Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Leave it. It's there for a reason.
What's there for a reason, bro?

If you mean the thrust angle, yeah I know that. I'm talking about getting the shaft out the center of the cowl hole... and I can see now that I will in fact have to center it otherwise the collet clamp on certain prop adapters will probably rub. I'm talking about adjusting the motor to motor mount position, not the mount to firewall angle..

I'll post pics later, but I can already see that getting the 450 mount was a good move for me. Even though the E-flite 450 does fit behind the cowl on the 480 mount with about 2mm to spare, I compared that motor to my Power Up 450 motors when they arrived and the Power Up motor body collar extends a bit farther than the E-flite's... it's probably going to rub on the inside of the cowl if I use it with the 480 mount... which is probably why Gary told me I might need to cut the cowl if I used that particular combo.

There's another thing for me to consider though, even if all my 450 motors fit when placed on the 480 mount, and that's how far out the prop sits from the front of the cowl. I wasn't diggin' the look with one of my props and adapters.

I'll keep plugging away here... am about to swap out to the 450 mount.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:39 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
My Super Cub is flying tail heavy. How do you all add weight to the front of the plane.??
PiperRon is online now Find More Posts by PiperRon
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:41 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,506 Posts
Just adjust the cowl screws to compensate for the rubbing. Leave the motor and cowl hole alone. Redrill two holes on the firewall for the cowl screws and your golden.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:42 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperRon View Post
My Super Cub is flying tail heavy. How do you all add weight to the front of the plane.??
Try to move stuff foward if you can rather than adding dead weight. The battery is a good place to start.

When guys go brushless they usually place the ESC up front in the cowl with the motor.

Is yours stock?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:43 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,506 Posts
Quote:
Throw money at it. Seriously, just tape coins to the front bottom near the firewall and once you get it balanced glue them to the firewall inside the cowl using gorilla glue.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:49 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,700 Posts
Quote:
Just adjust the cowl screws to compensate for the rubbing. Leave the motor and cowl hole alone. Redrill two holes on the firewall for the cowl screws and your golden.
I'll keep that in mind as a last resort... don't really want to do that if I can help it.

I'll go put the 450 mount on and see what grows.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:56 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
Yes. My Cub is stock. I've taped a couple of quarters underneath just behind the cowl. Don't think that added the weight that I need. Do I just keep adding quarters until it looks like a big ole exhaust pipe hanging down.??
PiperRon is online now Find More Posts by PiperRon
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:07 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,700 Posts
Quote:
Yes. My Cub is stock. I've taped a couple of quarters underneath just behind the cowl. Don't think that added the weight that I need. Do I just keep adding quarters until it looks like a big ole exhaust pipe hanging down.??
When I need to add weight to my RC stuff I embed something heavy into some putty, then I can stick it anywhere. But, before doing that on a plane I'd first ask myself why is it tail heavy in the first place?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:51 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,700 Posts
Going to do this in 2 different posts.

Post 1 of 2

These combos are using 450 size brushless motors but with the (longer) aluminum mount for 480 motors. I'll do the 450/450 combo in my next post.

I don't mind some of the combos, one of them I don't like how far it puts the prop away from the cowl.

Thay all work physically, no cowl hacking required. Disregrad the thing I mentioned earlier about it looking like the Power Up 450's longer motor body collar was probably going to rub on the inside of the cowl... the diameter of that part of the motor is smaller than the hole in the cowl so it just pokes through if it needs to. So, technically, I could have used this mount and not ordered the other "proper" one. Do most of the combos look better on the 450 sized mount? (in my next post) ... "I" think so.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Feb 16, 2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:09 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,700 Posts
Post 2 of 2

These are the combos with the "proper" shorter 450 sized aluminum mount for my 450 sized brushless motors. Although the 480 mount does technically work with all my motors with no cowl hacking... this just looks better which is important to me with all my scale mods I'm doing to this plane.

There actually is one case where the "wrong" 480 mount works better with 450 motors... and that's when using my Du-Bro spinner which uses a back plate behind the prop. The rear of this spinner's collet sits flush with the back of the plate so you can't have the collet recess into the cowl opening like with regular prop adapters. This means you can't "bottom out" the collet right up to the motor so there is less shaft for the spinner to clamp onto, less meat for it to grab. It therefore works better with the mount that sticks the motor more forward and thus shoves a longer length of shaft out of the cowl opening (i.e. the 480 mount).

I've been thinking I might keep the E-flite 450 motor even though I bought 2 different Power Up 450's (2 different kv) for less than the price of the E-flite. My flying buddy loves them and says if smooth and quiet is one of my goals then I'd love it too. I know from a private converstion I had with one of our members here that he loves them also... peer pressure! Then again, I haven't run any of them yet... maybe the Power Up motors are quiet too, they definitely don't feel as smooth turning them in my hand.

... If I decide to keep the E-flite I can keep one Power Up as a backup and maybe put the other one in a pusher prop swamp boat I might build for my Super Cub's rescue boat

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Feb 16, 2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:09 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,506 Posts
North, glad to see you got the picture text working. Now I see what you are worried about. May I gentle say that the differences in the shaft length are nothing. Just fly it. As long as it isn't rubbing the cowl there is nothing to worry about.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:35 AM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
yeah, if it's not rubbing i wouldn't worry. if there is a little rubbing i'd just use a dremel tool with sanding drum to open the hole a bit more.
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:39 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
North, glad to see you got the picture text working. Now I see what you are worried about. May I gentle say that the differences in the shaft length are nothing. Just fly it. As long as it isn't rubbing the cowl there is nothing to worry about.
Now that's what I'm talkin' about! FLY that mother!
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:13 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Now that's what I'm talkin' about! FLY that mother!
I think NASA developed, built, tested and flew the Space Shuttle in less time.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE