HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:11 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,429 Posts
Ah, fuggit. You know what?... I might just go down to the LHS tomorrow and grab a Spektrum AR6115e

I'll see if HURC will take the Power Up Rx back. I know a cheap way I could ship it.

Maybe pick up the Lemon at some point just for a back-up so there's no down time if I ever need warranty.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:47 PM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I like the idea of the extra struts. But in a heavy and even a not so heavy landing, the gear gets bent back. So could that cause damage to the extra rods.
I would have thought that the extra bracing would be towards the nose.
How is the camera held on, Velcro? It could come off in flight. Or even a bad landing. it would be hard to find in grass. It does happen. I would suggest that you had a lanyard fitted.

Actually the carbon rods flex quite a bit and act like a shock absorber, I tried a few different diameter rods and settled on the 1/16" ones which gave enough strength but also flexes with about 5lbs of force.. I landed about 20 times in my very rough pasture today and the LG bounces right back to the original position.

The camera mount I constructed with an old plastic gun sight from a pellet rifle, I mounted the camera body to the ramped sight with screws that attach from the inside of the camera housing into the plastic sight and then screwed and used epoxy to secure the ramped sight to that rounded piece on the battery door. It is pretty secure but I probably will take your advise and use a lanyard as an insurance policy..

I really appreciate all the advice and knowledge I have received from everybody here, this is a great group of people!!

Here are few pics of the LG mod flexed and the camera mount..
NWJames is offline Find More Posts by NWJames
Last edited by NWJames; Feb 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Put wrong size carbon rod I used
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:09 PM
In need of a job....
Hamilton, NJ
Joined Feb 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
No, problem, bud. Here's the E-flite one at my LHS, you can get it tons of places. Lots of equivalents of this under different brands and possibly cheaper too. Some just have a regular nut and not the spinner shaped bullet nut...if you don't want or need that.

collet type
http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=EFLM1924

Attachment 5535198

set screw type
http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=EFLM1931

Attachment 5535199
Thanks a bunch, I ordered something that looks identical to those from hobbyking, we'll see when they get here if they work. If not I'm only out a couple bux.
kryznic is offline Find More Posts by kryznic
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:32 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryznic View Post
Thanks a bunch, I ordered something that looks identical to those from hobbyking, we'll see when they get here if they work. If not I'm only out a couple bux.
They should be fine if they're for a 4mm shaft (4mm ID or inside diameter on the adapter). If they're from HK I'll bet they might be the Turnigy one that Chompwat just posted a pic of a couple pages back.

Depending which props you use, you might have to ream or drill the prop hole to fit on the adapter which is normal. Some props come with a large hole and a set of different size inserts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:29 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2013
63 Posts
I flew the ealier model that was powered by the Nimh batteries a few years ago, which flew just fine. Recently I bought a cub, and did the brushless upgrade, with the eflite 480, 30 A esc and new 9g servos. The trim is fine, it turns left and right, up and down, no problems, but everytime i try to fly it, it will go up and to the right, eventually crashing . Everything looks perfect on it before take off. I dont get it, this plane from before flew so easily with duct tape and other battle scars and now i have a new plane that cant into the air. The wings are centered, I use half throttle for takeoff and it seems nose heavy when taking off from the ground, when hand launched it does flips. Any suggetions would help.. I checked the COG it seemed to be where it should, unless Im missing something here i dont get it. Does the brushless motor and mount weigh more than the brushed gear box and motor, thinking about putting the old motor back on cause I wanna fly. I did all my research before ordering the parts, and thought it would be no problem.

480 eflite, eflite 30 a esc, hxt-900 9gservos, orange rx, and dx4
Frustrated Flyer...
dopey190 is offline Find More Posts by dopey190
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:39 PM
A disaster in the making.
United Kingdom, England, Selby
Joined Jan 2013
375 Posts
Have you got sufficient offset on your motor?
Damnandblastit is offline Find More Posts by Damnandblastit
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:16 PM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey190 View Post
I flew the ealier model that was powered by the Nimh batteries a few years ago, which flew just fine. Recently I bought a cub, and did the brushless upgrade, with the eflite 480, 30 A esc and new 9g servos. The trim is fine, it turns left and right, up and down, no problems, but everytime i try to fly it, it will go up and to the right, eventually crashing . Everything looks perfect on it before take off. I dont get it, this plane from before flew so easily with duct tape and other battle scars and now i have a new plane that cant into the air. The wings are centered, I use half throttle for takeoff and it seems nose heavy when taking off from the ground, when hand launched it does flips. Any suggetions would help.. I checked the COG it seemed to be where it should, unless Im missing something here i dont get it. Does the brushless motor and mount weigh more than the brushed gear box and motor, thinking about putting the old motor back on cause I wanna fly. I did all my research before ordering the parts, and thought it would be no problem.

Frustrated Flyer...
How did the plane fly before you did the B/L conversion, you haven't said!
If it was fine before then clearly something has changed!

The weight and the weight distribution will both have changed from the stock set up.

You haven't said how you have mounted the new motor. Have the stock down thrust and side thrust angles been retained? Where is the ESC positioned.

What size Lipo are you using and how is it mounted? Again weight and COG will be affected.

I don't understand when you say everything is trimmed fine, how have you managed to trim in flight if it is flying as you say?

