HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:38 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,310 Posts
With a name like Lemon doesn't that scare you?
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Maiden flight today. Took a bit of getting use to. Holy power batman. It took a lot of down elevator trim to get it to fly level. Are you guys typically needing to add some lead weight to the front to get a better CG? I think maybe it is tail heavy a bit causing my flight characteristics to be off a bit. I also felt that maybe I'm not getting enough aileron throw. I will try adjusting which hole I go in on the control horn.
bstansbu is offline Find More Posts by bstansbu
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:21 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,310 Posts
You are tail heavy or you need to shim the front of the rear horizontal stab 1/8" in the front leading edge.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,954 Posts
Measure back 2 1/4 inch from the front of the main wing. Put your fingers on the marks and see if the plane balances.
The new motor is lighter i had to move my battery more forward. Try moving components before adding weight if ya can.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:06 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,310 Posts
There isn't much room to move components in a Super Cub. Just add a little lead to the firewall and you should be fine. I usually do put the ESC up front in the cowl though. Plus a smidge of lead.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:33 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,475 Posts
I use this for adding weight to things. I embed some of it in some butyl putty and I can stick it anywhere I want. I use it when balancing my RC truck/buggy wheels. It's basically shot pellets.

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=DXMBD38

Name: dxmbd38.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 19.9 KB
Description:
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:38 PM
How's the wind today?
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Oct 2011
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstansbu View Post
Maiden flight today. Took a bit of getting use to. Holy power batman. It took a lot of down elevator trim to get it to fly level. Are you guys typically needing to add some lead weight to the front to get a better CG? I think maybe it is tail heavy a bit causing my flight characteristics to be off a bit. I also felt that maybe I'm not getting enough aileron throw. I will try adjusting which hole I go in on the control horn.
I had to add 30 grams to my fire wall. I recall my first test flight with my Project Cub BL conversion being just like yours.
Rcbyair is offline Find More Posts by Rcbyair
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:52 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,954 Posts
Use the lipo to balance.
It does not have to be constrained by the shape of the battery box.
Mine is stuffed a couple inches into the foam firewall to balance out.
Lighter is better with cub. No need to add weight on purpose.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:27 PM
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
You are tail heavy or you need to shim the front of the rear horizontal stab 1/8" in the front leading edge.
Can you explain what you mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Measure back 2 1/4 inch from the front of the main wing. Put your fingers on the marks and see if the plane balances.
The new motor is lighter i had to move my battery more forward. Try moving components before adding weight if ya can.
I can't move anything else fwd. I could put the esc in the front by the Motor but that would require soldering extensions and I don't want to tackle that just yet
Plus the esc weighs next to nothing.
Quote:
There isn't much room to move components in a Super Cub. Just add a little lead to the firewall and you should be fine. I usually do put the ESC up front in the cowl though. Plus a smidge of lead.
I'm going to head to the local tire shop and see if they can spot me an oz worth of the tire balancing lead. I'll stick some to the fire wall.
bstansbu is offline Find More Posts by bstansbu
Last edited by bstansbu; Feb 05, 2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:05 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,310 Posts
You need to change the tail plane incidence my putting a popsicle stick under the leading edge of the horizontal stab and then screw it down. Just in the fuselage area.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:57 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,071 Posts
Quote:
You need to change the tail plane incidence my putting a popsicle stick under the leading edge of the horizontal stab and then screw it down. Just in the fuselage area.
I can't understand why it should be nessesary to change the incidence of either the tail or main wing. If the COG is correct then that should be it.
When the power system is changed, then of course if lighter motors are used then extra weight needs to be added to the front.
With extra power the SC will want to climb. This is what the trim controls are for.
Trim for climb, trim for level flight, and trim for landing.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:20 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,310 Posts
Try it you'll like it.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:54 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I can't understand why it should be nessesary to change the incidence of either the tail or main wing....
If the plane climbs severely under full throttle tuning wing/H-stab incidence will reduce that tendency. Ideally what you want to wind up with is a setup that has as little elevator trim as possible during your most used throttle setting.
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX7 Programing - Ultimate...
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:08 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,909 Posts
Turner, there are many fresh water fishing weights you can try. Some have hooks whereas you could just hook inside the fuse to see how it goes. Some lead weights are flat, some long and round. The possibilities are endless.
http://www.basspro.com/Fishing-Termi...0uxaf#Category

Living in Florida, you shouldn't have a hard time finding a tackle shop..

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:40 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,954 Posts
Man you guys are killin me hahahaha!!!!
Planes are supposed to be fun. So if you can just add some weight to get the sucker up in the air then rock on. Fly and enjoy it.
But adding weight as a permanent CG solution to a light foam plane is an all around bad idea in my opinion.
You got a huge ass lipo battery. Move it around till the plane balances. Whats the point of modifying the battery box if the end product still leaves you tail heavy?

But either way its all about fun. I think the plane will be more fun to fly the lighter you can build it though.

In terms of the angle of incidence i agree with QuitYoBitchen. That is my favorite superCub mod of all time. From what i have read previously in this thread i guess they designed the cub to have favorable flight characteristics of a 3 channel trainer. The plane naturally wants to nose up which helps keep a beginner from crashing.

Once you learn to fly that becomes annoying and actually makes the plane harder to control with accuracy. I think its easier and much more solid to raise the tail edge of the main wing. Instead of messing with the skinny footprint of the rear stabilizer. But the effects are the same. You can test the mod in about 30 seconds. Cut a strip of cardboard or stick a rubber band under the back of the main wing before you position it on the plane.