SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:17 AM
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
No! to get that kind of performance you have to get totally different gear! Airframe, motor, tx, everything! and go brushed!

Nav's first flight serves as a prime example, Gene's the cameradude
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC7cml6utlk
The Cursed Mentor Vacuum No Fly Zone!
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:05 AM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
No! to get that kind of performance you have to get totally different gear! Airframe, motor, tx, everything! and go brushed!

Nav's first flight serves as a prime example, Gene's the cameradude
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC7cml6utlk
LOL! Kids are the best!

I look back to a few years ago at home made stuff that I was trying to get to fly and I laugh pretty hard. This kid will one day look back at this video; that is, when he's building his own amazing planes with great success.
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:45 AM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
That's awesomea $1400 in your pocket (or LHS) bonus each year.

Three weeks and counting... KEEP IT UP !!
Make that $1,300.00 in the wife's purse each year!
If you have made it without smoking for three weeks, the worst is behind you. For the next year or so, everytime you step outside the house, you will find yourself reaching for the coffin nails just from habit, but that's not hard to resist. Congradulations!
Scarface26 is offline Find More Posts by Scarface26
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:54 AM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
http://s3.amazonaws.com/ultracart/im...wTmUti5VtGI%3D

I'm going to try this one last time. Hobbyzone has put out a 15 page article on modifications to the Super Cub BNF. Most of the mods will apply to the RTF version as well. Mods include power upgrades. wing clipping, adding ailerons, tundra tires, adding CF rods for strength, and more. This article is on the Hobbyzone website under the SC BNF info. I have tried posting this twice before without luck. I am not very good with computers. Hope this works. Somebody please let me know if the link works for you.
Scarface26 is offline Find More Posts by Scarface26
Last edited by Scarface26; Jan 22, 2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:54 PM
SoCal
Joined Mar 2010
9 Posts
It works.

With the exception of the main wing mods,I have done the rest of those mods to my Cub in some some fashion. I'm running a take out motor, prop, and ESC from a T-28 that received a motor up grade. I mounted it with a Corsair mount and plywood adapter. I use 3S 2200 mah Turnigy batteries mounted vertically in the forward end of the modified battery box, they load through the original door. My RX is a donated Spectrum park flyer 6 channel. Du pro tundra tires, 1" tail wheel, CF in the tail etc. These mods were all done with mostly donated cast offs from my flying buddies, and ideas from them as well. The plane flys awsome, loops, vertical, inverted, fairly fast, I love it.
Thanks to Ron and Corky for the help and thank you for the link. Wing mods are in my plans.

Craig
sracecraft is offline Find More Posts by sracecraft
Old Jan 22, 2011, 03:35 PM
Joined Jan 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface26 View Post
http://s3.amazonaws.com/ultracart/im...wTmUti5VtGI%3D

I'm going to try this one last time. Hobbyzone has put out a 15 page article on modifications to the Super Cub BNF. Most of the mods will apply to the RTF version as well. Mods include power upgrades. wing clipping, adding ailerons, tundra tires, adding CF rods for strength, and more. This article is on the Hobbyzone website under the SC BNF info. I have tried posting this twice before without luck. I am not very good with computers. Hope this works. Somebody please let me know if the link works for you.
This is the message I got when trying the link... Will poke around hobby zone website to see if I can find it. Not doing any mods now but planning for future.

AccessDeniedRequest has expired874E3B28F1E12C052011-01-22T17:52:37Zg0txBOcB32uI14uLvzV/JZ8PLVbcfTbb6fd7mzAxoNKVRWZNn3VftZguUkWcCV/22011-01-22T20:32:12Z
pdwire is offline Find More Posts by pdwire
Old Jan 22, 2011, 04:54 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,601 Posts
Here It Is!

The link is kind of hard to find. It's hidden in the text to the right of the cub picture.

Thanks Scarface.
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:05 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Allright guys need a bit of advice, Whilst I am enjoying my Super Cub and can fly her pretty comfortably in winds up to around 15mph she does get bucked around a fair bit and has a hard time covering distance.

