboards and charge any number you want.
The restriction comes in the maximum amps of your charger, and how low of C rating youre willing to charge in.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:46 PM
aka: Scott Ellis
United States, MT, Billings
Joined Dec 2012
1,083 Posts
So there I was at sunset tonight, on the last seconds of final approach, flaps down, dead center on the runway, a foot high, just starting to flare pretty as a picture, headed for the best landing yet . . . when I broadsided my dog.

No damage to the dog (the nose just under his belly, the impact point the wing on his legs), and not much to the Cub.

Gonna have to work on the training a bit, though. He'll stay when I'm hovering a heli (my only heli trick), but when I'm doing that I can see him getting antsy out of the corner of my eye and remind him to stay. Can't watch the dog and the SC at the same time. He'll learn. . . .

What else did I learn? I learned that the full-flap stall is quite a bit more abrupt than the no-flap stall, and that ten or twelve feet isn't enough room to recover. Did I mention it's a tough little airplane?

I haven't had this much fun in years.
Xeric is offline Find More Posts by Xeric
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:42 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,968 Posts
Putting in the hardwood pucks for the streamline aluminum and flat carbon fiber scale wing struts. Smaller diameter ones for the jury strut mounts are next.

Placed in the scale locations...

North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:29 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Putting in the hardwood pucks for the streamline aluminum and flat carbon fiber scale wing struts. Smaller diameter ones for the jury strut mounts are next.

Placed in the scale locations...

Very nice. Interesting how different the scale locations are from the model's.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:38 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
How many packs can you charge at once?
Prolly as many as you "drink" for lunch.

I checked with a Lawyer, whom represented that you cannot exclude me from the contest...
Seems we have laws here in Georgia that preclude yankee scalawags from introducing codiciles that disciminate against southerners.

This vid is an oldie, but a goodie. It shows just how versatile, and tweak easy the Cubber is.
I think it "might be a 2 ft takeoff roll on this, and that's even with a parachutist attached underbelly. So Gimme my motor!!
You'll see two diff props being tested for speed trials in the second half of the video.
FWIW..an 8x8e is hands down, the best "speed" prop for 480 and larger motors.

HZ Super Cub dropping parachutists/Field Day! (2 min 1 sec)

Watch in full screen to see the parachutists
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Last edited by Naval Warfare; Mar 08, 2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:45 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeric View Post
So there I was at sunset tonight, on the last seconds of final approach, flaps down, dead center on the runway, a foot high, just starting to flare pretty as a picture, headed for the best landing yet . . . when I broadsided my dog.

No damage to the dog (the nose just under his belly, the impact point the wing on his legs), and not much to the Cub.

Gonna have to work on the training a bit, though. He'll stay when I'm hovering a heli (my only heli trick), but when I'm doing that I can see him getting antsy out of the corner of my eye and remind him to stay. Can't watch the dog and the SC at the same time. He'll learn. . . .

What else did I learn? I learned that the full-flap stall is quite a bit more abrupt than the no-flap stall, and that ten or twelve feet isn't enough room to recover. Did I mention it's a tough little airplane?

I haven't had this much fun in years.
I too have smacked my Border Collie more than a few times. I'm just glad she can't sue me.
With regards to full flap stall.. If you aren't bringing her down with power on, that flap isn't a flap any longer, it's an air brake.
Kudos to ya for tweaking the Cub. She's as much fun to alter, as she is to fly.
Out of all my planes, due to it's versatility, the cub is my favorite.
None of my others can go, fast/slow/do almost 3d, fly off water, and if crashed, can be repaired and made airworthy with a few drops of CA.

Good luck Shipmate
Nav
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:53 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Reminds me of that video where a dude is flying at the local football field with his dog chasing his plane like mad.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:39 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
I too have smacked my Border Collie more than a few times. I'm just glad she can't sue me.
With regards to full flap stall.. If you aren't bringing her down with power on, that flap isn't a flap any longer, it's an air brake.
Kudos to ya for tweaking the Cub. She's as much fun to alter, as she is to fly.
Out of all my planes, due to it's versatility, the cub is my favorite.
None of my others can go, fast/slow/do almost 3d, fly off water, and if crashed, can be repaired and made airworthy with a few drops of CA.

Good luck Shipmate
Nav
Yeah--was just thinking this morning, after a series of non-lethal but ugly landings, that I need to learn to carry some throttle on in to nearly the touchdown. Maybe I'll get to practice that this afternoon--calm right now. Lunch! Where's my lunch!

Funny detail--my dog--just absolutely fascinated by airplanes and helicopters--is also a border collie. (Okay, he's half Australian shepherd--which just makes it worse!)
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:10 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
Prolly as many as you "drink" for lunch.

I checked with a Lawyer, whom represented that you cannot exclude me from the contest...
Seems we have laws here in Georgia that preclude yankee scalawags from introducing codiciles that disciminate against southerners.

This vid is an oldie, but a goodie. It shows just how versatile, and tweak easy the Cubber is.
I think it "might be a 2 ft takeoff roll on this, and that's even with a parachutist attached underbelly. So Gimme my motor!!
You'll see two diff props being tested for speed trials in the second half of the video.
FWIW..an 8x8e is hands down, the best "speed" prop for 480 and larger motors.

Watch in full screen to see the parachutists
I disqualify that video since the camera man was obviously shaking from the DTs or some other withdraw symptom. Since your lawyer isn't licensed in Florida, I submit this for his/her review.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:22 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,598 Posts
Oooo lawyer like that position.LOL
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:56 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
452 Posts
is horizon hobby trying to push new guys to get the stratos or the glasair sportsman over the supercub?

i just checked prices and the supercub now has an oversize shipping charge of $11.99
shipping was free for like, forever

that will probably be a deal breaker, the end, supercub on its way out
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
is horizon hobby trying to push new guys to get the stratos or the glasair sportsman over the supercub?

i just checked prices and the supercub now has an oversize shipping charge of $11.99
shipping was free for like, forever

that will probably be a deal breaker, the end, supercub on its way out
Well, I don't know what HZ's got in mind, of course, but 12 bucks wouldn't swing the decision for me. The Glasair's a nice airplane (even if it does have the third wheel on the wrong end) but . . . it just isn't a classic, you know? I mean, Phish is a decent enough band, the the Dead ain't going away. . . .
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:16 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
452 Posts
good points but i forgot to add i got an email from hobbyzone with a coupon code $20 off the stratos rtf. free shipping

also the option to add three 3cell batteries for only $9.99 each if you buy the glasair. supercub only one extra battery for $9.99

all tha said and i havent done the numbers but for only $50 more you get the glasair, with same radio dx4e, with ailerons, brushless setup, more batteries for cheaper, over the supercub.

i think the powers that be have decided the supercub is finished
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Last edited by bradymartin; Mar 08, 2013 at 10:24 PM.