SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:02 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryznic View Post
Does anyone know the diameter of the prop shaft? I am looking for some sort of adapter to run a prop I bought off hobby king.

Just in case the prop in question is one of these

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=5512

J.X.F. 10x6

Just ordered some 2.5 inch wheels, 1 inch rear wheel. May get some floats too since its getting snowy out here on the east coast.
stock shaft is 4mm. There are tons of adapers for it with 4mm ID and 1/4"(6mm) OD.

E-flite, HeasUp Rc, and other brands and places to get 'em including HK.

Props sometimes need to be reamed or some come with various inserts.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:34 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,245 Posts
Question for the electronics gurus...

I'm running 3 pairs of 30 gauge Kynar wire down my left wing to power my landing light, red nav light and white wing strobe (all are on separate circuits since one is static and hard wired, one is switched and one runs from the strobe circuit). I can't find a definitive answer on how important or even necessary it would be to twist the pairs (or even all of the wires as a bundle). It's not like they're servo wires carrying data but I'm wondering if they can cause issues with my receiver with a 2.4ghz system? In other words, I'm not concerned with the wires receiving noise but I am concerned about them emitting it or acting as an antenna. If it's not necessary, I can get a cleaner install if I can string them out in straight parallel pairs. In fact, I'd actually prefer to lose the wire altogether and run thin strips of conductive tape I bought for such purposes.

I'm not asking about anything to do with the LED circuit design... just the parallel straight runs of wire or tape vs. the twisting thing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:06 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,705 Posts
I'm not a electronic guru so maybe I shouldn't comment, but I don't think you will have a problem. All those wires pose less of a blockage to your antenna then your Lipo or ESC from interference.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:16 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
I'm not a electronic guru so maybe I shouldn't comment, but I don't think you will have a problem. All those wires pose less of a blockage to your antenna then your Lipo or ESC from interference.
What about not so much a blockage but acting as an antenna and creating shadows that the receiver might pick up... or would the wires have to actually connect to the Rx for that to happen?

Here's another thought I just had while looking at the description of the tape I mentioned which goes like this...

100% Brand New
Size : 5mm (width) × 20m (length)
Used in LCD , circuit board connection , computer , electromagnetic shielding in communication equipment gaps , widely used in notebook cable wire.

This conductive tape is plating high conductive copper and nickel on high strength of polyester fiber , with high conductivity coating of acrylic adhesive . It has high flexibility , electric conductivity , wear resistance , high temperature resistance and shielding effect.

I was thinking I could run my wires straight and parallel like I want... then shield them with the tape.

Name: 231.jpg
Views: 24
Size: 48.5 KB
Description:
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:30 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,245 Posts
Quote:
The shield won't work unless you solder a wire to the shield and then plug that into the negative of your lipo. I did that with my ESC shield.
Hmmm. If i was going to connect the shield electrically I might as well just use it as the wire... or no?

By the way, what's the purpose of doing what you did to your ESC?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:43 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Hmmm. If i was going to connect the shield electrically I might as well just use it as the wire... or no?

Paranoia.
The wires going to your lights should not affect anything.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:51 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post

To up the PWM of the ESC without radio interference. Just have been flying it around with the shield in stock 8 ghz to see if the shield has any heat issues. So far so good. Might try going up to 16GHZ this weekend.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:00 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Paranoia.
The wires going to your lights should not affect anything.
Hope so... I'd like to go for the cleanest install, which would be parallel lines of the tape

Quote:
To up the PWM of the ESC without radio interference. Just have been flying it around with the shield in stock 8 ghz to see if the shield has any heat issues. So far so good. Might try going up to 16GHZ this weekend.
I know what PWM is and that our ESC's use it... but what do you mean upping it?... how can you even do that and why would you want to? Just curious
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:24 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,705 Posts
Reprogram the ESC on models that allow you and increase the efficiency. The reason all ESCs are set at 8 is because very little chance of radio interference. Outrunner motors don't like 8GHZ they like 16GHZ, but then you have a potential radio problem. My shield is to have the best of all worlds if it works.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:15 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,635 Posts
North, can you describe (in your best words) how the wing ends feel after doing it with EZE-Kote? IE: Is it very firm/hard? Can you put a dimple in it with your finger nail? I'm trying to get a better understanding of how hard/soft/pliable the end results should feel like.

