Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:06 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
http://www.trexlerballoonwheel.com/
If that is what you want to do, you need FAT balloon type wheels. See if you can find some 3 in. Trexlers. Those skinny wheels that you have, are just going to bury in the grass and nose ya over.
Look at the wheels on a FunCub for example of what rough terrain wheels should look like.
Rn
LOL, thanks Ron

So, what do you Guys have for measurements comparing to my pictures on the last page? I'm very curious

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:39 AM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
I'm catching up on the read here and ROFLMAO. You Guys are too much. And I thought the other thread I go to are outrageous...

Anyway I'd like to squeeze in a few pics to see what you Guys think. I went from 2 1/2" to 3" Sport wheels. The only thing I'm worried about...will this thing do a loop on take off Ha...

If you Guys could do a quick measurement to see the comparison, that would be great.

Mike.
I'm running 3.5 with no problem, and others are running larger. The tail wheel rises off the ground first, anyway.
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:53 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
My wheels are toed in and they also have camber...closer together at the bottom than at the top.

They were like that with a brand new landing gear wire. When i did the landing gear mod i pushed the wheels slightly forward and also pulled them slightly together. That affected the camber a tad.

Did a real quick measurement and depending where i measure i get from 6 5/8" to 7" center to center. Using 3" dude bro wheels.

My other cub does not have a reinforced landing gear wire. That sucker is always bending outta shape and i have to bend it back.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:36 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
I'm running 3.5 with no problem, and others are running larger. The tail wheel rises off the ground first, anyway.
Thanks rob. Nice plane! I love the personal touch with a sticker here and there

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
My wheels are toed in and they also have camber...closer together at the bottom than at the top.

They were like that with a brand new landing gear wire. When i did the landing gear mod i pushed the wheels slightly forward and also pulled them slightly together. That affected the camber a tad.

Did a real quick measurement and depending where i measure i get from 6 5/8" to 7" center to center. Using 3" dude bro wheels.

My other cub does not have a reinforced landing gear wire. That sucker is always bending outta shape and i have to bend it back.
Thanks wopa. my wheels were the same. Kinda cambered in on the bottom with a wider space at the top. Pretty weird, I thought. I carefully straightened the LG so the wheels look like they sit straight "up and down." I have hardwood floors and just did a roll test just to see how she rolled along. Straight as an arrow over 10 feet. Thanks jwp2 and 2500GENE for the input on straightening the tail wheel.

@2500GENE, I seem to be struck on your battery box mod.. The main object here is to get the pop sticks level or flush with the sides of the inside of the batt box if I'm reading your instructions correct on your blog. I hope this makes sense......I think I got it

Mike.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:46 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,574 Posts
Mike, subscribe to this channel to see a whole series of vids of all the common mods done in action

1-Fuselage Modifications (Battery Box) - HZ Super Cub Mods, Electronics & Covering (9 min 39 sec)
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Mike, subscribe to this channel to see a whole series of vids of all the common mods done in action

http://youtu.be/BjtM_faxRu4
That fella is VERY skilled at building/modding the SC...
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:45 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post

http://youtu.be/BjtM_faxRu4
Cool, thanks North. I'll put it in faves now and watch it later. I think I got it but just need a confirmation. You newbs know what it's like right?

Just out of curiosity, how do you all affix the wing to the fuse? IE: how many bands on one side, criss cross, etc. I assure you, I'll not be doing any loops anytime soon

Mike.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:59 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Not even. Put the plane kinda high. Pin the throttle and pull the right stick all the way down. The plane will loop and loop and do it till the battery is dead. Even if it turns a little sideways just hold it there. You could then let go...set the controller on the ground...and the plane will sorta level out on its own and keep flying.
Dont be afraid to jam the sticks around. Again just be high in the air. Crank the stick and watch and feel what happens. I think it really helps to learn how to fly. Seeing how the plane reacts.
I found if i have not flown for awhile. I take off and still a little jittery and off. Best thing to do is go nuts with the radio. Do rolls and loops and flip around. Seems to align the brain and make me not afraid to fly the plane instead of feeling stiff and not in total control.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:03 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,835 Posts
Thanks for that vid north. Ha, ha,...I kinda thought so but, I also hate to assume anything. We all know the meaning of "assume"

Moving onward

Mike.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:24 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Thanks rob. Nice plane! I love the personal touch with a sticker ...
Mike.
Not my plane; just some pix I pulled off this thread.

If you want to se some cool pix, go up to the blue bar and click "Thread Tools", then click "Show Attachments in this Thread" and you'll get lots of great ideas.

Rob
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:36 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,574 Posts
Quote:
Cool, thanks North. I'll put it in faves now and watch it later.
Mike.
No, problem, man.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:27 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2006
399 Posts
well, after a whole week or so i am finally done and finished with reading and researching the super cub, stratos and gamma 370. i decided on the super cub dsm rtf.

frankly, i got sick and tired of reading and it just never ended. i realized it always came back to the super cub. so i just made my order.
Luisfc1972 is offline Find More Posts by Luisfc1972
Last edited by Luisfc1972; Jan 18, 2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:07 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
453 Posts
Now that's the sort of invoice I like to see!
Welcome to the gang Luis.
There are many who have been around this forum much much longer than me, but I can tell you from my own experiences, you won't find a friendlier, more knowledgable or humorous bunch than this lot.
Keep us posted with reports of your Cub maiden.
Happy Flying

Chomps
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:20 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,764 Posts
Those 25c batteries are a good choice. Look forward to hearing more.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen