HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:10 PM
sKrude up, Rejected!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Crasher View Post
3536 1100kv brushless. Moiunted a 9" x 7.5" prop.
BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
I cant remember the exact specs. But 9" diameter seems really small for that motor. Do you want top speed or tons of thrust?
The 3536 1100kv is more a torque monster than a high speed rev motor. The 11 or 12" prop might match it better.
I have run that motor on a Pz T28, used a 40a esc, 3s 2200 25c-30c,
11X7 apc prop,
huge improvement over stock set-up!

you should see what I've done with a T28, check my blog
DogFly. is offline Find More Posts by DogFly.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:24 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
Thanks to all that commented. I will hunt down an 11" prop and try some different pitch values to see what works well.
Blade Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:29 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
DogFly: You have way to much time on your hands for the projects on your blog. With all those planes and projects, you REALLY need to come over to the "dark side" and get some rotary wing (heli) projects. That's where you can sink your teeth into complex model issues and high $$.

My planes are the easy, low cost toys that keep on flying when the heli's are in the shop.
Blade Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:40 PM
sKrude up, Rejected!
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
I do have a few other planes in a variety of types and sizes, plus Blade MSR, 120SR(I think, heli not in front of me right now. beer too many to remember)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:12 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Guys who are going to stay in the hobby like to know certain information about their batteries to maintain them properly so they last. I don't lose sleep over my cheap sub $5 or $6 lipos... once you get into the larger ones like the ones in the SC they become expensive to replace. One of the top reasons to use a "smart" charger is that it will tell you how much juice (in mah) it put back into your battery... you use that info to make sure you are not discharging them past 80% capacity or they will be ruined over time... You do some test flights, gradually increasing your flight time and use the charger's info to figure out how long to time your flights so that you are practicing the 80% rule for lipo batteries. Once you have it figured out you don't need to keep doing this, but it's good to check it once in a while as your batteries age to see if you might want to adjust/reduce your timer..

If you consistently rely only on the LVC "safety" feature built into the planes and helis I know you have purchased, you WILL ruin your batteries. The factory LVC thresholds are set too low to keep batteries healthy.

That is just ONE of a smart charger's benefits. Another one is the likelihood that, as you grow in the hobby, you will likely need larger and more powerful batteries and a charger that can work with them. Once you get past the entry level Ready to Fly, Bind'n'Fly, Ready to Run etc. type vehicles, neither are likely to come with the vehicle. I was only a couple of months into the hobby before I needed a charger that could charge 2S 5000mah batteries. Once you have one with a good adapter array for it, it makes all your "dumb" chargers obsolete.

by the way, I pm'd you last night... don't know if you are set up for notification of that.
got your pm and thanks for all the info. honestly i dont think im going to be upgrading much maybe only as far as ailerons on this plane. i wanted to fly casually and relax every weekend or so for a couple hours since im so busy with work and other things. im not taking this on as a hobby though i did get a champ for little to no wind and smaller flying areas and thinking about the gamma rtf. so in that case maybe if people here can tell me how many minutes their stock batteries give them i can just time my flights, land a minute earlier and that way the batteries dont deplete past 80%. that way i can use the stock charger. i dont know if that would work though.
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:21 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,699 Posts
That would probably work. Maybe guys here can tell you how long they fly hard (really pushing it) on a stock setup... which would give you close to worst case scenario.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:24 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
honestly i dont think im going to be upgrading much maybe only as far as ailerons on this plane.
Thats the way to go! In my opinion putting a nice brushless motor onto a cub without ailerons is doing it backwards.

One tool everyone should have is a regular cheapo multimeter that measures AC and DC voltage. You can test your lipo with one of them. If interested i can go into greater detail where to put the tester leads and why.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:33 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,699 Posts
Those cheap ebay lipo meters just posted here again would be a valueable tool... they're under 3 bucks. Someone posted here or somewhere else what particular resting voltages equate to in percent discharged.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:35 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
got your pm and thanks for all the info. honestly i dont think im going to be upgrading much maybe only as far as ailerons on this plane. i wanted to fly casually and relax every weekend or so for a couple hours since im so busy with work and other things. im not taking this on as a hobby though i did get a champ for little to no wind and smaller flying areas and thinking about the gamma rtf. so in that case maybe if people here can tell me how many minutes their stock batteries give them i can just time my flights, land a minute earlier and that way the batteries dont deplete past 80%. that way i can use the stock charger. i dont know if that would work though.
Brady,
FWIW my approach to pretty much everything is K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

The charger with your plane is designed to do a job and it does it. It's not flash, and its not particularly quick but it works.

