HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:14 PM
noob
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Feb 2013
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler101 View Post
I Love that checker board tape. Is that just packing tape? Gotta find some of that stuff.. Too bad about the second flight crash video. Looked like you were flying a lot smoother in your turns and stuff. Keep at it. yes mounting the camera underneath is the way to go. Perfect CG and balance...
The checkered tape is duct tape. I bought it at Home Depot, but i've also seen it at WalMart, and Michaels. It weighs 5x more than packing tape, but adding 14g to the SC isn't an issue.
DBM123 is offline Find More Posts by DBM123
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:17 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikigod19 View Post
Ebay user allyounger315... She's confirmed it's the 18 (she referred to it as an updated 11). I'll try it out and if I like it ill get a 16 too for alternate angle..

Still not given up on the gopro idea though (as already have that.. The 3 black edition too, lightest of the bunch
Here's a video from xjet mounting a #16 on a Walkera Ladybird quad. Seem to be a lot of dropped frames when he spins around. Maybe a cheap sd card. Get at least a class 4 card.

Walkera Ladybird QR, onboard camera (2 min 55 sec)
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:48 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
United States, IN, Mauckport
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
Hey all, just a quick question. Will 30c batteries be too much for the stock dsm rx/esc? Thanks...
Lobe_DethFaurt is offline Find More Posts by Lobe_DethFaurt
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:00 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,585 Posts
Nope. As a matter of fact it will love it.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:38 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobe_DethFaurt View Post
Hey all, just a quick question. Will 30c batteries be too much for the stock dsm rx/esc? Thanks...
C is just the discharge rate the battery can supply if a system asks for it... it's not something that's "forced" onto the system. The battery only needs to supply the amount of current it's asked for, it could be rated at 300C and it would still be fine in your SC... your SC system would never ask for that kind of discharge rate, so it just doesn't use its full discharge rate capability, that's all. It's better to "over C" than "under C".

EDIT
edited and reworded some of that for clarification.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Feb 28, 2013 at 02:01 AM. Reason: clarification
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:55 PM
The Low-wing Super Cub
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2007
595 Posts
Lookin' for Nav

Is Naval Warfare still flyin' in this air space
grubbyjeans is offline Find More Posts by grubbyjeans
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:57 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,585 Posts
Gene misses him too.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:59 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
United States, IN, Mauckport
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
@quitcherbitchen, that is good to know, thanks!
@North_of_49, thanks for the info. I've struggled a bit to understand power systems, but I just can't get it. It is good to know that the C is not a major factor. One less thing to worry about!
Seriously, you guys just made my day.
Lobe
Lobe_DethFaurt is offline Find More Posts by Lobe_DethFaurt
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:19 PM
noob
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Feb 2013
58 Posts
Started on the repairs after my crash.

The cracks in the fuselage are epoxied, and the brushless motor and esc are installed:

The motor mount that I made looks a bit sketchy.....I hope it holds up.
I was originally planning on mounting the ESC inside of the fuselage, but it fits up front where it will get better cooling, so I will leave it up front for now. Will have to lengthen the power wires, but I forgot my extra wire at work, so I won't be able to get it finished up tonight.

Bought a couple of Orange Rx's from the LHS today after work....I love that they order stuff from Hobbyking and resell it with a 2X markup. Still less than half the price of spektrum stuff, and no 10 day wait for shipping from China.

Next on the to-do list is to come up with a way to secure the landing gear to the plane. The plastic the the landing gear snaps into is broken, and 5min epoxy won't adhere to it.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:55 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
I keep reading DMB dave mathews band.
Your homemade motor mount is badass dude!!!
But as someone helped us learn earlier. The firewall has offset but its not enough. On a stock superCub the gearbox also has added down and right thrust. You might need to play around with washers to add more down and right.

Also a trick to fix nylon or plastic that glue wont stick to is drill tiny little holes and pull the crack together with string or thread. Then epoxy that to form a strengthened cast.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:05 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobe_DethFaurt View Post
I've struggled a bit to understand power systems, but I just can't get it. It is good to know that the C is not a major factor
The C rating is a way to tell you how many available amps that battery can supply. Just like North of 49 is saying.

A 2200mah battery. (2.2amps). At a 1 C rating can supply 2.2 amps.

A 2200mah battery. (2.2amps). At a 10C rating can supply 22.0 amps.

So all you have to do is multiply the capacity of the battery by the C rating to tell you how many amps that battery can supply.

When you look at motor specs they will tell you the maximum amps that motor will safely draw. You want a battery and ESC that can cover that.
Last edited by wopachop; Feb 28, 2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:29 PM
noob
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Feb 2013
58 Posts
Thanks for the tips and kind words, wopachop!
It isn't evident in the crappy cell phone pic, but the stand-off's between the firewall and the garolite plate are all different lengths to provide some downward and right thrust. I'm not sure if it is enough, but it looks close to the stock gearbox angle.

I wanted to buy a 8x4 prop at the LHS today, but they did not have any APC 8x4E, only 8x4 sport. I was going to buy a pair of them anyways, but the sales kid told me to put them back and buy a 9x6E instead, even after I told him that my motor is a 1700KV and would be happier with a lower pitch prop. Turns out that the motor is drawing 41 Amps on 3S (the motor is only rated for 30A). That'll teach me to listen to the kid at the store. If my motor was a more normal 1100KV, the 9x6 would likely be perfect. Unfortunately, I have three 3530-1700kv motors (I bought them for my combat robots), so I figured that I might as well use what I have. I do have a 3610-100KV Himax motor, but it was expensive, and I only have 1. With my limited experience, I'd rather wreck the cheap $12 motors that I have spares of, rather than wreck the expensive one.

Hmmmm, I haven't listened to Dave Matthews in a long time. Time to youtube some.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:59 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Dave Matthews Band - Don't Drink The Water (Central Park) (6 min 47 sec)
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:36 AM
noob
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Feb 2013
58 Posts
That was the first DMB song that I had ever heard. I have only seen them live once (back in November of 2000, in Calgary). They sure didn't rock out as hard back when I saw them. :P

I made a bit more progress on my plane:

The rectangular piece is more 1/16" garolite, and the aluminum part inside of it, is some repurposed bracket that I took out of the scrap bin at work ~7 years ago. :P

The landing gear is made from 0.040" titanium. I would have rather used aluminum, but didn't have anything thinner than 1/4" in 2024. I don't have much titanium, so I like to preserve what little I have.

The plan is to use 3M double sided tape (same as Ed @ experimental airlines uses) to secure the landing gear to the garolite. Hopefully the tape will let go in the event of a crash, rather than tearing the bottom half of a plane off. :P Granted, hopefully the tape is strong enough to hold the gear on during rough landings. I guess I'll find out some time in the near future.

I haven't decided on what to do for a lid, yet. Likely just more garolite, a small hinge on the leading edge, and some velcro on the trailing edge. I'd like to hang the camera off of the lid, in which case I might wrap an elastic under the camera from the posts for the wings.

I saw some different skis at the LHS when I was there today that I kinda want to try. They looked better than my current dubro skis (which constantly get jammed up, flip out of place, etc)
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:07 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,919 Posts
@DBM123

You said you removed your ACT sensors. Just curious how you got them out before I tackle mine... I was going to pick at the silicone with a dental pick.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF