Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:28 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Hahahaha, Ron!

If mine lasts more than 10 minutes I drag out the beer and chips and throw a party!
That can only mean one thing for me....no party at all
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:59 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgschaefer View Post
I've recently upgraded my SC with a brushless motor, ESC, Spektrum RX, new prop, and 2200 maH LiPo. Weather has been pretty crappy so I haven't flown it yet. I want to add ailerons soon but I have a question: do I really need to straighten the wing and remove the dihedral before I install ailerons? Can I keep the dihedral, install ailerons, and still do rolls, fly inverted, and do mild aerobatics without a problem?
Hola!! The stock cub will fly inverted and do rolls. Ailerons with the dihedral is also tons of fun. Main wings are so cheap you can have several versions. I would recommend flying it stock if its your first plane.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:29 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Mar 2006
624 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, QB. I'm running a Turnigy 480 1020kV motor, a Turnigy 40A K-Force ESC, swinging an APC 10x5 prop, all mounted on a Custom RC parts aluminum motor mount. I also pulled out the stock RX and replaced it with a Spektrum AR600 RX. Powering it all with an Ultra Pulse 3S 35C 2250 mAh battery. The weak link might be the servos -- I kept the original servos. I also didn't reinforce the vertical or horizontals with a carbon spar but I don't plan to stress this guy much.

I haven't flown this yet, so I don't know how it will perform.
Well, I managed to fly the maiden flight of this configuration today, plus a second flight. Put 6 minutes on the first battery and 5 minutes on the second battery. With the new setup I was uncertain how long I could fly before LVC so I was pretty conservative. I suspect that I can fly 8 - 9 minutes on these batteries but I won't know until I finish charging them.

I was very impressed with this setup. I'm an advanced beginner so I'm not as experienced as you guys, but I did managed to write down a few notes (in no certain order):

* Only needed about 40% throttle on my Spektrum DX7s for steady state, level flight.
* Near vertical takeoff after about a 6 - 8 foot roll at 50 - 55% throttle.
* This is definitely a heavier aircraft than the stock SC (predominantly due to the battery) and I noticed that it has a much steeper glide slope during a landing approach. Very similar to my T-28. I need to practice my landings as I was constantly pulling back on the throttle too much and pulling back on the elevator stick at landing, stalling the aircraft close to touchdown. Resulted in several nose-overs. I need to learn to keep the throttle up a bit.
* Had dual rates set on the DX7s. Flew low rates (70%) with 25% expo. Way too mushy. Flew at high rates (100%) with 35% expo for remainder of flights. Much better.
* This setup is extremely quiet!
* Regarding throttle management in flight: while I could maintain level flight with about 40% throttle, it didn't take much throttle advance (say 45%) to get the model climbing at a decent rate of climb. Pretty sensitive around the trim point.

Looking forward to doing the aileron mod. I'll likely keep this wing as it is and buy another one to do the aileron mod. Probably will just eliminate the dihedral.
cgschaefer is offline Find More Posts by cgschaefer
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:30 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Mar 2006
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Hola!! The stock cub will fly inverted and do rolls. Ailerons with the dihedral is also tons of fun. Main wings are so cheap you can have several versions. I would recommend flying it stock if its your first plane.
Thanks, Chop! I'm not good enough on the sticks to be able to do rolls on the stock rudder/elevator SC. I'm only a few months into this hobby (but I love it!)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:35 PM
Joined Mar 2008
10,909 Posts
I also have a question as I will be heading to the LHS tomorrow. I have always hated "most" stock blades for my helis. That being said, what's a good recommendation for a decent prop going on a stock motor for the SC?

