SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:30 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Mar 2006
628 Posts
Aileron's Installed!

Well, I finished installing ailerons to my Super Cub today. Haven't had a chance to maiden it with the new changes, though. Need to add some color and patterns to the wing so that I can see the airplane in the air. I did not take the dihedral out of the wings. I want to see how she rolls first. The guy at the LHS told me that it will roll fine, even with the dihedral. We'll see how ugly it is. Don't imagine I'll get a nice, fast, axial roll with this thing.
cgschaefer is offline Find More Posts by cgschaefer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:36 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Nice, clean job, cgs...
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:58 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgschaefer View Post
Well, I finished installing ailerons to my Super Cub today. Haven't had a chance to maiden it with the new changes, though. Need to add some color and patterns to the wing so that I can see the airplane in the air. I did not take the dihedral out of the wings. I want to see how she rolls first. The guy at the LHS told me that it will roll fine, even with the dihedral. We'll see how ugly it is. Don't imagine I'll get a nice, fast, axial roll with this thing.
Very nice job. It'll be a corkscrew roll but it will roll.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:15 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,917 Posts
I was going to keep this my dirty little secret until I finished my scale mods on my SC , but since I let the cat out the bag over at one of the Champ threads I thought I'd post it here where it actually belongs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Speaking of precise, you should see the gold mine of official Piper Super Cub blueprints I just came across in PDF format I've already downloaded 37 of them including the two I wanted most... a flat pattern for the windshield and a front view of the landing gear and suspension... both of which I can cut or bend to directly if I print them to scale I should end up with most scale HZ Super Cub ever done! I could tell you where to find them, but then I'd have to kill you :
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
North, you have to link us to those plans man. Dang it...I am just about to start a scratch build project. That is a tempting thought. I love cubs.
Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
You are killing me, man! If you don't post those plans, I'm going to spam you with pictures of pre-WWI flying machine crashes.

I'll probably make a paypal donation... I'm happier than a pig in #%@$

http://www.supercubproject.com/drawings/

Name: pa-18-drawings.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 146.1 KB
Description: Name: sample-gear.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 102.2 KB
Description:
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:03 PM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Old electrics stripped out, new electrics in for the B/L conversion, just waiting for the motor mount to arrive from the States.

What to do in the meantime?

How about a makeover!

I'll probably glass the wing tips and l/e before painting!

Detailing on fus tomorrow.
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:23 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,486 Posts
Hey North Good find. Now tell us how "really" excited you are

Chomp, I too am getting ready to glass coat my wing tips. As much as I wanted to go with the EZE-Kote, my Bud talked me out of it so, I'll be doing the water base poly. I'm also thinking of doing the leading edge of the wing. Tail feathers? Any thoughts Guys?

BTW, I'll be doing 3 fiberglass coats (21g).

Looking good Chomp..a "BIG" Champ...LOL

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:41 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,917 Posts
Mike, I'm putting tail brace wires on the SC like the ones on my Champ so I'm not glassing anything in the rear (although I have contemplated the rear of the fuse itself where I see guys sometimes snap it in two, but that's more of a CF fix I think than glassing). If I had have done the tail brace wires right out of the box with the Champ I would never have developed any creases in the first place... they work really well.

Was looking at the tail of the SC last night... vertical and horizontal stabs are fairly rigid to begin with, I probably don't even need the brace wires but I'm putting them there for scale appearance anyway... and I'm sure they won't hurt during cartwheels Should be better than glassing 'cause it'll keep any of the stabs from folding over at the root. (but I think I told you that before)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:51 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,917 Posts
EDIT
unless you mean glass the tail feathers for the same reasons as the wing tips... preventing road rash and lateral dings to the edge?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:52 PM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Chomp, I too am getting ready to glass coat my wing tips. As much as I wanted to go with the EZE-Kote, my Bud talked me out of it so, I'll be doing the water base poly. I'm also thinking of doing the leading edge of the winge . Tail feathers? Any thoughts Guys?
BTW, I'll be doing 3 fiberglass coats (21g).

Looking good Chomp..a "BIG" Champ...LOL

Mike.
Yes I thought it looked like a big Champ.
My wife thinks I've stolen some road paint that is used for the dreaded 'Double Yellow Lines' we have here in the UK to restrict parking.
I have to agree the colour is pretty close.
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:26 PM
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Finally joined after much lurking in this Super Cub mod thread. I learned a lot and it gave me the confidence to mod mine.
-bigger wheels front and tail
-aileron mod
-480 Eflight Brushless
-Orange Reciever from Hobby King
-ESC 30AMP hobby King
-10,6 prop
Parkzone 1800 3S battery

Im waiting on my carbon fiber bar to give me a stronger wing. In the mean time, I plan to maiden tommorow and take it easy. I did shorten the strut supports to keep the wings from flexing to much. I painted the cowl and added some stickers. When I get more time I will paint the whole bird.

bstansbu is offline Find More Posts by bstansbu
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:04 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
You should be cool have fun tomorrow!!!
Is your plan to cut the wing and flatten it?
Pulling it down with the struts will work.
Forms a bow shape but will fly just fine.
No need to take it easy tomorrow if you didnt cut the wing.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:14 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,486 Posts
Welcome Stan. Your SC looks nice. Did you disconnect the ACT? Do you plan to do the battery box mod. How does your battery fit in the box now?

Mike.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:23 PM
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
You should be cool have fun tomorrow!!!
Is your plan to cut the wing and flatten it?
Pulling it down with the struts will work.
Forms a bow shape but will fly just fine.
No need to take it easy tomorrow if you didnt cut the wing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Welcome Stan. Your SC looks nice. Did you disconnect the ACT? Do you plan to do the battery box mod. How does your battery fit in the box now?

Mike.
Hey guys! thanks for the welcome.
No plan to cut the wing. By shortening the plastic struts it kinda straitened it out a bit I think. Can't wait until tomorrow to try it out.

ACT was disconnected a while back. I hated that feature. I just now took out the big black box and put in my own receiver. I cut out a lot of the plastic in order to give me room to mount my 1800 battery. I stuffed some foam in there so the battery fits vertical and snug.
bstansbu is offline Find More Posts by bstansbu
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:52 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,486 Posts
2500GENE has a nice battery box mod in his blog. Just click on his user name a few posts back. You'll find his blog very useful

Mike.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:54 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,580 Posts
I put a 10x5 Zinger wood prop on my Super Cub with a RCTimer 1120 Kv 450 motor and it was so powerful it ripped off the firewall. Luckily it was low it fell out of the air like a rock. Check you firewalls if you have an old airframe with tons of power.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen