HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:27 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,071 Posts
I expect it has been done.
But I have said on other threads. Gyros are for girlies. Fly the model.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:55 AM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
on the SC a gyro?
rodair is offline Find More Posts by rodair
Last edited by rodair; Dec 16, 2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:55 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Cañada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,320 Posts
I test all my new gadgets with the Super Cub. I just received my 3 axis V2 orange gyro and will be mounting it in "guess what"? The Super Cub airframe just is so stable is it does seem ridiculous, but when getting used to new things like trimming gyros or FPV they are the perfect test platform. Takes one unknown out of the process.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:14 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
I test all my new gadgets with the Super Cub. I just received my 3 axis V2 orange gyro and will be mounting it in "guess what"? The Super Cub airframe just is so stable is it does seem ridiculous, but when getting used to new things like trimming gyros or FPV they are the perfect test platform. Takes one unknown out of the process.
Good plan. I test all new stuff on an old reliable T-28. for the same reason.
That still makes you girlie, The t-28 is more manly.
Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:22 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Cañada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,320 Posts
Nothing girlie about six Howitzers at your disposal. L-4 Grasshopper in my opinion is the most underrated plane of WWII. Read this and I think you will agree.http://www.americanheritage.com/cont...over?page=show
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:51 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Nothing girlie about six Howitzers at your disposal. L-4 Grasshopper in my opinion is the most underrated plane of WWII. Read this and I think you will agree.http://www.americanheritage.com/cont...over?page=show
GREAT story! What adventures he had... My father was off the coast of Normandie on a troop ship on D-Day... he told me stories that gave me nightmares.

And yes, I "fly" a girlie plane - the Firebird Stratos
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:35 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,123 Posts
I'm looking to recommend this plane to a friend of mine. He is flying a micro Champ now and has tried out my son's Stratos. He wants something bigger and a "real" radio. Originally we were looking hard at the Apprentice, but cost is pretty high and he would have to buddy box to me for awhile. I started thinking maybe the Super Cub would be the way to go, the only downside is the lack of ailerions as he wants to move to a full four channel plane. I know adding them is very easy on the super cub but I wanted to make sure we could add them and keep the stock RX and speed control that comes with the BNF. For radio he wants a DX6i which is why the BNF.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a Sig Herr Air Boss
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:59 PM
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Nov 2012
62 Posts
I have the dx6i as well and cut ailerons into my cub. Same receiver, esc and motor. You will need a y-connector for the ailerons.
Adavid is offline Find More Posts by Adavid
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:37 PM
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
Home made water rudder

Hi Guys-
I soloed the SC back in August at my folks lake front place in South Carolina. I noted then that handling on the water was "challenging!" So I built a water rudder to attach to the tail wheel to see if that helps. Boy does it! The rudder was fabricated from piano wire. a piece of a 6" plastic ruler, and hot glue. I attached the rudder to the tail wheel with a couple of cable ties. The rudder is probably two times larger and heavier that it needs to be, so if I was to do it again, I would scale down. The SC handled it mod with grace.

Tom
SanRamonBrewer is offline Find More Posts by SanRamonBrewer
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:12 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
I'm looking to recommend this plane to a friend of mine. He is flying a micro Champ now and has tried out my son's Stratos. He wants something bigger and a "real" radio. Originally we were looking hard at the Apprentice, but cost is pretty high and he would have to buddy box to me for awhile. I started thinking maybe the Super Cub would be the way to go, the only downside is the lack of ailerions as he wants to move to a full four channel plane. I know adding them is very easy on the super cub but I wanted to make sure we could add them and keep the stock RX and speed control that comes with the BNF. For radio he wants a DX6i which is why the BNF.
The cub is the way to go in my opinion. A move I am sure will not be regretted.
The standard Rx in the BNF is 4ch configured for 3 ch flight so the switch to ailerons is easy as far as the electrics go.
The mechanics are well documented throughout this thread with various options available.
The Dx6i is a great choice of TX, or the new Orange Rx T-6 from Hobby King. This is a 6ch unit which is very similar in spec, lower price and has a backlit screen, if you can live with the colour.
Personally I have the Dx6i and given the choice would still buy it in preference to the Orange unit. It's a great Tx!
I would however recommend that if your friend is moving up from the Champ, that he flies the cub in standard trim for a bit before adding ailerons.
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:35 AM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
I can’t recommend the HZ SC enough. It is a great first plane, or if moving up from micros, a great first larger plane. It is easy to fly, fix and mod.
I have two, one is still three channel for when I just want to putput around in the air, one with ailerons, a Park 480 and 500 LEDs on it for low light flying.
And don't forget, you can add the floats and fly it off of water, snow and wet grass, so it is a year round plane.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:41 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Holiday wish...

Wishing everyone a Merry Xmas...
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:01 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,928 Posts
i also wish everyone a very merry christmas to you and your family.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:39 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,071 Posts

I also like to thank you for celebrating the birth of a Jewish boy and a happy new year. And may all your SC make safe landings.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:19 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,292 Posts
hey just got a great idea....Its probably one of the most crazy nights for shopping right well its clear its calm no wind i say i go mess with people shopping at target and fly the Super Cub UFO
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919