Speaking of props, thanks to all for your input. After much research I've decided to go with the DuBro #499 as recommended by North:
http://www.shopwiki.com/d/0/0/Tru-Sp...Dubro-Products

This 13 minute video was the absolute eye opener and decision maker. Well worth the watch

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=OXuNnYQO2s4#!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:37 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Mar 2006
624 Posts
Quote:
Well, I managed to fly the maiden flight of this configuration today, plus a second flight. Put 6 minutes on the first battery and 5 minutes on the second battery. With the new setup I was uncertain how long I could fly before LVC so I was pretty conservative. I suspect that I can fly 8 - 9 minutes on these batteries but I won't know until I finish charging them.
Just finished charging the battery from the maiden flight. That 6 minute flight only required 315 mAh to be put back into it. That's pretty impressive! I think the cell voltages on this 3S were down to about 4.08V or so when I began charging the battery. I did do some full throttle loops on the first flight but it was otherwise a benign flight -- mostly pattern work and figure 8's. Is a 15 - 20 minute flight out of the question with this setup?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:09 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Just finished charging the battery from the maiden flight. That 6 minute flight only required 315 mAh to be put back into it. That's pretty impressive! I think the cell voltages on this 3S were down to about 4.08V or so when I began charging the battery. I did do some full throttle loops on the first flight but it was otherwise a benign flight -- mostly pattern work and figure 8's. Is a 15 - 20 minute flight out of the question with this setup?
I would imagine you should get 15min flying like that as log as you don't fly like Ron a crazy man.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:23 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Chop! I'm not good enough on the sticks to be able to do rolls on the stock rudder/elevator SC. I'm only a few months into this hobby (but I love it!)
Just put the plane pretty high in the air and give full right or left. As it becomes upside down push the right stick up a little bit to keep somewhat of level flight. It does a barrel roll of sorts. Lots of fun to watch. When you are high in the air it doesnt matter how good or bad it rolls. If you find yourself in a nose dive and panic just pull back on the right stick. No matter which way the plane is flying at least you are back to level and can regain orientation and control.

I read your other post. The plane flies a lot better if you raise the tail edge of the main wing. It wont climb as bad under full throttle with your more powerful setup.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:16 PM
Joined Mar 2008
10,909 Posts
Quote:
Stay the course. You are doing great. Lipos need to be broken in gently and then graduate from there. You are very wise to pay attention to the 80% rule. IE: ma's put back into a pack after use.

Mike.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:34 PM
How's the wind today?
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Oct 2011
797 Posts
Hi Everyone,

For some fun in the snow check out how good wax from a Stolen Tea Candle works on the Optional Floats.

What a blast!!

Winter Cub Fun (6 min 24 sec)

RCbyAir
Rcbyair is offline Find More Posts by Rcbyair
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:56 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
I would imagine you should get 15min flying like that as log as you don't fly like Ron a crazy man.

Hey! easy, on the old man. I am the only one that read enough of your disclaimer to know hat you omitted...
Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:39 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcbyair View Post
Hi Everyone,

For some fun in the snow check out how good wax from a Stolen Tea Candle works on the Optional Floats.

What a blast!!

RCbyAir
Great video.
It's been great fun flying off the snow. I have some video of my home made skis which was shot by my 9 year old on my iPhone but Its proving stubborn to upload. I'll keep trying. Nowhere near as slick a production as yours Steve.
You should have a job as a TV presenter!
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:00 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Aha it's worked this time.
This video was filmed by a 9 year old on an iphone and edited in a hurry on imovie so it won't be winning any Oscars, but please sit back and enjoy

Super Cub on Home Made Skis (2 min 47 sec)
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:15 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,909 Posts
Chomp, great job on the DIY skis. It seems to maneuver quite well Now, enough of the "Rocky" tunes and get that sucker in the air

Mike.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:25 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcbyair View Post
Hi Everyone,

What a blast!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pk-t3NV8aE

RCbyAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompwat View Post
Great video.
It's been great fun flying off the snow. I have some video of my home made skis which was shot by my 9 year old on my iPhone but Its proving stubborn to upload. I'll keep trying. Nowhere near as slick a production as yours Steve.
You should have a job as a TV presenter!
Nice vid which begs the question. Did I see several scenes that were the same?

Mike.