The cub will fly straight out of the box on a stock set up, so if nothing else has been altered the answer lies in the changes you have made.
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:52 PM
Joined Jan 2013
63 Posts

It was new, and i changed it over. Never flew it before the change.The weight and the weight distribution will both have changed from the stock set up[/B].

You haven't said how you have mounted the new motor. Have the stock down thrust and side thrust angles been retained? Where is the ESC positioned.

I bought the mount from custom rc parts,it has the angle on the mount aswell, the esc is velro'd inside the fuse
What size Lipo are you using and how is it mounted? Again weight and COG will be affected.

Im usign the hobbyzone 1300mah that it came withI don't understand when you say everything is trimmed fine, how have you managed to trim in flight if it is flying as you say?

When i say trimmed, the elevator is aligned, aswell as the rudder before takeoff. And they move fine left,right, up,down
Last edited by dopey190; Feb 18, 2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:59 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Ah, fuggit. You know what?... I might just go down to the LHS tomorrow and grab a Spektrum AR6115e

I'll see if HURC will take the Power Up Rx back. I know a cheap way I could ship it.

Maybe pick up the Lemon at some point just for a back-up so there's no down time if I ever need warranty.
I use the ar400 works great and its only $29
smitty919 is online now Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:21 PM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Quote:

It was new, and i changed it over. Never flew it before the change.The weight and the weight distribution will both have changed from the stock set up[/B].

I bought the mount from custom rc parts,it has the angle on the mount aswell, the esc is velro'd inside the fuse

Im usign the hobbyzone 1300mah that it came withI don't understand when you say everything is trimmed fine, how have you managed to trim in flight if it is flying as you say?

When i say trimmed, the elevator is aligned, aswell as the rudder before takeoff. And they move fine left,right, up,down
First off I would suggest checking your COG. The cub should balance at a point 2.25 inches rearward of the wing leading edge. I find slightly nose heavy to be preferable. If she comes up tail heavy try moving components forward and as a last resort add weight.

The cub naturally climbs under power, this will be exaggerated with the 480 B/L motor.

You can increase the tail plane incidence by adding a strip of 1/8" balsa under the leading edge of the stabiliser which will counter this a bit.

Use the low rates on your Tx for starters.

If hand launching try and let her get enough airspeed for the control surfaces to be effective, then back off the gas until she levels out.

Trim for level flight at around half throttle, and it sounds like you need a bit of left trim too. Visually the controls may look straight on the ground and this has to be the start point, but in the air small amounts of trim make a big difference.

I'm sure others will chip in too! Good luck and keep us posted!
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:29 PM
Joined Jan 2013
63 Posts
Will do! Thanks for your help
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:11 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,429 Posts
Quote:
Does the brushless motor and mount weigh more than the brushed gear box and motor, thinking about putting the old motor back on cause I wanna fly...

Frustrated Flyer...
That (and most other) brushless setup will be lighter than the stock setup... you'll be tail heavy if you didn't do anything to counter the weight lost from ditching the brushed motor + gear box... like put the ESC in the nose with the motor... among other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
I use the ar400 works great and its only $29
I need auxiliary channels (not AIL) for certain accessories that get turned on and off from my Tx, like my switched landing light.

i.e. gear, aux

Am also trying to shave a few grams here, few grams there... where I can... to offset some of my mods and keep it as close to stock weight as possible. That Lemon-RX is feather light which is appealing.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Feb 18, 2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:58 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,838 Posts
ModelAero

Sorry for the off topic but I seen this in my Park Flyer mag.
http://modelaero.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?

There was a popular one out a year or two ago. Could fly off the grass, onto water, snow, whatever. It was more square and I think it had large flaps. Awesome flying! Can't remember the name.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:46 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperRon View Post
My Super Cub is flying tail heavy. How do you all add weight to the front of the plane.??
Move the battery forward. Cut foam or battery box away. Whatever it takes to balance out.

Quote:
Hey, wop...

I just came across some info from 2 different sources that now has me leery of using the Power Up dsm2 Rx I bought from HURC.
Dude just fly the damn plane. Youre playing barbie doll with a cheap foam plane made for beginners to crash and learn and have fun.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:13 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Dude just fly the damn plane. Youre playing barbie doll with a cheap foam plane made for beginners to crash and learn and have fun.
A cheap foam plane that I'm making into something that's more than just a beginner plane to be crashed... I already have one of those ... and this one ain't so cheap anymore with all the stuff I've done to and am still doing to it. If I crash it due to my own dumb thumbs that's one thing and I'm fine with that... if I crash or even lose it due to faulty electronics that I knew had a reputation before hand and went ahead and used them anyway I'd be kicking myself.

My goal with this project, before I even bought it, was to turn it into something that I wanted if I could find it, but it apparently doesn't exist... a durable foam 1/8 or 1/9 scale Super Cub that's easy to fly, is easily repairable and has readily available parts, most of which I can get 7 days a week 10 minutes down the road from me. What I'd ideally like is to have something like the Pat Tritle designed balsa kit Super Cubs but I don't have the experience to build or, more important, repair those types of planes. Even with all my scale mods this thing will have, short of it going up in flames, there's nothing I wouldn't be able to repair on it in an hour or over night.
RCG Plus Member