With the exception of ACT (disconnect at all costs), your plane is designed to fly and it does. Well enough to learn the basics of 3 ch RC flight.

Trust me, keep it simple, learn the basics and this will become an all consuming hobby. See my blog entry 'Addiction'

Then you can progress, but you must learn to walk first.

As for Lipo life, I use a timer. On a stock Cub using stock 1300 lipo I fly for 8 minutes of steady flight at half to three quarter throttle with a couple of take off and landings. Generally I have around 43% capacity remaining. (Checked with a watt meter) Plenty for long cell life. Let the battery cool for at least 15 mins before recharging to allow all internal activity to settle.

Enjoy your Cub, it's an excellent simple plane that can be modded until your hearts content once you've mastered the basics.

Happy flying
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:50 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompwat View Post
Brady,
FWIW my approach to pretty much everything is K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

The charger with your plane is designed to do a job and it does it. It's not flash, and its not particularly quick but it works.

With the exception of ACT (disconnect at all costs), your plane is designed to fly and it does. Well enough to learn the basics of 3 ch RC flight.

Trust me, keep it simple, learn the basics and this will become an all consuming hobby. See my blog entry 'Addiction'

Then you can progress, but you must learn to walk first.

As for Lipo life, I use a timer. On a stock Cub using stock 1300 lipo I fly for 8 minutes of steady flight at half to three quarter throttle with a couple of take off and landings. Generally I have around 43% capacity remaining. (Checked with a watt meter) Plenty for long cell life. Let the battery cool for at least 15 mins before recharging to allow all internal activity to settle.

Enjoy your Cub, it's an excellent simple plane that can be modded until your hearts content once you've mastered the basics.

Happy flying
WELL PUT! And... +1
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:21 PM
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Replacement battery for the stock Park Zone 1300 mAh

My cub is modded with ailerons and brushless as well as an 1800 mAh battery placed vertically through the battery box.

My question is really about finding the best deal on a replacement for the stock 1300mAh Parkzone for my Radian. There are many choices, but I'm looking for one the same size - it's a fit and CG trim issue is why I want the same size, as good or better reliability and less than $39 or whatever they are charging, no pun intended, for the ParkZone.

Thanks, and Fun Flyin'

Jaksno
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:21 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,699 Posts
I know alot of guys are probably going to recommend Turnigy. I've come across enough evidence that they perform great out of the box but don't last before they degrade, puff, limited number of charge cycles. My buddy has taken them apart and said the build quality on the Nanotech version of them is crap... soldering etc. Many people get them with dead cells right out of the box. My buddy said the regular Turnigy are actually better built and I've seen many others say that as well... but, they're still Turnigy with some of the same pitfalls.

I know the posts will come in saying "I haven't had any problem with mine" ... I'm staying away from them, personally.

I haven't used them yet, but I bought some Gens Ace... I use the brand in my surface RC's... perform as good as Thunder Power and last as long... alot of guys swear by them and will use nothing but them when organized racing. Have seen some evidence of QC issues on those as well but not as much. You can get this size (1300mah 25C) for about $24 direct out of china from sdshobby... hobbypartz if you're in the U.S. and they're even cheaper there.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...75&postcount=1
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Jan 25, 2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: edited url, spelling
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:35 PM
sKrude up, Rejected!
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
oops
Last edited by DogFly.; Jan 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM. Reason: already posted
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:44 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,699 Posts
Yup, posted that New Year's day

page 615
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:53 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,307 Posts
OK with all the videos we post of awesome short landings and takeoffs i propose a challenge lets get a Super Cub Fly-In STOL Competition what do you think????
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919