HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:36 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Crasher View Post
Ever since I started using UBEC's or Capacitors plugged into the RX - I have not had any problem with brown-outs, etc. in

We use capacitors plugged into the receiver in our RC cars and trucks if brown-outs are an issue... seems to be common with Spektrum systems (in surface RC) which fortunately I'm not using in any of mine even though I own some Losi buggies.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:47 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Well it sounds then that the 450 might be just what I'm looking for to accomplish my goals. Yes, I'm aware of necessary speed increase for any weight increase so I'm finding ways to do my scale mods as light as humanly possible... trying to think outside the box. I've managed to make 4" bushwheels (scale to the 35's on the real SC's which is the largest you can get them in by any manufacturer) that are only 25g each. To put that in perspective, I think I remember that being about 1/3 the weight of the floats when I put them on my scale, which I also own and will be using. I think the lesser weight of the 450 will counter some of the added weight of my big wheels and scale wing struts... as long as I can still get a good CG without adding dead weight. I don't want my battery vertical but I'll see if I can mod the compartment to get the battery more forward but still horizontal. I might put the ESC up front with the motor. Every dead weight gram I can shave off I will... like physically removing the ACT sensors etc.

My "great attention to detail" is otherwise known as OCD Ask Mike (Chap) about me and OCD'ing over "scale"

I noticed the lower current ratings on the 450... I assume this will be a non issue if propped correctly... and this is the one , correct?..

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=EFLM1400
Yep, that's the one. Get as many opinions as you can and weigh all the pros and cons for each. There are many right answers. There are many cheaper China motors that would preform the same but I'm kind of anal about quality electronics and have nothing but great luck with E-Flite. I use them on my Cubs, Easy Stars, Sky Surfers and Strikers with great results.
You prop the 450 right, as you will, and current isn't an issue. You will also buy a watt meter to measure amp draw while experimenting with prop size and be able to tweak out the best amps per thrust/speed you desire.
Like I said, get a lot of opinions and make an educated choice as I know you will.

Then I'll teach you how to fly a brick.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:59 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,408 Posts
Gene,

thanks, man.

Yes, I'll weigh all the options I've been given so far against my goals. I did mention that I'm willing to pay more for the E-flite to have it backed by both HH and my LHS which usually gets me instant over the counter warranty exchanges on stuff. My LHS will even give me something that Horizon is sending me on warranty so I can have it right away, and then just give them the mailed one from HH once it shows up... great manager there (which is maybe why it's called Great Hobbies )

I have the PowerLog which is re-branded everywhere... I think HK sells it under another name. There's a dedicated support thread for it here at RCG created by the designer/author. I bought it when I was trying to figure out proper gearing (amps, voltage, heat etc.) when I first bought my Losi buggy.

It's this one, bought it un-used off a buddy for $20...
http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=TGHE2001

Name: tghe2001_350.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 7.3 KB
Description:
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:14 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,971 Posts
Quote:
Gene,

thanks, man.

Yes, I'll weigh all the options I've been given so far against my goals. I did mention that I'm willing to pay more for the E-flite to have it backed by both HH and my LHS which usually gets me instant over the counter warranty exchanges on stuff. My LHS will even give me something that Horizon is sending me on warranty so I can have it right away, and then just give them the mailed one from HH once it shows up... great manager there (which is maybe why it's called Great Hobbies )

I have the PowerLog which is re-branded everywhere... I think HK sells it under another name. There's a dedicated support thread for it here at RCG created by the designer/author. I bought it when I was trying to figure out proper gearing (amps, voltage, heat etc.) when I first bought my Losi buggy.

It's this one, bought it un-used off a buddy for $20...
http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=TGHE2001

Good deal.

After all this and you're not going to ask about the brick?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:18 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,950 Posts
Stryker>SuperCub
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:21 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Stryker>SuperCub
Eh?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:29 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,950 Posts
I built a lightweight stryker that is insanely fun to fly. Make thee ole superChub a wee bit boring.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:35 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Good deal.

After all this and you're not going to ask about the brick?
I though you might be referring to this! My favorite YouTube channel, by the way

http://flitetest.com/articles/flying-cinder-block/

Flite Test - :60 Flying Brick (1 min 1 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:39 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
I built a lightweight stryker that is insanely fun to fly. Make thee ole superChub a wee bit boring.
That's whats nice about this hobby. There are so many ways to fly you can change up how it's done with different models. Get tired with one and switch to another for a while. Some stay in you hangar forever it seems...and you always find a time to fall back to it.. The SC is one of those.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:44 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,971 Posts
Quote:
I though you might be referring to this! My favorite YouTube channel, by the way
No, women do it that way, Im, talking a Brick.

Flying Brick, Reloaded (2 min 40 sec)
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:51 PM
CV-63/VR-62
New Haven, MI
Joined Aug 2009
497 Posts
Quote:
No, women do it that way, Im, talking a Brick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6QEE...4qpJg&index=12
"This video contains content from Warner Chappell and EMI, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."
Scottmac737 is offline Find More Posts by Scottmac737
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:54 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,950 Posts
Quote:
That's whats nice about this hobby. There are so many ways to fly you can change up how it's done with different models. Get tired with one and switch to another for a while. Some stay in you hangar forever it seems...and you always find a time to fall back to it.. The SC is one of those.
Totally man. All i have is 2 cubs and the stryker. About to buy a foamie 3D and i want a slope plane since its windy as hell here. Looking for advice in those threads as to what to buy.

But i love the superCub thread cause its filled with lots of knowledge. Any advice regarding those types of planes? Gene or anyone?

Hey so where is Naval Warfare these days? You guys always made me laugh.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:55 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmac737 View Post
"This video contains content from Warner Chappell and EMI, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."
odd. works here. Try this...

Flying Brick, Reloaded. (2 min 41 sec)
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:58 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmac737 View Post
Yeah, same.

Going to try through a proxy and see what happens... maybe Russia or China or something
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:08 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,408 Posts
Quote:
odd. works here. Try this...

http://vimeo.com/36618700
Yup, that one works.