quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:37 AM
In need of a job....
Hamilton, NJ
Joined Feb 2008
216 Posts
Hello all,

I have been out of the game for a while and I finally found my Super Cub in storage and want to get it back in the sky soon. I have the original SC, the red/white one that ran in Nimh batts. I see that the new model runs on lithium batts and was wondering if I could just use a lithium batt on my original SC. I vaguely recall someone saying that the propeller created too much drag to run lithium and that you had to use a different one, but looking at the new SC blue/white model it seems to have the same prop but runs a lithium battery.

Can someone provide any thoughts on this? Thanks!
kryznic is offline Find More Posts by kryznic
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:14 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,287 Posts
The stock prop is 9X6 using the 3S lipo batt (we call them lipos). Are you considering changing out the guts? How old is your SC. Can you post any pics?

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:25 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,287 Posts
Hey Guys, I just finished balancing my stock prop. WOW, it was way out. After some research I found out you just can't hang the prop off a screwdriver, get it level (horizontally). Much more to it peeps. You need to balance the hub as well. I put up a vid a few pages back from HH explaining all this. This is the balancer recommended by North. IMHO, worth every penny

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD712&P=FR

The drawback. It won't do smaller than 3mm shafts. I'm thinking drill rod.

Mike.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:30 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,527 Posts
Isn't there a simple change to the stock Rx/ESC to change from NiMH to LiPo? A jumper needs to be removed I think.
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:04 AM
In need of a job....
Hamilton, NJ
Joined Feb 2008
216 Posts
I was digging thru my stuff and I found a 10x8 prop. I actually found a few. I bought a couple that seem to be much heavy thick plastic than the actual SC props, I forget where I bought them from, Hobby King maybe. Anyways, I wasn't considering changing any guts, I just want to get it in there air on the cheap and I already have the lipos ;o).

I do remember also something about removing a jumper for a voltage cutoff or something?

My SC is probably 3 years old, maybe 4. It only made a few flights before I got discouraged and went back to my RC cars, but I am determined to get back into flying. My wife says I need a hobby lol. It worked perfectly when I stored it away, I am charging a battery right now to give it a quick test. (nimh batts, I haven't switched over to lipo yet)

I also upload a pic of my props. The top one is the a spare orignal 10x8?
The second is a SC 10x8 And the third is the one from Hobby King also a 10x6 but much better quality, thicker, heavier. I dunno if that one will work.

What do you think? Thanks for helping me!
Last edited by kryznic; Jan 31, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:14 PM
Willmar, Minnesota, United States
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
NICE... I did the review on another forum for that little cub (the original version, like yours)
I started converting it for my kid this winter (still haven't finished it yet tho )
I'm sure it's been mentioned.. unplug /DISable the ACT .. (automatic crash technology :^) ) and you'll do fine.
I do NOT think the original ESC will handle Lipo's... I'm planning to replace the brick entirely.
Jim Buzzeo is offline Find More Posts by Jim Buzzeo
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:35 PM
In need of a job....
Hamilton, NJ
Joined Feb 2008
216 Posts
Thanks I think I answered my own question in regards to the prop size. I checked Horizon Hobby's website for the specs on the SC that comes with a lipo vs the SC that comes with nimh batt and the lipo version has a 9x6 and the nimh version has a 10x8

I also just watched this vid on youtube of a fella who is using lipos and he mentions just removing the jump for the voltage cutoff, which is how I remember it back from a much older super cub thread. So I guess I will see if one of these props work. Not sure if they will however because I have 10x6 instead of 9x6. So I am little confused with the prop selection at the moment.

I did however just fire up my SC and it's good to go with the exception of the main shaft looks a bit wobbly. Can anyone comment on this vid I took and let me know if I should be concerned?

Super Cub Shaft wobble (0 min 15 sec)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:58 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,287 Posts
I'm sure you put your finger tips on it to feel for wobble. I think there's a rule of thumb. If you can feel the wobble it's NG. Seeing it is harder. A straight shaft and balanced prop should give you better performance. Just me.

Mike
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:09 PM
In need of a job....
Hamilton, NJ
Joined Feb 2008
216 Posts
Thanks Mike! I have to order some rubber bands so might as well buy a 2 dollar shaft to be safe.

I have one more question if anyone has any knowledge on this. On my radio my trims are adjusted almost to the max for elevator and rudder. How or what do I need to adjust on my plane so that I can get those trims as close to center as possible?

Oh and if anyone has any good reading on the effects of prop size on the draw of the motor/battery I would love to see it.

Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:55 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,501 Posts
For brushless a 10x6 is the best for power and economy. With a Eflite 480 920 kv 10x7 is just too fast and a power hog 34amps if I remember. My little Eflite 450 motor Cub at half throttle used to like the 10x7 sp apc, but I have now converted almost all to 10 x 6. 25 to 26 amps
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:14 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryznic View Post
Thanks Mike! I have to order some rubber bands so might as well buy a 2 dollar shaft to be safe.

I have one more question if anyone has any knowledge on this. On my radio my trims are adjusted almost to the max for elevator and rudder. How or what do I need to adjust on my plane so that I can get those trims as close to center as possible?

Oh and if anyone has any good reading on the effects of prop size on the draw of the motor/battery I would love to see it.

Thanks!
First, make sure your servo arms are centered or near center on the servo. If they are not remove and place them centered. After powering up to confirm centering, adjust the plastic clevises on the end of the control rod (turn left or right) until they are the right length, when installed on the control horn, where the elevator and rudder are in line with the stabilizer they are hinged to.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:35 PM
In need of a job....
Hamilton, NJ
Joined Feb 2008
216 Posts
Thanks guys! I am just waiting for my parts to come in the mail, wish I had a local hobby shop around here that carried this stuff.

In regards to props, what 10x7? Is this a measurement of the prop in some way?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:39 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryznic View Post
Thanks guys! I am just waiting for my parts to come in the mail, wish I had a local hobby shop around here that carried this stuff.

In regards to props, what 10x7? Is this a measurement of the prop in some way?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...21&postcount=2
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:45 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,700 Posts
A good primer
http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.co...ropellers.html

It's the 2nd page from this article
http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.co...ropellers.html