If you tell me it's "hard as nails" then I'll have no choice but to go with the EZE-Kote when I do the top side.

@ChompAre you doing the glass coat with water based poly? Have you started yet?

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:29 PM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
North, can you describe (in your best words) how the wing ends feel after doing it with EZE-Kote? IE: Is it very firm/hard? Can you put a dimple in it with your finger nail? I'm trying to get a better understanding of how hard/soft/pliable the end results should feel like.

If you tell me it's "hard as nails" then I'll have no choice but to go with the EZE-Kote when I do the top side.

Mike.
Chap,
My original intention was to use two part Z-Poxy and lightweight glass cloth. However I had a drastic change of plan after I had trouble finding a paint that would actually adhere to Z Foam. So as I ended up covering my fus in Solarfilm I did the same to the wing. This has the effect of making the wing 'ding proof' as far as minor knocks go. I won't be adding any more weight with glass now. I hope to finish my 'pimping' project this week ready to take to the skies again so watch this space.
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:21 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompwat View Post
Chap,
My original intention was to use two part Z-Poxy and lightweight glass cloth. However I had a drastic change of plan after I had trouble finding a paint that would actually adhere to Z Foam. So as I ended up covering my fus in Solarfilm I did the same to the wing. This has the effect of making the wing 'ding proof' as far as minor knocks go. I won't be adding any more weight with glass now. I hope to finish my 'pimping' project this week ready to take to the skies again so watch this space.
Great! I hope you post some pics when it's all done. I'll have to do some googling on that "Solarfilm." Sounds interesting.

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:32 PM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
453 Posts
Quote:
Great! I hope you post some pics when it's all done. I'll have to do some googling on that "Solarfilm." Sounds interesting.

Mike.
http://www.solarfilm.co.uk/

It's made in the UK but I think its exported worldwide. Certainly similar products like Oracover are widely available. I'm really pleased with the results. There will be pics soon!
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:30 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Reprogram the ESC on models that allow you and increase the efficiency. The reason all ESCs are set at 8 is because very little chance of radio interference. Outrunner motors don't like 8GHZ they like 16GHZ, but then you have a potential radio problem. My shield is to have the best of all worlds if it works.
Cool, so your particular ESC allows you to actually reprogram its operating frequency?

Quote:

Mike.
Mike, I'd say, without doing another cloth coat, it's road rash proof which was my main goal but probably not super ding proof if hit at an angle other than directly laterally at the edge of the tip where a nav light would be... like I mentioned in the pm, every time I did a top or bottom layer I took the cloth over the edge so the edge got a double dose of glassing as far as number of cloth layers. If I stick my fingernail into the actual top or bottom surface it's a bit soft but no more so than a couple layers of thick packing tape would be (but you wouldn't be able to form tape nicely around all the curved and humped surfaces without kinking and stuff).

Part of why it still does that is because it's still sitting on top of foam which is going to have some give... like when I posted a while ago about the issue I can still see happening with the pospsicle stick wing saddle mod, if you remember. The only way to avoid that would be to use something that's, as you said, hard as nails and thick... which is also likely going to be brittle and not practical. With the mass and speed of this cub, I don't think there's much you're going to be able to do to completely protect the wing edges from blows without getting ridiculous with how many glassing layers you do regardless of the type of resin... but I can tell that it's definitely going to prevent what I wanted it too... the wing tips getting all chewed up when they tip into the ground, especially pavement, on rough landings... it can easily be touched up too. And the reason I want to prevent that is because I want the wing to last as long as possible with all the mods I'm doing to it... one of which is a couple of LEDs out on those wing tips. Actual hard impact dings to the leading edge I don't think are going to be able to be prevented, but can be repaired easily... I'm just going to tape those straight edges... or maybe I'll even do both glass and tape.

I used the EZE Kote only, and the cloth... no wbpu. It's perfectly seamless the way I feathered it into the wing... I could now paint it or cover it... I'll just be covering the actual wingtips for the scheme I want... with trim sheet.
RCG Plus Member