This is pretty standard as its not what it is designed for, however living in a beach suburb its rare that I get wind conditions of anything less then 5 MPH.

So question is, can you guys recommend a relatively starter plane that can handle said wind? Or should I stick with the SC and learn to fly it in those heave winds... OR do I throw on a new motor and ESC and beat the wind into submission?
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:31 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Alot of warbirds can handle wind well. Maybe the T-28?
SC with the right power system and ailerons (important) can handle lots of wind
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:39 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
What about the Stinson Reliant?

Same price as the T28
Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:50 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked View Post
Allright guys need a bit of advice, Whilst I am enjoying my Super Cub and can fly her pretty comfortably in winds up to around 15mph she does get bucked around a fair bit and has a hard time covering distance.

This is pretty standard as its not what it is designed for, however living in a beach suburb its rare that I get wind conditions of anything less then 5 MPH.

So question is, can you guys recommend a relatively starter plane that can handle said wind? Or should I stick with the SC and learn to fly it in those heave winds... OR do I throw on a new motor and ESC and beat the wind into submission?
When you upgrade your cub to a brushless you will find you can get through the wind much better. Ailerons will help with control but you need power to blast into the wind.
I have a E-flite park 480 and it pulls through any wind.

I also have a couple Multiplex Easy Stars with modified rudder and upgraded motors and a gyro that fly better in the wind then the upgraded SC,.

The best plane I have for wind is a Stryker but that a totally different beast.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:16 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Thanks 2500GENE I have been practicing a fair bit with the SC now and am pretty confident with it and can pull a few tricks and do some inverted flight, touch and go's and some nice little Immelman turns.

Its fun in the wind... jsut gets thrown around a fair bit. Thinking either the Parkzone P51 BL or the Parkzone F4U Corsair.

Also because you guys have helped me so much over the past 2 months im hoping the collective wisdom in here can shed some light.

When browsing Hobbyking.com I notice some planes etc look the same as FMS/Freewing models, are they actually those brands or just HK knock off's? The description doesn't say/
Last edited by cloaked; Jan 22, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
44 Posts
Question about Struts

I was able to get out tonight after the winds calmed down... only my 3rd time out with the SC and the first two encounters ended with TREES. Well much better this time now that I had spent some time on the sim but not perfect. Had two good flights and one good landing.. the other one I hit the only obtacle in the entire field..a light pole. The wing just grazed as it was coming in under no power for a landing. When I went to retrieve the struts on one side were broken. I have checked on the mods and plan on going with the fishing wire but was just wondering..

what is the purpose of the struts??

The struts that came with the cub fit very loosely and I can't seem them actually adding any stabilization to the wing.. should I even bother to replace?

Thanx for any help.
pdwire is offline Find More Posts by pdwire
Last edited by pdwire; Jan 22, 2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:28 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,601 Posts
The struts keep the wing from folding up during high +G maneuvers.
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:29 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Yess in fact, It is neccesarry to have the struts. You cant tell when it's on the ground.

When the plane is at rest on the ground, there is no lift, so the wind is not being acted on by any force (except gravity). Gravity pulls the wing down to the point of max droop.

However, when the plane is flying, the wing is lifting the entire plane, because of a combination of dihedral and the wing disign, the tips of the wing hold the most weight of the plane. This is why struts are necessary.

In level, straight gliding it may be ok without struts, but many (myself included) have seen a good wing fold from not using the struts.

Try picking your plane up by the wing tips only, you will see that the wing flexes significantly, this simulates straight, level gliding.

DONT DO THIS--- If you pick up your wing and bounce the plane up and down, it will likely snap or at least crack----DONT DO THAT It would simulate something to the effect of a sudden gust or a sharp pull up.

So struts are very necessary, until you get substantial carbon fiber spars in the wing, I have some and I still use wire struts.

The fishing line should work, but I prefer multistranded wire, like fishing leader, or some multistranded electric wire.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot